- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.
Jim opened his eyes, not immediately recognizing his surroundings. He blinked a few times. The light was still dim, and the sun was just barely out. Suddenly some memories flickered in his head.

"I have an idea! Kar-ee-oh-kee!"

"Almost Paradise, knocking on heaven's door...."

"Your wife is in labor. Get a hold of yourself."

"Jim's pretty wasted."

"Jim! Your baby is coming. Now!"

"It's a boy!"

"Do you want to cut the cord, Daddy?"

He couldn't remember anything after that. He bolted upright, looking for Pam. She was in the hospital bed, facing away from him. "Pam?" He started to get up but felt a sharp pain in his arm. "Ouch! What the hell?"

Pam turned around. "Don't get up," she said. "You have an IV."

"What? Why?" He looked down at his arm and saw that he did, in fact, have an IV. And that he had been sleeping on a tiny fold-out bed in Pam's hospital room.

"You passed out. Right after the baby came, when they asked you to cut the cord. You hit your head on the floor, and Dwight jumped in and tried to do CPR, so they had to have security remove him. Then they tried to take you down to the ER, but one of the nice doctors here looked you over and told them to just give you an IV and let you sleep it off."

Jim had never been so embarrassed in his entire life. "Pam, God, I am so sorry. This is the biggest fuck-up in the history of... wait, the baby?!" He started to get up again, feeling like his head was about to explode. Pam lifted her right arm and turned slightly, revealing a tiny bundle.

"Six pounds, ten ounces," she said, smiling. "And he's perfect. No issues for being a tiny bit early."

Jim felt the tears brimming in his eyes. "Can I... hold him?"

"Not yet you can't," a voice from the doorway said. A nurse that he didn't remember (not that he remembered any of them) came into the room, walking over to him and examining his IV. "I don't think you need this anymore," she said, unceremoniously yanking it out as Jim yelped. "Now you can hold him."

Jim went over to Pam's bed and very gently took the sleeping baby from her arms. He was so tiny, so perfect. Jim brushed a tear off his cheek. "He's beautiful," he said, his voice cracking. Pam reached up and touched the tiny hand sticking out of the blanket. "Yes, he is," she said.

Jim was in awe, but his thoughts soon went back to what had happened the night before. "Pam, I - "

"Don't," she said. "Just... not now, okay? It will probably take me a long time to forgive you, but right now I just want to forget about it and enjoy William."

"William? I thought we were naming him Jacob?"

"No, he looks like a William," she said.

He just nodded and said, "Okay. Whatever you want." He looked down at the baby again. "Yeah, he does kind of look like a William."

For a few minutes he just stood there watching his son sleep. His son. William. He couldn't believe it. He was a daddy - one that didn't exactly get the best start, but a daddy nonetheless.

The baby started to stir, and let out a little cry. Jim quickly handed him back to Pam. "Did he... eat already?" he asked.

"Yes, he nurses like a professional!" Pam beamed, as she put the baby to her breast.

"A professional, eh?" Jim smirked.

Just then the nurse came back to the room and said, "Excuse me, but there is a man outside that says he knows - "

"Pam! Jim!" Michael suddenly burst through the door. "Are you a sight for sore... Yeeek!" His eyes caught sight of Pam's exposed breast, and he started mumbling gibberish.

"Sir!" the nurse yelled, "You just can't barge in here."

"It's okay, he can stay," said Pam, ignoring Michael's stares as she gazed down at William. The nurse exited, and Jim turned to Michael. "What are you doing here?"

Michael shook himself out of his trance, and replied, "Oh my God, last night was the worst. After Dwight locked me in the car I really had to pee, so I got out and went into the hospital. It took me forever to find the bathroom, and by that time I was so tired I just fell asleep on a couch somewhere, and then a little while ago the security guards tried to chase me out, but I said I was visiting you..."

"Yikes," Jim said.

"Plus now I have a huge hangover, and I think Jan wants a divorce." He turned back to Pam and the baby. "He looks just like you," he said to Jim.

"Really?" Jim wasn't sure why, but that gave him a warm feeling.

Michael started chuckling. "You know what would have been funny, if he had come out looking like Roy. That would have been hilarious."

Jim and Pam both stared at him, and he stopped laughing. "Okay, maybe not. Hey, can I be the godfather?"

They looked at each other and then Pam replied, "Actually, he already has a godfather."

"He does?" Michael and Jim said in unison.

"Yes, Dwight's going to be his godfather. If it weren't for him who knows what would have happened last night." She smiled broadly.

"You are kidding, right?" Jim asked, chuckling nervously.

"No, I'm totally serious. It's the least we could do, Jim."

"So I guess I am indebted to Dwight, again?"

"You could say that." Neither spoke for a few moments, and finally Michael said, "Okay, well, I should be going. Congratulations, you two." He gave Jim a hug and patted Pam on the arm before he left.

Jim went over to the bed and scooted next to Pam, putting his arm around her as he watched the baby nurse.

"Our son," he said, his eyes wide as he marveled at the possibilities.

Pam looked at him and grinned. "I love you," she said.

"I love you too," he replied, kissing her forehead tenderly.

"You might not say that after you learn what you have to do," she said deviously.

"Do? What do you mean?"

"To make up for last night," she answered.

He laughed. "Pam, I would do anything to make up for that monumental mistake. Whatever it is, I totally deserve it."

"All in due time, Halpert. All in due time." They smiled at each other, as their newborn son drifted off into a blissful sleep.


ExtremelyGruntled is the author of 20 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 11 members. Members who liked Babies. Breastpumps. Battlestar Galactica also liked 1826 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans