- Text Size +
Story Notes:
This story is set the day of "The Fight" episode (season 2). It's a fantasy of what could have happened after hours to Jim and Pam.

    Pam sits at her desk, signing Michael’s initials to dozens of expense reports. After every few pages she absently reaches for a sour cream and onion potato chip. Jim bought her the chips when she agreed to goad Michael into fighting Dwight at the dojo this morning. The chips are so salty that her tongue keeps tracing her upper lip. She is really thirsty, but pushes that thought aside to keep writing.

    It is now 6:45 and Michael has 15 minutes to get the expense reports done for the overnight courier to get to corporate by 9am tomorrow. Stanley, Toby, and Angela are helping her initial Michael’s expense reports. Dwight and Michael are talking behind his closed office door. Everyone else has left the office for the day.

  Ten agonizing minutes go by before they’re finally finished. Stanley murmurs “thank god”, as Angela purses her lips in silent reprisal at Stanley’s taking the lords name in vain. Out of the corner of her eye, Pam can see Toby staring at her. But when she makes eye contact, he looks away.

  “All finished gang?” Michael and Dwight emerge from the office.

  “Yes”, drawls Stanley, “We’re done your expense reports. Can we go home now?”  

  “Sure, sure, see you tomorrow!”, Michael says excitedly. He is, as always, oblivious to the condescending reactions of his employees. Dwight’s face is split in a ridiculous grin as he walks out the door. Michael has just made him “Secret Assistant to the Regional Manager” to make up for the terrible way he has treated him today. To Dwight, it’s like Christmas.

  People start to file out. Just as Pam is about to come around the desk for her coat, her desk phone rings. It’s Roy. “Hey babe, you almost done?”

  “Yeah, I’m just about to walk out the door”, she says, “you wouldn’t believe the day I h...” 

   “Uh, I’m glad I caught you then”, Roy interrupts her. “Darryl called. He and some of the other guys are getting together for poker. Kind of a last minute thing. Ok, if I go?” he says, his voice hopeful.

  Pam sighs. “Uh, sure. Will you be late?”, she asks her voice strained and tired. “Probably”, he says. She hears a loud yell, and muffled laughter in the background. “Gotta go baby, don’t wait up”. The phone goes dead.

  Pam holds the phone for another few seconds, weighing her thoughts, then hangs up. She’s not really pissed at Roy. But, she kind of hoped for a night at home tonight with a sympathetic ear. It had not been a good day.

  Absently, she licks her top lip again. God, she was thirsty. Her eyes rest on the bag of salty chips and all at once her mind is filled with one thought, Jim.

  Today, at that ridiculous children’s karate school of Dwight’s, Jim had grabbed her from behind while they were mock fighting. She could still feel his warm strong hands on her bare stomach as her lifted her off the ground, laughing.

  It was only for a few seconds. But, it her mind’s eye, she could replay every instant. His body felt hard and wiry behind her. He was so tall, that when he lifted her, her buttocks were pressed against his groin. God, she was getting wet just thinking about it.

  She put her hands on either side of her head and blew out her breath. “What the hell am I doing?” she thought aloud. He is attractive, but we’re friends, that’s it. It had become her own personal mantra lately. “We’re just friends”. Three simple words that couldn’t quite push the thoughts of Jim from her head. Still, she kept trying. She had to forget, she was engaged to another man for god sake!

  Then, she remembered Meredith seeing their play fight and the nasty look she gave them. Pam could almost read her thoughts, “What are you doing Pam? You’re engaged to Roy!” Or, at least that’s what Pam thought she would say…

  Shame burned in her so she shunned Jim for the rest of the day. Then, on his way out the door, he gave her the bag of chips she was ‘owed’.

  Guilt washed over Pam. What a shitty friend she was! Who cares what Meredith thinks? I shouldn’t blame Jim, we were just goofing around. Jim was her one saving grace about working in that place, and she didn’t want things to be weird with him.

  Pam grabs the office Rolodex and flips to “H” for Halpert, James. His home number and cell are listed, as she knew they would be. She picks up the phone and dials his cell. She doesn’t know why, but she feels nervous. She runs her finger over the top of her desk in nervous agitation.

  After three rings, Jim picks up. “Hello?” he asks, his voice clipped.

  “Hey Jim, it’s me, um, Pam”.

  “Oh, hey Pam!, he says excitedly, “I saw the office number on my caller ID, and wondered what the hell Michael wants now.”

  Pam smiled. “Nope, just me”, she trails off, then clears her throat. “Um, listen Jim, today was weird. Can we talk a minute?” She could hear loud noise in the background. “Um, yeah, we can talk, sure, sure…meet me at ‘Poor Richards’, ok? Kevin convinced me to come after work for a beer. What?” he said the background noise getting louder, “Sorry Beesly can’t really hear you. We’re in the back booth. Stop by.” The phone clicked off.

  On the cold, dark car ride over to Poor Richards, Pam has fleeting thoughts of “where are am I going? What am I doing? Why am I going to a bar, to see him?” But with every guilty thought, her mind is quick to justify.  After all, Kevin is there, the bar is full of people, and, the ever popular, “we’re just friends”. And, in the back of her mind she feels excited. She wants to see him. She hopes they get to talk alone. Oh man, she wants him to touch her again…

  Pam goes into the bar. It’s noisy and bright. The happy hour crowd seems to be thinning.  Right away, she spots Jim sitting all alone in a booth towards the back of the bar. He is laughing as he talks to the waiter, who is hovering over the side of his table. When he sees Pam he excitedly motions for her to sit down.

  “Hey Pam, you want a drink?” he asks.

  “Sure, I’ll have a Michelob Light”, she says to the waiter as she removes her coat and slides into the booth, “Where’s Kevin?”

  “Put this on a new tab?” the waiter asks as he jots down their order.

  “Yeah, that’ll work,” Jim says smiling, waving his hand at him absently.

  “Be right back with your drinks,” the waiter says and walks away.

  “Um, Jim, where’s Kevin?” Pam asks.

  “Oh, he had to go”, Jim says, taking a swig of his almost empty beer. “Oh,” Pam says nervously. “So, what’s up?” Jim’s eyes scan her face.

  His gaze lingers an instant too long. His eyes change. They seem to look right into her. Innocent really, but her body’s reaction is instantaneous. Her breathing becomes shallow, and heat begins to fill her chest, as she timidly returns his stare. God, what is wrong with me? Get it together Beesly!

  She coughs and looks down to cover up her reaction. When she looks up, he is still staring at her. A faint smile is playing across his lips. A knowing expression rests in his eyes. She knows him too well, and he her. And, it’s right then that she realizes she’s not fooling anyone. Jim knows! He knows what she is thinking. He knows how, oh my god, she feels around him. How she feels about him. And, what’s more, she can tell by the way he’s staring, he feels it too.

  In a panic, she gets up, grabs her coat, grabs a $5 bill out of her purse and throws it on the table,. Then, she scurries out of the booth. “Sorry. I uh… I just remembered, I gotta go. Sorry Jim. We’ll talk later. I, uh… sorry!” She all but runs out of the bar.

  Behind the wheel of her car, she covers her face and tried to catch her breath. Her heart is pounding. She can’t believe this is happening. “Stupid, stupid, stupid”, she thinks as she grips the wheel. Coward, she thinks as she looks up at herself in the rear view mirror.

  Just then, he’s at her side window. Like, somehow she knew he would be. He looks at her sheepishly, and motions for her to open the door.

  He sits down in the passenger seat. It’s so cold his breath is coming out in white puffs. After a moment, he says, “You ok?”

  “Nothing, sorry, I’m just tired”, she says embarrassment coating every word. “Well”, he says, stretching his hands up and linking them on the top of his head, “you said on the phone that you wanted to talk, so let’s go somewhere and talk.”

  “Where?” asks Pam.

  “Well, obviously not another bar.”, he says grinning. “Just drive me to my place. I’ll get my car tomorrow. I probably shouldn’t be driving anyway after those last few beers.” He keeps his tone light, and looks out the window, as she starts the car up. “I just live a few blocks away.” They make small talk on the car ride over and this calms her.

  Once inside, Jim takes his coat off and goes to the fridge. “How about that drink?” he says holding up a cold beer.

  “Thanks”, she says and reaches out a gloved hand for it.

  “Um, you can take off your coat, I’m pretty sure we paid the electric bill this month.”

  Pam smiles, puts the beer down on the counter, and begins to take off her coat. Jim comes up from behind her to help her. She is startled, but feels too silly to do anything but let him help her. She turns the wrong way, as he pulls the sleeve. This motion puts her face to face with him. He laughs, she grins and looks up at him, and suddenly, it’s Jim who seems nervous.

  He backs away, “I guess you had that under control all by yourself, huh?” He backs up toward the couch and sits down. He motions towards the recliner chair, “Grab a seat Beesly”, he says trying to cut the tension in the air with humor.

  Pam doesn’t take the bait, and sits down right beside him on the couch. He looks up at her startled, but quickly tries to hide his reaction by drinking from his beer. “So, what did you want to talk about?”

  Pam stares at him. There is so much to say. She doesn’t even know if she can put it all into words. She doesn’t know if she wants to. She feels so much for this man, and yet, she’s promised herself to another. Is she only imagining these feelings for him? Is she just impatient that Roy hasn’t set the date and is looking to make him jealous? She’s never really had a guy who was “just a friend” before. Was this attraction normal between opposite-sex friends, or was it something more? Something real?

  “I’m sorry things were weird today”, she finally blurts out. “Your friendship means a lot to me, and I felt like I overreacted at the dojo. I wouldn’t blame you if you were pissed.”

  He looks down, “No, I’m not pissed. I just, I um... understand. I mean, I know you’re engaged to Roy. I didn’t mean to cross the line like that. I didn’t plan it, we were just having fun and then I almost pulled your shirt off.” He tries to crack a smile as he looks up at her, but it dies on his lips. He seems broken somehow. His head tilts to the side and he looks away to avoid her gaze.  Pam reaches out and puts her hand on his. And suddenly, it doesn’t matter that she’s an engaged woman in another man’s apartment. She knows this man so well. She wants to take away the pain and confusion she sees in his eyes and maybe, assuage the longing she feels every time their eyes meet.

  He turns his head back to look at her. He eyes look clouded with doubt but for once,

she feels none, as she leans toward him, just brushing her lips across his. A whisper of a kiss really. She pulls back a little, their eyes remain locked. She can see the change come over him. His whole body tenses as he reaches for her to pull her closer, and crush his mouth to hers. 

  Her breath sucks in with pleasure as his lips roam her face, his strong hands grasp at her hair as his lips continue their exploration along her neck and jaw line. Her limbs feel heavy and she is amazed at how quickly she feels warm and slippery between her legs. God, how she wants this man!

  His grip on her remains rigid as he continues to kiss her seemingly everywhere at once. Then, with effort, he takes a ragged breath and looks at her. “You have no idea how long I’ve waited to do this. I’m in love with you Pam.”

  Pam feels tears spring to her eyes and she shakes her head as if to dispel these complications from her life. Oh god, what have I done? But, when she meets his gaze once more, she can’t think anymore. “I love you too”, she blurts out, then covers her mouth in disbelief that she actually said it. She gasps out loud at her boldness, and then it’s like the damn burst, “Oh god Jim, I do, I do love you too! So much..” and her words are swallowed as his mouth takes possession again.

  “Pam, I’ve wanted this for so long. I’ve wanted you everyday for so many years”, he murmurs against her neck as she pushes her fingers into his hair to hold him closer. She feels so hot, she is squirming against him, wanting to feel every part of him. She can’t bear to be away from him.

  “Oh god Pam”, he moans as his hands roam over her body. It’s as if he can’t believe he’s really getting to touch her. They are both frenzied, desperate. He pushes her back against the couch, pinning her with his body. She can feel how hard he is, and she moans as his hands caress her breasts over the cotton of her shirt. 

  “Take me to your room, I want to make love with you on your bed”, she pleads, her voice frayed with lust. Wordlessly, he gathers her up and carries her into his room. Together they fall onto the comforter. She sits up and begins to unbutton her shirt. He stills her hands, “Let me”. “Ok”, she says, her voice small.

  His long fingers quickly release the buttons of her shirt. He groans out loud as he pushes the shirt from her shoulders. Strong hands immediately cup her breasts. Her head falls back with pleasure as he begins to stroke her nipples through the fabric of her bra. Reaching back with both hands she releases the clasp of her bra and leans forward so it hangs loose across her breasts.

  Slowly, Jim pulls it from her body. She is so hot, she feels like she could burst into flame. Unconsciously, her back arches and her breasts thrust toward him. It’s more than he can take as he feverishly begins to lick and suck at her breasts.

 “Oh god Jim,” she moans as the sensations pour through her. She almost comes right there. Impatient now, he begins to tug at the waist of her skirt. “Let me”, she says and pulls up so she’s kneeling on the bed. He leans back to watch her, his eyes dark and dangerous. She continues to stare at him as she tugs the skirt and cotton panties from her body.

  Naked now, she leans in to undress him, but he can’t let her. His hands roam all over her body, making every inch of her skin hum. His lips attack her neck and breasts, making her gasp.

  Finally, she pushes on his chest to get some clarity in her feverish brain. “You, naked now”, she almost grunts at him. She knows that sounded silly, but she doesn’t care. He smiles and leans back into her for a deep kiss but his hands are now unbuckling his pants, just as hers are undoing his work shirt.

  Now they’re both naked. She inhales his warm male scent, and feels a rush of wetness between her legs. Her hips begin to squirm in anticipation as her hands roam over his lean hard body. Then, she finally gazes down to see all of him. God, he’s so beautiful! Her hand reaches down to close over his hardness, while her other hand strokes his chest.

  “Jesus Pam”, he gasps, as he feels her warm fingers stroke him. He feels close already, so he pulls her hand away and pushes her back into his soft mattress. Snaking his hand down between her legs, he gently rubs her wetness. She moans into his hair as her hips rock beneath him. The friction of her makes his cock throb. So, he strokes her harder, finds her hard clit, strokes faster...faster, until she’s writhing uncontrollably. She’s right there. Suddenly, her body stiffens as her orgasm rips through her. “Jim, oh god, Jim”, she sobs.

  Her breathing still ragged, she runs her fingers down his back. He shifts his weight, so she can feel the hot hardness of him positioned between her legs. She lifts her hips, hungry for him still. “I want to feel you in me”, she begs, almost in a whisper.

  “Oh”, he groans. Grasping himself, he pushes into her. He feels so hard. “Pam”, her name is a strangled moan as he begins to move inside her. Just a few strokes and she ready again. “Jim, yes, please!”

  Her pleas and moans are driving him crazy. He doesn’t know if he can hold on. His cock is about to burst. She’s so soft, so wet. Tensing, he slows down. He wants this to be perfect for her.

  Sensing the change in him, Pam whispers, “Let me”. Together they roll over, so she is perched on top of him. This is even more arousing as now he can see all of her naked body writhing over him with his cock buried deep inside of her. Her hard nipples jut forward as she arches her back and groans with pleasure. She’s close, so close.

  “Pam, oh god Pam”, he moans, grasping her hips to rock her into him. It’s all she needs to send her over the edge.  She gasps out loud as she orgasms. He can feel her body clenching around him like a fist. He can’t hold back any longer and a moment later, he follows her into the bliss.

  Dazed and sweaty, they lay tangled together on his bed. Slowly, their breathing returns to normal. Jim has his arm draped protectively around her, even now, pulling her close. Pam rolls over to her side, facing Jim. He places gentle kisses on her forehead and nose. They both smile.

  Then, he pushes a stray lock of hair from her face and says, “Pam, I wasn’t expecting this. But, I’m so glad it happened. I meant what I said before, I love you. I want this to be us, all the time. Together. A couple.”

  Pam sighed. She knew this was coming, ‘the inevitable consequences’. “Jim, I meant what I said earlier too. I love you. I guess I didn’t really know myself until tonight. But, now, I can’t believe I’ve been so blind all this time.” He pulls her tighter towards his body. Obviously, happy about what she is saying.

  “But, Roy didn’t deserve this. He is still my fiancé, and I need to do the right thing and break things off with him. I’m going to need a little time. I don’t want to hurt him by rubbing ‘us’ in his face. Can you do that for me, Jim? Can you be patient, just one more time?”

  “Yes, I think I can do that”, Jim grins as he rubs his hand down her arm, “but you’re going to owe me one. And, I think I just figured out a way for you to pay me back.”

  Pam grins. “Really? And, what would that be, Mr. Halpert?”

  “Oh, Beesley, I’d much rather show you than tell you,” he says his voice low.

  “That can be arranged”, she says in a giddy voice, as he rolls on top of her.

 

The End. J

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:
Big props to TearCatcher, who beta-ed this story for me. I am very grateful to you, and hope that you will graciously consent to beta my next stories as well.:)


sweetchariots is the author of 7 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 9 members. Members who liked After Hours (the fight) also liked 2271 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans