- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Jim and Pam have a breakfast cook-off. Jim takes Pam to his friend's house for a barbeque. This one's a bit longer than the others. Hope you enjoy. This is the last one for this story, so be sure to post responses! :)

Pam felt Jim shift under her arm. She readjusted her head so that it rested comfortably on his shoulder. After a few moments, she heard his stimach growling. She opened her eyes and glanced up at him. He was wide awake, and had apparently been that way for some time. What was he doing? Just watching her sleep?

Pam grinned as she lifted her head to kiss him chastely on the lips. "You're hungry," she observed. "Let me make you breakfast."

"Can you cook?" Jim teased.

"Damn straight," she assured him, moving to a sitting position. She leaned over the side of the bed brielfy to find her nightgown on the floor and then pulled it over her head. "Better than you can, Halpert."

"No," he said simply, shaking his head. "No one can outcook James Halpert."

"Well, Pamela Beesly can," she told him with a quirky smile.

"Is that a challenge?" Jim asked, sitting upright. "You're on Beesly. Name the terms."

Pam thought for a moment. "Loser has to be nice to Dwight AND Andy for two full workdays."

"It's a bet," he said, exetending his hand. As she went to shake it, he pulled it away with a chuckle.

Pam rolled her eyes and got up to go into the kitchen, leaving Jim to get dressed and join her shortly. "So how is this working?" she called from the kitchen.

Jim entered the ktichen, wearing sweatpants and a thin white undershirt, to answer her question. ""I will cook, you'll see that I have superior skills, and then you'll be nice to Dwight and Andy for two full workdays."

Pam rolled her eyes. "No, seriously. We gotta lay out the ground rules."

"We'll each cook for each other, and whoever makes the best food--the best tasting and the most creative--wins."

Pam nodded and took out a few eggs. She made Jim an omlette with onions, cheese, a few spices (such as paprika and oregano), and minced ham. She also made a side of hash browns (from scratch, not a bag!) and a few sausages. Pam then made a happy face with the sausages, and used the hash browns as hair (making sure to make the hair messy, like Jim's).

Pam was actually quite impressed that he had all the ingredients she needed. She wondered if he had bought breakfast food in anticipation of this weekend.

Jim made Pam a unique meal of eggs fried inside the hole of a piece of toast. He added bacon bits and seasonings, and melted cheese on top. On the side, he sliced oranges and cooked home fries (also from scratch).

After tasting the competition's food, it came time to decide upon a winner.

Jim sighed, covering his stomach, indicating that he was full. "Quite a meal, Bees," he admitted. "But I don't know... mine was pretty creative."

"Hey, mine had a face! That's art!" Pam argued. "Although, yours was pretty creative." She thought a moment. "I think for the sake of Vodkaski, we should call it even."

Jim nodded. "You're right. We can't be nice to them both when we have such a great plan for them. Alright, it's a tie."

"Good," Pam said with a nod. She finished her orange slices and picked up the plates to bring them to the sink. "So what's next on the itinerary for the Halpert Memorial Weekend?"

"Oh, uh, there's a barbeque at Mark's, today around two."

Pam looked at the clock. "Well, it's only eleven," she said.

Jim curved up his lip. "Another movie?"

"You are such a geek!"

"Your choice," he promised.

Pam smiled wryly. "Ok," she said slowly, going over to his DVD collection. She did not expect to see it there, but--yes! There it was. "I can't believe you actually have it!" she exclaimed, picking up Legally Blonde.

Jim shrugged. "It was reccommended to me as a guilty pleasure, so I had to try it," he said with a wink.

"Well, that's my choice."

Jim nodded and headed to the couch. Pam curled up beside him after putting the movie in the DVD player.

When the movie was finished, Pam jumped into the shower and got dressed. As she brushed her hair and did her make up, Jim showered and dressed. It was just about two when they were ready to go, so they both headed down to Jim's car.

About ten minutes later, they arrived at Mark's house (previously Jim's place before he moved to Stamford. But when he returned, Mark had gotten another roommate, so Jim had to find a new place). The place was bursting with people. Jim raised his eyebrows, impressed with how many people had come, especially so early in the party.

As they walked up the street (since they had to park a little ways away) and up the driveway, Jim wove his fingers through Pam's. The front door was open, so they just walked in, loud music blasting at them as they entered. Jim found Mark in the back, grilling hot dogs, hamburgers and chicken.

A group just inside the house was singing along with the music. Pam smiled, being reminded of the barbeque Jim had so many months before. She looked at her side, where Jim stood, and relished in that moment.

"Hey, man!" Mark called from behind the grill. "How's it going?"

Jim reached over the grill with his free hand to shake Mark's hand. "It's goin... great, actually. Hey, you remember Pam, right?"

"How could I forget?" Mark asked rhetorically, reaching to shake Pam's hand. "You never stopped talking about her the whole time you were living here." He paused, taking a sip of the beer on a nearby table. He then turned to Pam. "So you finally gave into this guy, huh?"

Pam nodded. "Yes, he was very persistent," she laughed.

Jim smiled. "Well, someone once told me to never ever give up, so... I gotta follow that advice, ya know?"

"Hey, there's some beers in the cooler over there," Mark said, nodding towards a blue Igloo cooler on the grass nearby. "Or sodas in the fridge--whatever."

Jim relinquished Pam's hand for only a moment to grab the beers. He opened one and handed it to Pam before opening his own and taking a sip.

"Look, I don't know if this is stepping over any lines, but," Mark began, leaning to the side as if telling a secret. "I've always liked Pam better than Karen."

Jim smiled. "Yeah, me too."

"Man, that woman was a bitch, wasn't she?"

Pam smiled. "I won't comment on what I think of Karen. I'd rather be having fun and not thinking about her."

"Right, right," Mark said, nodding. "Sorry--I just had to say it, ya know?"

"No problem," Jim said with a shrug. He moved his hand across Pam's back and found the little spot where her shirt met her jeans. He snuck a few fingers under the shirt and ran them across the soft skin at the small of her back. She wiggled a little, since that was a very ticklish spot for her, and he just smiled contently.

After another very short conversation with Mark, Jim went inside to find a few more friends. He found Mark's girlfriend, Lisa, and the new roommate, Steve.

Steve, as it turned out, came from Pittsburgh and transfered here with his IT company. He and Jim soon fell into a debate about basketball, and who would win the college nationals. Pam became bored and sought out Lisa, the one person she remembered from the barbeque so long ago.

Lisa was very nice, and she had taken some art in college, so they did have something to talk about. Lisa's friend, Susan, joined them in the conversation.

Another hour in, Jim came to Pam from behind and wrapped his arms around her waist. "You want something to eat?" he asked, right next to her ear.

Pam nodded. "A burger would be great," she said. "Thanks," she added as Jim walked away towards the grill.

"Jim is really great, isn't he?" Lisa sighed. "Sometimes I wish Mark were as sweet as Jim. But then, that's also what I love about Mark. He's not so... romantic and gushy."

Susan smiled. "Yeah, but frills and romance is nice," she said wistfully. "I mean, if he weren't already with someone, I'd totally go for him."

Pam smiled awkwardly. "Yeah, well..." She didn't know what else to say, so she just nodded.

"I don't want to make you feel weird or anything," Susan declared. "I'm just saying--a guy who's that hot, who's also sweet? That's pretty rare."

Pam nodded, glancing back at Jim standing just outside the sliding glass door. "He is pretty wonderful," she agreed. "My only regret with him is that it took me so long to come around."

"What do you mean?" Susan asked.

"Well, when I first met Jim, I was engaged--to my highschool sweetheart. Who... was no sweetheart. He was... a jerk, to put it simply. But I was too stubborn--or stupid--to break it off. So, even though I knew Jim liked me, and even though I knew he was better for me--and just better all around--I stayed with my fiance. But now..." Pam shrugged. "It hasn't been easy, but I'm glad we're finally here--together, I mean."

Susan cooed. "Aw, that's so sweet! You broke up with your fiance for him? That totally sounds like a movie!"

Pam laughed. "Well, actually, it will be a movie someday," Pam noted.

Susan wrinkled her brows. "What do you mean?"

"Well, Jim and I work in this office, and there's a documentary company that films us there. They've caught a lot of our... moments... on film. It's actually pretty cool--at least I think it will be. None of us have even seen clips of it yet. You guys should see it when it comes out. Although I'm really starting to wonder if they'll ever finish! I mean, they've been filming us for like... two years, and they still haven't finished." Jim came up to her with a plate of food: a burger, chips, and a few snacking veggies from the platter that hardly anyone had touched.

"That's weird," Lisa said.

"What's weird?" Jim asked, trying to catch up on the conversation.

"The documentary crew taking so long to finish," Pam explained.

Jim closed his eyes briefly and shrugged. "I actually have two theories on that. One, either things are getting too interesting for them to stop; or two, Michael's been paying them this whole time, and that's where 75% of his salary goes."

Pam tried not to laugh, since she was already chewing her buger. But she laughed anyways and simply covered her mouth with her hand. She finished chewing and commented, "Yeah, I think it's that second one."

Jim shrugged. "I'd believe it." He then walked away to retrieve a burger of his own.

The evening progressed steadily, and eventually Pam and Jim decided to call it a night. They had drunk just enough to still be sober enough to drive, and some of the guests were getting a little out of hand (since the shots had started about an hour earlier).

Jim drove to his apartment and parked.

"I think I should just go home tonight," Pam said reluctantly as they walked up the steps to Jim's apartment door. "I don't have any work clothes, and I should really get some rest. I've gotta be fresh tomorrow so I can look up Russian websites."

Jim chuckled and retrieved her bag and walked her to her car. "You're alright to drive?" he asked. Pam nodded, digging her keys out of her purse. She opened the passenger door and Jim tossed the bag inside. He then followed her around to the driver's side. Pam leaned back against the door and Jim placed his hands on her waist.

"I'll see you tomorrow," she told him, looking up into those dark green eyes.

He bent down and kissed her solidly on the lips. He lingered for a moment, not wanting to let her go. He was comforted, though, with the thought that he intended for her to be the last woman he would ever kiss. There was no turning away from her. As long as he didn't mess anything up, she would always be his. He smiled with a sigh and finally let her go. She reluctantly got into her car and drove away. Jim watched her as she left.

He nodded solemnly. "Yeah," he said, walking back to his apartment. "It was a good weekend."

Chapter End Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


receptionist is the author of 7 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 11 members. Members who liked Memorial Day also liked 1925 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans