- Text Size +

More than anything I want to see you, girl

Take a glorious bite out of the whole world

 

Jim was driving faster than he should. He realized that. But the overwhelming urge to see her, to tell her that he’d been a fool, to remind her what they were and could be, to beg her to forgive him for being cold and pushing her away, to kiss her and call her his own, to confess that there wasn’t ever a moment that he hadn’t been madly in love with her.

He’d met Karen after his interview. He told her that he’d taken his name out of consideration, that Scranton was the only place that felt like home. She told him that she was disappointed and confused, but she loved him nonetheless, respected his decision, hoped that they could still build a life together.

Then, he broke her heart. He hadn’t meant to do it, never sought to break someone as he’d been broken. But he couldn’t stop it now. He mumbled something about Office Olympics, pink sweaters, mixed berry yogurt, and french onion chips. He told his girlfriend that no matter how hard he tried he couldn’t give her his heart.

His voice cracked when he told her that his heart belonged to someone else.

He drove faster now, speeding, stuck in his thoughts, wondering why it was that a silly note and a simple question were the driving force that had led him to the stunning realization that he wasn’t ready to not love Pam. He’d rather be miserable and pining away for a woman he loved and could never have, then be content and safe with a woman he could have and never love.

He burst through the office door, his heart dropping when her desk was empty. He turned to Dwight, demanding to know where Pam was, and watched as the man pointed into the conference room.

He rushed to the door, opening it, charging through, realizing only then that there was a camera crew poised and ready. Then, he felt entirely stupid, comprehending that he hadn’t actually planned on what the hell to say to her the entire trip here.

Somehow though, it didn’t matter. She looked at him like she thought she was never going to see him again, relieved, shocked, and glad. And suddenly all the time and distance and hurt between them melted away.

He asked her on a date, she said yes, and it felt easy, right, good, simple. He was happy.

Yes, Jim Halpert realized that he could most definitely be happy. Here, in Scranton, sitting at his old desk, with his Pam, forever and ever.

Then, he told himself that they would be happy.



MissKeri is the author of 3 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 4 members. Members who liked You Could Be Happy also liked 1098 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans