- Text Size +

Jim and Pam come into the lobby together, hands animatedly punctuating their conversation.  The young manager enthusiastically steps up to Tate’s desk and slaps his palms on the counter. 

 

“Tate!  How are you this on fine morning?!”

 

Taken aback by Jim’s formal wording and alertness at 8 am, Tate slowly uttered: “I’m doin’ alright Jim; you’re obviously doing well.”

 

Looking down at his companion Jim implores her to tell Tate why, a thrill in his voice.

 

“Well, Tate, I don’t know if you noticed, but my left hand is a little sparklier today,” she beams, raising said hand to give the guard a view of her new engagement ring, while she smacks Jim with other for snorting at “sparklier”.

 

A grin spread across Tate’s face.  “Miss Pam Beesly, that is wonderful.  Congratulations kids.”

 

“You’re the first Dunder-Miffliner to hear, so consider yourself special,” the giddy receptionist laughed.

 

Grabbing his fiancée’s hand and pulling her to the elevator, Jim spoke over his shoulder.

“We’ve got to go plan how we’re going to tell everyone; don’t spill the beans, Tate!”

 

“Oh, sure, I’ll let all of your co-workers know they’re in for a real treat when they get up to the office today.”

 

As the couple walked into the car, Jim retorted, “Isn’t every day a treat in our office?” 

 Pam looked down at her hand entwined with Jim’s, the doors closed, and Tate chuckled to himself, “No one should be that excited about going to work.”


secondrink is the author of 4 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 3 members. Members who liked Tales from the Front Desk also liked 2115 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans