- Text Size +

You could be happy, I hope you are

 

Pam stood in front of her art exhibit, nerves shaking her inside. This was the first time she was stepping out into the world, gathering up at least a little bit of courage to show the world a piece of her. Because she’d been hiding for entirely too long. In the shadows, behind Roy, in insecurity and inadequacy.

But no more. She posted flyers, she hung her art proudly, she waited and waited. Roy briefly stopped by, and she was happy he made an effort. An effort, at least, was something to hang onto. Oscar and Gil came by, but she found herself hiding again, embarrassed and shunned by harsh words. Michael even showed up, his eyes were the only ones that lit up with pride.

Jim hadn’t come, hadn’t congratulated her, or wished her luck, or had valued their friendship enough to be here on her big night. He was off, being happy, with Karen, and she...she was here, at her art show, disappointed that she’d put herself out there only to find that nobody in the world seemed to care about her.

Her eyes searched her illustrations as her heart hoped that he was happy even though she wasn’t and wondered if she ever would be again.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans