- Text Size +
bjbjt+t+

A Tale of Two Guys

Chapter 5

Jim

When Jim got back upstairs, the camera crew had Pam sitting in the "hot seat" in front of the partition to the break room, doing what they called a "talking head." Steve, the director, waved Jim away, since nobody got to listen in on their mini interviews. Pam didn’t look happy, and at one point held up her left hand, so she was probably talking about her called off wedding.

Since Pam was tied up, Jim decided to clean out his desk. It was a good time for it, since Dwight was away at the moment, talking to Michael. He got a box from the storage closet, and started emptying out his drawers. Aside from the photos on his desk, and his coffee mug, and a few trinkets, most of what he had was junk, either to be thrown out or left for the next lucky tenant. And he or she would be lucky, Jim thought, as this was the best seat in the house. Well, except for the proximity to Dwight, of course. He remembered the day that he had spent sitting way in the back, next to Kelly and away from Pam. He remembered how badly he had missed her that day..and God...he had only been across the room. After today he would be in a different state! He slumped down into his chair, suddenly so overcome with homesickness, that he could barely stand it. How could he leave?

"Hey Jim," it was Berta, the AD, "Steve want you to come over and say a few words about leaving and your promotion...you know the drill."

"Sure, why not." he glanced over at Pam who was back at her desk. She wasn’t looking in his direction, but Jim suspected that she was crying. He really wanted to talk to her, but didn’t know how he was going to manage it. He headed over to the camera crew, hoping that he could get through what would probably be his final interview without bursting into tears, or something equally embarrassing. As it was, he was sure that the entire viewing public was going to see him as a total loser when the documentary finally aired.

It wasn’t until lunchtime that Jim got to actually speak to Pam. After his "talking head," he had to finish packing up his desk. Jan had called, and he had to fill out enough paperwork to choke a horse. Then there was his computer...saving stuff that he wanted to keep onto disks and erasing the rest. Finally, he was able to get away, bringing his final Pennsylvania ham and cheese sandwich into the break room.

Pam was already there, pouring boiling water onto a Cup O’ Noodles from the vending machine. "I forgot my lunch today. So I’m having the Kevin special." She said, with a somewhat watery smile.

"Are you only having one? Or would you like me to get you 68 more?" Jim asked, with a smile. He decided to keep things light and as normal as possible. He couldn’t trust his emotions, which were all over the map today.

"One is more than enough, " she said stirring the yellowish noodles, "How does Kevin eat this stuff?"

"Here." He handed her his sandwich, "Let’s trade. I’m all about the Cup O’ Noodles." He studied the label..."Yep. Monosodium glutamate...my favorite ingredient. Well, after Xanthum gum, that is."

"I have a pack of Xanthum gum back at my desk. For later." She took a bite of the sandwich.

"So, how are you doing?" Jim twirled his noodles with his fork, trying to eat them without slurping, which was a losing cause.

"I’ve been better. But, I’m coping, so far. Anyway, it’s official, " she held up her ring less hand, " Everybody knows now. You should have heard Michael. He practically cried. I think he had already written his speech."

"You were going to have Michael make a speech at your wedding?"

"God, no. But I doubt that would have stopped him."

"Well, then it’s just as well, you cancelled."

"Yeah."

"Here, I think this might be yours, "Jim reached into his pocket and took out a thin silver bangle bracelet with a tiny turquoise heart dangling from it, and put it on the table.

"My favorite bracelet! I lost that months ago. Where did you find it?"

Jim smiled sheepishly, "You left it in the breakroom. I’ve, uh, had it in my desk drawer. I meant to return it to you a long time ago, but I guess I never got around to it."

"Thanks. For returning it, that is. Not for stealing it in the first place."

"Well, at least I’m an honest stalker."

Pam smiled, and then leaned forward, eyes gleaming with mischief; "There’s a secret I’ve been keeping from you. I have to tell you."

"What?"

"Dwight and Angela are totally doing it."

"Oh my God. Are you sure? "

"I have documentary proof. It’s been going on for about six months now. I thought that you would want to know."

"Absolutely! Even though I am getting a really bad visual right now. By the way, I’m leaving you Dwight. It’s going to be up to you to carry on with the pranks and constant mocking."

"But you were always the mastermind. I was just your humble assistant. I could never come up with anything like the nickels in the phone, thing."

"Well, then we are just going to have to keep in touch."

"I guess we will."

"Are you going to be all right, Pam? I feel like I’m deserting you."

"My friend Stacey...I shared an apartment with her before I moved in with Roy...she says I can move back, until I find a place of my own. I spoke to my Mom, and set all those wheels in motion. It’s weird. I almost think she was relieved. But anyway, I can manage, Jim. "

Jim reached across the table and took Pam’s hand. She motioned her head towards the camera, but he just shrugged. "I don’t care, Pam. Do you?"

She shook her head, and they sat like that until everybody came into the breakroom for the farewell party.

Finally, it was 5:00 and time to go home. The party had been excruciating as he had predicted. Fortunately, Michael was partied out from the night before, and hadn’t worked up any new material, but that still didn’t keep him from being extremely maudlin. One thing that Jim felt good about was that people really seemed genuinely sorry to see him go, not counting Dwight, of course. He had expected Kelly to cry and carry on, which she did, but was pleasantly surprised by the affectionate hugs from Phyllis and Meredith. Even Angela gave him a restrained peck on the cheek, prompting a jealous glare from Dwight. Kevin looked extremely mournful, but Jim couldn’t tell if it was because he was leaving or because Scrantonicity wasn’t going to be playing at Pam’s wedding. Creed shook his hand and pronounced him a great guy. Of course, Creed also called him "Tim," so it was hard to gauge his sincerity. Stanley said that it was great working with him, in spite of his terrible imitations. Toby wished him luck in his new position and told him that there would always be a place for him in Scranton if things didn’t work out in Connecticut. Jim traded E-mail addresses with Ryan and asked him to please let him know if Roy was giving Pam a hard time. Ryan said, "You love her, don’t you." And Jim could only nod.

Even the documentary crew shook Jim’s hand and said it had been fun working with him. Berta said, "Just wait until you see the documentary. You are going to be such a sex symbol, you’re going to be fighting women off with a stick!" which was so absurd that it gave Jim his only real laugh of the day.

The only person that Jim didn’t say goodbye to was Pam. She stood by his side through the entire party, but they didn’t really speak to each other. It was much easier that way.

Since it was Friday, everybody was very eager to get away for the weekend. By 5:05, the place was nearly deserted. Only Pam was still at her desk. Finally, Jim grabbed his box of personal items and made his way towards the elevator. Pam came running up beside him. "Hey, " she said.

"Hey, yourself. How are you getting home? Do you have your car?"

"Yeah. I thought it would be best. The warehouse guys left early today after cleaning up after Casino night. Roy’s still not happy, but he seems to be dealing with things better than I thought he would. He told me you went down there today. You didn’t have to do that. But thanks." The elevator door opened and Jim and Pam stepped inside. The door slid closed.

"I’m not going to say goodbye to you, " Jim said hoarsely, "This isn’t goodbye."

Pam handed him a green Post It note, "Here’s Stacey’s number. Call me when you get to Stamford. It’s going to be a crazy weekend, but I’ll get the message."

"They’re putting me up at the Hampton Inn for a week while I find a place to live. I’ll call you from there."

"Oooh, Hampton Inn. Big Shot."

"I love you."

"Oh Jim, I’m going to miss you so much."

The elevator had reached the parking level, and the doors opened. There was nothing to do, but leave the elevator. Jim looked around. The parking lot was empty. No cameramen, no Roy. He put down the box he was carrying and held out his arms. Without hesitation, Pam went and put her arms around him, and kissed him and he kissed her, trying, in those few precious moments to memorize her, the way she felt in his arms, the taste and smell of her for the long lonely weeks or even months until he would see her again. And he would see her again, that he knew.

It wasn’t until the following Monday, that Jim unpacked the cardboard box at his new desk, in his new Office, (not workspace-eat your heart out, Dwight) and found the Dunder Mifflin envelope containing the silver bracelet, and a hand drawn picture of a very sad receptionist sitting at a desk, with the caption, "I think I love you, too."

The end

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 



Jodithgrace is the author of 17 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 2 members. Members who liked A Tale of Two Guys also liked 1872 other stories.
This story is part of the series, Jam Sessions. The previous story in the series is Redacted. The next story in the series is Dunder Mifflin Dot Com.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans