- Text Size +
Story Notes:
****Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

Pam walks out of the room, still grinning, eyes darting around. But he isn't there. Perplexed, she makes her way back to her desk.


As soon as she sits down and settles in she senses movement and sees him come in. A burst of joy once more washes over her and her eyes are stinging, but she doesn't care. He is looking at her and smiling...the first real smile she has seen from him in forever. He stops at her desk.


"Hey uh, I had to go get my bag." Jim lifts it up slightly to emphasize his point. "I kind of forgot it when I got here."


She grinned back. God, she felt like such a dork right now. "Good, for a second there I thought I had imagined it all."


His grin got a bit wider, if that was possible. "Nah you can't sneak out of dinner that easily."


A fake crestfallen look crossed her face. "Oh well, it was worth a try." It took all of 2 seconds for the goofy smile to spring back up.


"Uh oh he's back. What, did your girlfriend beat you out for the job?" Jim took his eyes off Pam..well tore them off... and sighed at Dwight.


"Good to see you too man. To tell you the truth I don't know if she got it or not. And she's not my girlfriend anymore so you'd have to ask her yourself I guess."

Dwight rolled his eyes at him, yet his focus was on the small gasp he heard from Pam. He turned back to her. "If you can be all honest and courageous the I guess I can too. So suck it Beesley." Her laugh was real and contagious....and it rocked his world as it always did.


Dwight once again interrupted his pleasant thought process. "So what was it Jim that cost you the job? That stupid haircut? Or maybe your sales numbers were just not up to snuff..unlike mine."


Jim resisted the urge to say something smartass. "Actually Dwight, I was offered the position. Turned it down."


A snort retorted that statement. "Whatever. You just don't want to admit the truth - you are just not management material."


With that statement he could not help himself anymore. "By the way, Dwight, I brought you back something from New York. David Wallace told me to give it to you."


Dwight's eyes filled with suspicion. "What are you talking about?"


Keeping a perfectly straight face, he replied, "I accidentally had a copy of your sales figures with mine and he saw them at the interview. He was so impressed he gave me a key to the Corporate Executive Bathroom..just for you."


"He did not. Where is it?" The look in Dwight's eyes was perfect. He was on the hook.


Opening his satchel, Jim pretended to fumble around looking for it. "Damn, it must have fell out somewhere in the parking lot. Sorry Dwight...my fault."


Giving him a disdaining look, Dwight shook his head. "Jim no wonder you lost that job." He gets up and strides purposefully past him. "You better hope I find it."


Pam bursts out laughing the second Dwight leaves, and he joins in. She gets serious for a second. "You really turned down the job?"


His face becomes still. "Wallace asked me where I saw myself in 10 years. I tried to think of the big city, working in Corporate. But all I could think of was you. And that was a good thought."


Pam didn't reply, but the tears standing in her eyes told him everything. He heaved his satchel back over his arm and set it down at the desk he had been at since the merger. He thought for a second, and then moved it to the other desk - the desk that was 'really' his. He took his jacket off, and sat down. He flashed Pam a quick smile. "Still fits."


She smiled and nodded. "Looks good on you."


"Hap Hap Hap Halpert!"


He swiveled around and give a small polite smile to Michael. "Hey, Michael."
"Just got off the phone with Corporate. What happened? Both of my playas in da house of Scott could not get the job? Well you did sort of...but you turned it down?"


He shrugged. "Yeah, I appreciated the offer and all, but I guess I realized that some things are more important."


Michael looked at him quizzically for a second, then shrugged. "Well, it's good to have you back here slim Jim. You got a second?"


"Uh, sure." He got up and shared a quick look with Pam as he followed Michael into his office.


Pam watched Jim follow Michael in. Her mind was racing. The phone rang. She didn't even hear it. She started the day preparing herself never to see him again. And it hurt like hell...but she would be ok. Then he walked in out of nowhere. She was still picturing him saying 'its a date.' And he did have the job. But he came back. For her. God, she loved him. She smiled again but so what? It was good to love again...to know that you are in love...and that it is not with strings attached or with 3 year engagements. It is with your best friend who just so happens to be the greatest guy in the world. "Not a bad day," she thought.


She grabbed a post-it note and scribbled down something. Picking up the phone, she dialed Michael's extension. it went straight his answering message. "Hey Michael its Pam. I’m not feeling well so I’m going home." She hung up the receiver and set the phone to go straight to voice mail. Gathering her stuff up as quickly as she could, she stuck the post-it note to Jim's monitor and left...literally walking on air.

Jim came out of Michael's office shaking his head to himself. He had just spent the last 20 minutes helping Michael find a moving service for Jan. Apparently she is coming to live with him here in Scranton. Good luck with all that Michael, he thought. He noticed Pam was not at her desk...then his eyes caught the post-it note in the middle of his computer screen. He peeled it off his monitor with a half-smile. It simply said:

"Google this address. Annoy Dwight some more, but give me time to get ready. Then come get me. I’m gonna knock your socks off Halpert. So suck on THAT."

He sat down at his desk, not caring about Dwight, Michael's moving dilemma, or work. He had only one thing on his mind....and she was going to be waiting for him. Eyes alight, he smiled and softly said, "Not a bad day."

Chapter End Notes:
****Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans