- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Jim and Pam discover they share a big office secret, and discuss their comic book identities.

Jim carried the bags to the car just after they checked out. He then opened the door for Pam, and she got into the car. Jim switched on the radio as he drove out of the Resort parking lot. Pam changed the channel on the radio a few times before deciding she didn't like any of the selections. So, she took out her Ipod and hooked it up to the stereo. She put on a playlist and set the Ipod down between the two seats.

As they entered Scranton, Pam saw a billboard advertising the Steamtown Rail Museum. She suddenly burst out into laughter. Jim turned to her curiously (though still keeping his eyes on the road).

"You alright, there?" Jim wondered.

"Oh, it's nothing. I just saw that sign for the museum, and thought... it would be the kind of place Dwight would take Angela--" Pam then quickly covered her mouth, realizing the secret she had let out. "Ohmygod!" she exclaimed. "I wasn't supposed to say anything.  Angela is going to KILL me! Please promise me you won't say anything!"

"Oh, well, uh, I... actually already know."

Pam dropped her jaw in surprise, knowing Dwight would not have trusted him with such sensitive information. "How did you find out?"

"I kinda... saw them making out one day," Jim confessed.

"Ew," Pam mumbled. "I mean, well, I'm sure they're great for each other."

"Yes," Jim agreed. "They will keep each other from the innocent public. Although if they reproduce, who knows what kind of havoc that child will sow."

"Yeah," Pam said with a nod.

"How did you find out?" Jim asked. "And more importantly, why didn't you tell me?"

"Well, first of all, Jim, you didn't tell me either. And, I promised Angela," she added. "I sorta just... figured it out and pieced some things together. And then when I mentioned it to Angela, she didn't deny it, so..."

"Well, at least you did not have the traumatizing experience I had," Jim stated. "I mean, that whole... scene... is stuck in my head for all time."

Pam laughed loud, and Jim smiled at the sound of it. Then she started to laugh even harder.

"C'mon, it wasn't that funny!"

"No, no, I just started thinking--what if we went on a double date with them?"

"Bees, you have really lost it, you know that?"

Pam continued to laugh at the thought. Suddenly Pam looked to Jim inquizitively. "You don't think we're the only ones who know, do you? I mean, obviously Michael doesn't know, and Kelly doesn't know, because then everyone would know by now. But I mean, there's gotta be other people who've pieced it together, like I did, right? And we just don't know? 'Cause if we knew, but we didn't know that we both knew, then surely there are others."

"We should start a support group," Jim suggested. He pulled into his parking spot at his apartment complex.

"So what do we do now?" Pam asked.

"About Dight and Angela? I say we push it out of our minds, because that is not what I wanted to think about when I'm spending the weekend with you," Jim said with a grin.

"No, I mean what are we doing now?"

"Ah, right now, we are sitting in my car."

"Shut up," Pam chuckled with a roll of her eyes. She opened the car door and got out. Jim did likewise and headed to the trunk, where he retrieved the two bags. The couple then walked up to his apartment and set the bags just inside the door.

"You know, we never finished the, uh, Kevin Smith marathon," Jim noted. "I'll order a pizza and we can watch that for a while."

"And this is your idea of a romantic weekend?" Pam challenged. "Kevin Smith and pizza?"

Jim shrugged. "Hey, it got me lucky the other night, didn't it?"

Pam rolled her eyes. "We had steak and ribs that night, not pizza."

"Oh, so it's the steak and ribs that gets me lucky--I see now," Jim muttered, taking the DVD out of his bag and opening the case.

Pam went into the kitchen and helped herself to a beer. She got one out for Jim as well and joined him where he was now seated on the couch. She handed him the beer just as the opening to Chasing Amy began.

"What is it with guys and comics?" Pam asked. "I just don't get it."

Jim shrugged. "I guess it's like girls and romance novels. They want to read about the things that'll never happen for them. They want to be someone they can never be."

"I guess that makes sense," she conceded. "So who do you wanna be?"

"What?"

"What comic book hero would you want to be?" she clarified.

Jim narrowed his eyes and gave that cute sideways frown that was displayed when he was deep in thought. "Well, who says I want to be a hero?"

"Oh, so you want to be the villain?" Pam asked. "The bad-boy Jim is coming out now! I knew there was a reason I was attracted to you." Pam flashed a wide grin at Jim.

"I think I would be... the illegitimate love child between The Ridller and Wonder Woman."

"Wow," Pam said with a giggle. "Was not expecting that."

"Best of both worlds," he explained with a shrug. "All the powers and superhuman strength of Wonder Woman, and the impish wit of The Riddler." After a moment, he asked, "What about you? I'm sure you've picked up a comic book or two in your day. You are an illustrator, after all."

Pam smiled and rolled her eyes. "Well, I've always wanted to be Cat Woman, because she gets to kick ass in a really sexy outift, but... now cats just make me think of Angela, so I think I'd rather be Sheena."

Jim blinked in surprise and shook his head in wonder. "That's... wow.  And... now I'm picturing you in an animal skin bikini, and that's... really great."

Pam rolled her eyes and grinned widely. "Whatever, dork--let's just watch the movie."

"Oh, so now you want to watch the movie? Ok, I see..." he teased.

The pizza came and Jim got up to get it. He paid and brought it into the living room. They continued watching the movie, laughing and chatting about the plot.

After the movie ended, Jim put in the next one: Jay and Silent Bob Strike Back. Pam and Jim laughed through that movie (especially after they had a few more beers), and when it was over, Jim turned the TV off and stretched.

"You, uh, getting ready for something?" she teased, seeing how long he had been stretching.

"Do I need to get ready for something?" he teased in return.

Pam grinned as she grabbed her overnight bag and ran into the bathroom. "Give me a few minutes, k?" she called from inside.

Jim took those few moments to clean up the living room. He threw out the beer bottles and put the remaining pizza in the fridge. As he exited the kitchen, the phone rang.

"Hello?" he answered.

"Hey," came the familiar voice.

Jim sighed. "I can't talk right now, Karen. We've discussed this as much as we can, and I'm not ruining my weekend by rehashing the past with you."

"Oh, so me just calling and trying to be friendly would ruin your weekend? What the hell?"

"I just know that it won't stay friendly--it'll turn into a fight, and I don't want to do that right now."

Karen sighed. "Fine, whatever. But can we talk about this sometime next week?"

"Look, I don't have a problem if you want to talk--but we've talked about this plenty of times, and I've made my decision. Besides, our talking always turns into fighting, and I really don't see the point in that. So no, I won't talk to you next week. I'm sorry, but you really need to just put us behind you."

There were a few seconds of silence before Jim heard the dial tone. He gratefully hung the phone up and walked back towards his bedroom. Pam soon came out of the bathroom wearing an incredibly sexy dark blue satin nightgown.

Jim looked her over and whispered, "Wow." He had definitely made the right choice.

Chapter End Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans