- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
At the hospital Dwight helped Pam out of the car and grabbed Jim and pulled him out of the backseat. "Sorry about your window, man," Jim muttered apologetically. Dwight just glared at him, and then held his arm out to stop Michael from getting out.

"No, Michael. Pam has given me express orders that you and Andy are to stay in the car at all costs."

"Whhhaaat? I don't want to stay in here. It smells like puke, and Andy snores," he protested loudly. "At least call Jan and have her come get me."

"Already did, and she said no. Your baby is sleeping. You have to stay here."

"But why? I'll be good. I promise."

Dwight slammed the door on him and ran inside to get a wheelchair for Pam, who said, "It's okay, I'd rather walk," but was ignored. Jim just stood there, propped against the car, trying not to fall over. When Dwight returned with the wheelchair and a hospital orderly to help them get to the maternity ward, Pam looked at Jim and said, "I think he might need that more than I do." The orderly looked puzzled but didn't protest when Jim got into the chair. "Long story," mumbled Pam.

"So then, you can take it from here," Dwight said, standing back as they started into the hospital.

"What? No, you can't leave! I'll be alone!" she cried out.

"What are you talking about? Jim is right there," he said, pointing at Jim, who looked as though he was going to throw up again.

"Oh, come on! Does he really look like he's 'right there'?" She was about to cry. This was her worst nightmare.

Dwight's expression softened a bit. "Okay, okay. I'll just make sure you get settled in and then I will take the drunks home."

"Thank you," she said quietly.

When they got the maternity ward Pam was in the middle of a contraction, so Dwight told them they were here to check in.

"What's your wife's name, sir?" said the nurse, glancing from Pam down to Jim in the wheelchair.

"Oh, she's not my wife," he said. "That's her husband, but he's drunk," he said matter of factly. He lowered his voice, "Might you have an IV cocktail you can give him?"

The nurse just stared at him. "Um, so what is her name?"

"Oh, Pamela Beesly-Halpert. Do you need her social security number? Blood type? First pet's name?"

"That won't be necessary, sir," the nurse replied, and then approached Pam. "Let's get you to your room." They walked down the corridor to the room, the orderly still pushing Jim's wheelchair. Pam had another contraction as soon as she got in the room, and then the nurse asked her to change into a hospital gown. Dwight just stood there.

"Um, Dwight?" Pam said.

"You said you wanted me to stay."

"Okay, but..." Just then another contraction hit her, and she doubled over in pain. She couldn't speak at first but she took a breath and choked out, "Get nurse. Have to push."

Dwight ran outside and returned with the nurse, and then stood outside while the nurse helped Pam change and got her into bed. When he re-entered the room he saw Jim was throwing up into a bed pan. He walked over and hoisted Jim up by his shirt. "Jim! Your baby is coming. Now!" Jim swayed on his heels and said simply, "Okay." He walked over to Pam and held her hand. "I am so... sorry," he said softly.

She didn't reply but squeezed his hand. Hard. He yelped out in pain. "What was that for?"

"If you have to ask..." she snarled. At that point the nurse examined Pam, determining that she was, indeed, ready to push already, and the doctor entered the room. Dwight stood in the doorway, seemingly unsure whether to stay or go.

"Pam," Jim whispered into her ear.

"What?" she snapped.

"Why is Dwight here?"

"Jim?"

"Yeah?"

"Bite me."

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans