- Text Size +
Tate had been the front desk guard in Dunder-Mifflin’s building for seven years, and he felt like he knew the lanky paper-pusher Jim pretty well for only seeing him in passing everyday.  He’d always been friendly and never entered the building without a hello or left for the night without a wave towards the front desk.  Tate was not surprised when the young man had moved to another Dunder-Mifflin; after all, he’d been in the Scranton branch nearly as long as guard himself.  Young people needed to move around a bit before they settled down and why not get a little closer to New York City if you could?   

Now, Jim coming back?  That was kind of hard for Tate to explain.  Sure, the kid came in with nicer suits on and must have gotten a promotion, and there had been a merger he’d heard.  He guessed those things happen.  But really, why come back to Scranton?  And he didn’t much like the people who had come from that other office.  That one brunette rubbed him the wrong way.  Not at first, but there was something about her and Jim...

 

The only reason he could find to dislike Carrie? Carla?...Karen; the only thing about Karen was that there was hardly a time when Jim exited the elevator with her and was smiling.  It seemed like the lift was a tiny, moving torture chamber that Jim was willingly subjecting himself to.  Tate knew that they were dating; arriving at the same time, leaving at the same time, Karen with a possessive hand on his arm or back.  Why they were dating was the part that he was having trouble with.  As of late, they came in to work together more regularly, but Jim had bags under his eyes that had bags under them, and he had taken to getting increasingly larger cups of Dunkin’ Donuts coffee before coming in.  All was not right in that relationship.

 

The day that the receptionist came off of the same elevator as the unhappy couple gave Tate a moment of pause; that was something he had never seen in all the time that Kath...Karen had been there.  In fact, Pam being in there with Jim was unusual too.  Well, it didn’t used to be, but it was since he’d been back.  Interesting.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans