- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
A boring day at work leads to the Office Olympics, and gives Jim and Pam time to consider their true feelings for one another.

The documentary crew noticed that Jim and Pam had both been arriving at work much earlier than usual. In fact, they’d been arriving so closely together that the some of them suspected they had been spending the night together. However, despite the constant flirting (which some of the crew argued really wasn’t any different than before she left Roy), they had been unable to pick up any clues as to the nature of Jim and Pam’s current relationship. The morning talking head sessions would prove that both Jim and Pam didn’t have a clue either.

“Jim and I have been hanging out a lot lately. Yeah, it’s good. It’s been really good. You know, we go to the movies, grab a bite to eat, hang out all the time at work. It’s good. It’s fun. He hasn’t kissed me yet.”

“Where do Pam and I stand? Well, she’s great. She’s warm, and funny, and… It’s kind of hard to explain where we stand, you know? She just got out of a long engagement with someone she’s spent the last decade with, so…”

“I don’t know. Maybe I just misread his signals. It’s possible that he’s just not attracted to me. I mean it’s not like I’m exactly a knock out.“

“Are you crazy? Of course I’m attracted to her. She’s stunning. I mean, even when she tries to hide it, which is always, she’s still gorgeous.”

“And he was just recently dating Katy. I mean she really is a knockout. Why would he want to date me when he can get women like that?”

“She’s so talented and has such a big future ahead of her, and I’m just some unambitious salesman for a failing paper company. What a catch.”

“I’m sure we’ll always be friends. Really good friends. And I’m totally okay with that.”

“I just think it’s best to be respectful and give her some time and space.”

“Why won’t he kiss me?”

Today was the day the office had to complete their personal expense reports. This task was a mind numbing bore that everyone in the office hated. It was even worse for Jim, because all he could think about was Pam. He tried to refocus and just do the report. It didn’t even take that long, but it was so boring that he pretended to die on his desk, causing Pam to giggle. Jim eventually sauntered up to Pam’s desk for some much needed boredom relief.

They passed their time trying to throw various things into the mug on Dwight’s desk. In the middle of their shenanigans, Jim realized they hadn’t made plans for the evening. He still wasn’t sure if it was too soon or not, but he still wanted to spend as much time with her as possible. “Did you want to do something tonight?” he asked earnestly, while still continuing with the game.

“Sure, what did you have in mind?” she asked.

“Oh, I don’t know, maybe miniature golf or something?”

Pam let out a soft giggle. “Miniature golf? Are we in junior high?”

“Are you afraid of the competition?” he challenged.

“Are you kidding? I’d wipe the floor with you.”

“Wipe the floor? Wow. That‘s some pretty harsh trash talk there, Beesley.”

“You know, you can call me Pam sometimes. You don’t always have to call me by my last name,” Pam said, immediately regretting the words as they left her mouth.

“Oh I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to…” Jim said apologetically.

“Don’t worry about it. I didn’t mean for that to come out the way it did. Miniature golf sounds great,” she reassured, but wasn’t really certain who she was reassuring.

He gave her a mock glare, which she returned. “Alright, you’re on.”

The rest of the day went as expected. Jim and Pam did what they do best; ignore their true feelings for one another and leading the office in fun activities. Today it was the 1st Annual Dunder Mifflin Olympics, which had events ranging from Flonkerton to Dunderball to How Many M&M’s You Can Stick in Your Mouth. Pam had made the medals out of paper clips and yogurt lids.

The fun was broken up for a bit when Pam received a floral delivery of 6 roses. She opened the attached card and read the note:

Hey Babe,

I miss you.

Love,
Roy

She tried to hide the note and play it off, but Jim didn’t need to read it to know whom it was from. They exchanged knowing glances. This was going to be difficult.

“We should get back to the Olympics,” she said carefully. ”Kevin might need some medical attention.”

Jim laughed. “OK, but I’m not giving him mouth to mouth.”

The games went on as planned, with Ryan, Kevin, and Phyllis all winning gold medals. Pam saw Angela all alone at her desk, and carefully approached her, trying to be genuinely friendly. “Come on Angela, don’t you have a game?”

“I have one, yes.”

“Well, let’s play, what is it?”

“I call it Pam Pong. I count how many times Jim gets up from his desk and goes to reception to talk to you.”

“We’re fr… actually, you know what, why do you care? I broke off my engagement,” Pam says defiantly.

“I just don’t approve of your choice. You dumped him for an immature guy with no direction in life. I don’t think Roy would approve of your… choice either,” she finished with an evil grin.

Pam decided it was time to rejoin the events, with one less peg in her step than she had before. It’s not that she cares what Angela thinks, but escalating this could lead to Roy finding out about Jim (not that there was anything for him to find out yet), and that would certainly be an uncomfortable situation.

The festivities were unofficially halted when Michael and Dwight returned for the day, much to Jim’s dismay. He went back to work, finishing his expense reports and closing a few sales, although the gold medal yogurt lid hanging from his desk occasionally distracted him. At the end of the day, he came up with the idea to hold closing ceremonies in the hallway, which showcased flying doves that Pam had made out of paper and string. Jim realized that he could not possible love this woman more.

That evening, he arrived at Pam’s apartment for their “date”. 

“Hi, come on in. I’m almost ready,” Pam said. Jim noticed she looked even more radiant than ever. She had let her hair down and actually wore visible makeup for a change. She obviously didn’t do this for miniature golf.

“Hey I have an idea,” Jim said, with a hint of shyness in his voice.

“Ooooh, an idea. That sounds interesting,” Pam teased.

“Shut up. Don’t make fun or I won’t tell you what it is.”

She smiled. “Fine. Go ahead.”

“I was thinking maybe we blow off the putt putt golf for tonight.”

Now she was worried that her earlier teasing had bothered him. “Jim, I was just joking about that. We don’t have to cancel.”

“No, it’s not that. I just had something else in mind,” he said as he moved closer to her.

“Really? What is it?” Pam asked with nervous anticipation as he continued to move closer to her.

“Well it’s a continuation of the office Olympics,” he said softly.

“But we’re not at the office anymore,” Pam said flirtatiously. She now knew where this was going, or at least she hoped she did.

“Well this is like an offsite event,” Jim said. “It’s probably not appropriate for the office environment.”

“What are you getting at, Halpert?” she asked, her speech a bit shaky as she could feel the heat of his eyes on her.

“Jim,” he corrected her.

“Of course,” she responded with a seductive smile.

Jim pulled Pam close to him and slowly moved his lips to hers. Pam didn’t know what to do with this at first and initially started to pull back. She’d certainly imagined this moment, but now here it was actually happening. For a split second, Jim was worried that maybe he shouldn’t have done this. Maybe it was still too soon. Then Pam quickly reassured him that he made the right decision by moving her hands through his hair and pulling him closer. Jim couldn’t believe it. Was this actually happening? He made sure to cherish every detail, the taste of her lips, the texture of her skin, and the sweetness of her tongue. He wished he could freeze this moment in time and just stay that way forever.

The next day at work, Jim would find another gold yogurt lid hanging at his desk.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans