- Text Size +
Just before Pam left for lunch, Dwight and Andy returned. Both men looked strange. Pam thought she heard Andy whimper, "Beets," as he walked past. After a few moments, Dwight quietly made his way to reception. "I think Andy has...issues. He kicked a hole in Mose's barn." Saddened, he made his way back to his desk.

Pam grabbed Jim's cell phone and charger and some other items she thought he might be able to use and put them in his messenger bag. She bought some jelly beans and another item and hurried to the hospital. As she was approaching the elevator, she thought she saw Angela's familiar figure through the closing metal doors. Why would Angela visit Jim?

Another elevator door opened and Pam walked in, quickly pushing the button to Jim's floor. She was struck by a horrible, but oddly fascinating thought. What if Angela and Jim had a secret affair before Pam came to work at Dunder Mifflin? That might explain the accountant's hostility to the salesman.

As the door opened, Pam snuck her head outside the door and peaked down the hall. Sure enough, Angela was entering Jim's room.

"Are you getting out?" A voice asked.

Pam remembered she wasn't alone in the elevator. "Yeah, sorry." She hoped the blush on her cheeks would fade before she saw Jim.

As she approached Jim's door, she heard him say, "I'm really glad you came. I just want to say how sorry I am about what happened after my last... thing."

Pam thought, "Oh my God! They did have an affair!" She stepped back so they wouldn't see her.

Jim continued, "When I came back to the office and you said that I'd be welcome to attend your church, I should have reacted better. Me saying that if there was a God he wouldn't have done this to me was out of line. I should have apologized right after that. My only excuse was that I was in a bad place and by the time I realized what a jerk I'd been, you'd quite understandably written me off as a bad person."

"Thank you for apologizing. I'm sorry that you felt you had to go to Toby about it."

Jim's confusion was evident in his voice. "I never went to Toby. I was an ass, but I'd never try to get you in trouble."

"Oh," Angela said. "Well, I guess it was someone else." Pam could tell Angela was confused. The accountant finally continued, "Only it happened like the next day..."

"Angela, I'm serious. I didn't talk to Toby."

"I...I believe you," Angela allowed. Pam could almost hear the tightly wound accountant fidgeting.

Jim filled the conversational void, "I really need to thank you for what you did yesterday."

"That's not why I'm here. I..." Angela said. Pam could tell she was working herself up to saying something that was important to her. "Michael announced this morning that you and Pam apparently are in love."

"Did he actually say it out loud? Was Pam there?" Jim asked. Apparently Angela nodded. "Poor Beesly. That's so not what she wanted to have happen."

"Anyway," Angela pressed on. "Pam isn't so...She tries..." Finally, she bit the bullet and said, "Pam is my friend."

Pam could hear the little gasp in Angela's voice that she'd actually been able to say it.

"And she's had a hard time the last few months. You need to be good to her."

"I'll try my best," Jim answered.

"And-you-should-make-an-honest-woman-of-her-and-go-to-church." It all came out as one word in a gasp.

"I'll see what she thinks about that as soon as I can," Jim promised.

"And you could be nicer to Dwight...in sales."

Jim chuckled at that. "You know the office would be a lot less fun if that happened."

"Dwight can be enjoyable when he's...stimulated," Angela said. Pam could tell the accountant was smiling. "But no more dye in the shower. That was really...dangerous."

"I'll remember that," Jim promised.

"Get better," Angela said as she started walking to the door.

Pam ducked into the next room and closed the door. The older gentleman in the bed asked, "Did Charlie send you?" with wide eyes. Pam leaned her head back against the door and sighed. She didn't have any more blood to send to her cheeks.

"Sorry, wrong room."

"Believe me, I'm the one who's sorry." Seeing Pam's shocked look, he rationalized. "Hey, I've got a quadruple bypass in two days. Gotta live while you can, ya know?"

Pam exited as quickly as she could.

Jim smiled as Pam entered his room. "Your face is flushed, did you run up the stairs or something?" he asked.

"No, it's just the kind of day I'm having," Pam replied as she came to his bed and gave him a longer, softer kiss than she had earlier in the day.

When they parted, Jim said, "Angela just left. She told me about Michael's little announcement."

Pam pulled up a chair beside his bed. "I know. I heard you talking when I came in and I didn't want to intrude." She started putting the items she'd brought on the table by Jim's bedside.

"Didn't want to intrude or were more interested in playing Harriet the Spy?" Jim asked, amused as he took her hand.

"I was always more of a Nancy Drew girl," Pam said. "So why was Angela here?"

"We just needed to clear some things up, and I wanted to thank her for, you know, the whole life saving thing."

"Good," Pam relied as she leaned back into her chair. "Dwight and Andy got back just as I was getting ready to leave. I'm not sure who was in worse shape."

"Maybe they'll bother each other so much they'll leave the rest of us alone," Jim said, wistfully.

"I don't know," Pam mused. "I mean, Dwight is strange, but I'm used to him. I think I like him more than Andy." She really had been creeped out by the Stamford guy this morning.

"Well, as number two I have to be impartial, but I'm not saying you can't take sides," Jim replied.

"Good," Pam smiled, "Because when I got your jelly beans I also found this," she reached into her purse and took out a jar of beet juice. "I'm thinking of leaving it on Andy's desk tonight."

"Nice touch," Jim agreed. "Subtle."

Doctor Lambert, Jim's heart doctor, came into the salesman's room. "Hi Jim," he said. "everything is looking pretty good this morning," he said as he looked through his notes. "And you are..." he asked, looking at Pam.

"This is Pam Beesly," Jim replied. "My girlfriend." Jim looked at Pam and shyly smiled. "It's nice to finally be able to call you that." Pam smiled back at him, then looked at their intertwined hands. They seemed to fit together nicely.

The doctor interrupted their moment, "Jim, I need to discuss your new medications with you...this may not be the best time..."

Jim took a deep breath. "I need to deal with this. Pam, if you're okay with staying..."

"I want to know," she replied.

Doctor Lambert looked at them. It was like he was giving either of them a moment to change their minds. Finally he started. "Okay, first the good news. The heart musculature is okay. The pacemaker is functioning as designed. There should be no problem with discharging you tomorrow. You can be back at work on Monday. Keep up with your meds and you can start physical therapy next week, with a return to normal activities in a month."

"Wow," Pam said. "That sounds great."

"Yeah," Jim said, but he noticed the look on his doctor's face. "What's the bad news?"

The doctor didn't hesitate. "We've had to switch your medication. With the new drug, there is a chance you will have certain sexual side effects."

Jim's face paled, "Do you mean, impotence?"

Pam didn't know what to say. She looked away from Jim and tried to focus on the doctor.

"Based on our clinical data, it's reported in about ten percent of our patients. If it happens, we can explore medical options."

"Okay," Jim said, slowly. "We can discuss this later. Thanks for letting me know."

"Fine," the doctor replied. "I'll get some information for you before we let you go. The main thing to remember Jim is that this medication is what's keeping you alive. We can find ways to deal with any side effects that you encounter, but you will need to take this for the foreseeable future."

Jim nodded. "I know. We'll make it work." The earlier optimism in Jim seemed to have faded, replaced by a grim knowledge that this was what he had to do. ‘

The doctor mentioned a few other cautions and was out of Jim's room a few minutes later, leaving an overpowering silence in his wake.

"You probably need to get back to the office," Jim finally said.

"Jim, it's going to be okay," Pam said.

"I hope so," Jim answered. "It's just like it seems were finally on the same page and now this..."

She leaned forward and kissed him again. She could only imagine how worried Jim was right now. There were a couple of times Roy had "a little problem" after a night of drinking and he was always deeply embarrassed afterwards. She wanted to do something to make Jim feel better. "We'll get through this...." She paused and smiled. "Do me a favor."

"Sure, anything," Jim replied.

"Stick out your tongue," Pam said. Jim complied. Pam continued, "Hmmm." She said as if in contemplation. "Yes, I think we'll be just fine."

She was rewarded by seeing Jim's face redden. "Beesly!" It felt good to cause a blush for a change.

Pam finally had to get back to the office so she walked to the elevators. The door opened and a tall blonde with obviously fake boobs and a naughty nurse's outfit on walked out. Pam had to ask. "Did Charlie send you?"

The blonde nodded.

"Room 203," Pam replied. "Be careful, this is the coronary ward. And stay away from room 205." There are some things Jim was better off not seeing, regardless of his medical condition.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans