- Text Size +
Story Notes:
Spoilers thru "The Job", then goes AU half way thru.
Author's Chapter Notes:

Rated for future chapters.  Thank you to Ellelque for her plot assistance and medical know how.

"So, where do you see yourself in ten years?"        

Startled, Jim looked up from the seemingly insignificant piece of gold foil stapled to a small piece of memo paper.

 "Excuse me?" He asked and David Wallace let out a small chuckle at his distracted expression.  With that Clark Kent haircut, Jim reminded him very much of his eight-year-old son.

"I asked where you see yourself in ten years," he repeated, slightly taken aback by the sudden intensity pass over the young man's face.  It was a determination that David Wallace hadn't really seen on anyone before.  Jim nodded once, as if silently confirming to himself what ever thought was in his head, and then refocused his attention on the C.F.O.

 "I don't know where I'll be, Mr. Wallace," he answered firmly. "But wherever it is, I know that I won't be happy unless I've at least tried to make sure Pam Beesly is there with me."

Wallace's forehead crinkled in thought. "Pam Beesly.  The receptionist at the Scranton branch?"

Jim nodded. "Yeah, she...she's my best friend and I...I just," he stumbled over his words, clearly discombobulated by having to explain his feelings to the C.F.O. of Dunder Mifflin.  He stood up and squared his shoulders a bit, even as pink dusted the tips of his ears and the sides of his cheeks. "I'm sorry I wasted your time, Mr. Wallace, but I don't think I'm ready to leave Scranton yet."

A slow grin spread across Wallace's face, thinking of his own best friend and the life they had made together.  "You didn't waste my time, Jim. And please, call me David. I have to admit after you called me, I considered all the other interviews a formality for HR.  You're just the kind of person that we want down here with us.  But, it's never a good idea advance your professional life at the expense of your personal one."  After a moment, Wallace stood and extended his hand to Jim, shaking the younger man's heartily "Let me know how things work out and if you're ever ready to try us out again.  I have a lot of respect for a man who knows when he needs to take a chance.  After all, I have my own Pam Beesly." Jim smiled and dipped his head in thanks, before quickly exiting the office. 

When he was gone, Wallace sat in contemplative silence for a few moments then picked up his phone, dialing quickly.

 "Hey Sweetheart, I was wondering if you thought the baby sitter would be available for tonight.  I thought it would be nice to try that new Italian place you were telling me about, just the two of us..."

                                                  *  *  *

Pam walked out of the conference break room and sat down at her desk.  It had been a weird day, surreal even.  Though she truly enjoyed goofing around as the "Secret Assistant to the Regional Manager", she couldn't help but feel her giddiness diminished by the thought that her last ever image of Jim was of him walking out the door with Karen the day before.  At least this time, he had said goodbye and they had left it on somewhat cordial terms.

Still, until the day she died, she would always regret letting her fear of the unknown dictate her response to him on Casino Night.  She would always love Jim Halpert more than anyone else, but if Karen was the one who could make him happy, she would just have to learn to live with it.

Pam had no doubts at all that Jim would be offered the job at corporate. As much as she secretly wished it would be Karen who left, with Jim retuning to Scranton alone, Pam knew in her heart that Wallace would have to be a lunatic not to see Jim's potential.  She wondered if Jim had seen her note, if he would even care, or if it would make him smile to remember that day they had organized the "Office Olympics". 

She didn't harbor any delusions that he hadn't moved on, or that he could still be in love her after all this time. She was content to think it might remind him of her.  She was startled out of her thought by the ringing of the phone.

"Dunder Mifflin, this is Pam," she began automatically, only to be interrupted by a jovial voice.

"Pam-e-La Beeeeeeeeezly!' The woman on the other side of the line exclaimed. "How's it going today in the fast paced world of paper sales? You been saving the world one copy machine at a time?"

Pam giggled in spite of herself.  Since beginning to take art classes at Scranton Community College, Pam had made some very close friends who always seemed to be able to brighten her day.  Jennifer Lewis was one of them.  Pam often marveled how Jennifer could manage to always looked so polished when the girl swore her hair was a frizzy as Pam's in the morning.  Pam saw in Jennifer everything that she wanted the Fancy New Beesly to be. She was confident, outgoing, and never let anyone push her around.  Their other art school friends would joke that the two could pass as sisters, for as much time as they spent with one another,

"You know it Jenny," Pam replied with a small chuckle.

Jenny was silent for a moment, hearing the slight strain in Pam's voice.

"No news yet, huh?" She knew she didn't have to ask, and Pam's uncomfortable laugh is her answer.  "Look honey, your not doing yourself any good sitting there, waiting to get the call.  Come out with us.  You know Joley, Barry, and Chloe have been itching to go to that new arts bar in town.  Why do you cut out early and meet us down there or better yet why don't I pick you up and help you get all cute before hand?"

"I don't know, Jenny," Pam began but was immediately interrupted.

"Look Pam, I know you love him, but if he dumb enough to follow that horse faced harpy to New York instead of giving you a second chance then he's not worth moping over."

Pam laughed at Jenny's new pet name for Karen> Ever since Pam had mentioned Karen's tendency to criticize and micro-manage Jim's every step, Jenny had begun thikning up ever increasing insults regarding the brunette. "Jenny, you're so bad! Karen's not so bad."

"You think that if you like, Pam," Jenny scolded. "But, I've seen enough of her type in my day to know someone who gets a little too excited by wearing the pants in a relationship, if you know what I mean."  Pam chuckled and Jenny's voice softened.  "So, you gonna come out with us or what?"

Pam sighed.  What the hell, she thought.  Why not have some fun for once.  It's what Fancy New Beesly would do.  "Alright," she conceded and continued over Jenny's excited squeal. "But if you come over to give me fashion advice, I'm driving.  I don't drink as much as you do anyway.  I swear you must be half Russian and half Irish with the way you knock them back!"

Jenny giggled but didn't deny it.  "You're just jealous that I can drink more than Mickey Mouse before I heave!  I'll meet you at your place in 20.  You best be there ready to really whip out a Sexy New Beesly!"

*  *  *

Jim rushed into the office, winded but determined.  He had a mission to accomplish and he wasn't going to be stopped until he saw it done.  He ignored the curious glances from his co-workers at his sudden appearance and looked around for Pam.

Jim honestly couldn't remember what he had said to Karen when he called her to let her know why he was on his way back to Scranton without her.  He knew he told her he just couldn't pretend to be the man she wanted him to be anymore, that he couldn't see himself wanting what she did.  To say she hadn't been happy would have been putting it mildly.  He already had alerts for six voicemails from her number on his cell phone, but he would deal with that later. 

All he could think of was the look on Pam's face that night on the beach, when she had admitted in front of everyone that she had called of her wedding to Roy because of him.  Not just that, but that she hadn't cared about all the reasons that Roy was wrong for her until he had come into her life.  While it wasn't an absolute declaration of love, the fact that she had been brave enough to say that in front of the entire office...well he had been so proud of her in that moment.  The least he could do in return for that bravery would be to show a little more of his own, to take that risk again.

When he couldn't find Pam behind her desk or in the conference room, he headed back to the break room and the annex.  Still nothing.  Frustrated, Jim headed back out to the main part of the office.  Against his better judgment, he stopped at Dwight's desk.

"Hey, Dwight," he began, humbling himself with as solicitous a tone as possible.  "Have you seen Pam anywhere?"

Dwight looked up at him curiously.

 "What are you doing back here so soon, Jim?  Aren't you supposed to be with your girlfriend in New York?"

Jim just rolled his eyes in exasperation. ‘Never mind that Dwight. Just, do you know where Pam is or not?"

Dwight squinted his eyes once more at Jim's odd behavior, before turning back to unpack the box of his things into his desk.  "You just missed her.  Pam went home early. She probably left about a half hour ago. I heard her on the phone with some person named Jenny. Apparently they are going to go out. That is an unacceptable reason to leave work early, but as I am no longer the acting Regional Manager, I suppose I will have to let it slide."

Jim opened his mouth to mock Dwight for once again trying to assume more authority that he had right to, but stopped and cocked his head in confusion as his words actually registered.  What the...Dwight's cutting Pam slack? He shook his head to banish the questions and strode back out the door into the parking lot. He was disappointed to have missed seeing Pam, but maybe he could catch her on her cell.

*  *  *

Pam giggled from her spot in the passenger seat of her own car.  Despite her best intensions, she ended up allowing friends to get her very, very drunk.  Jenny, having intended such an outcome from the beginning, happily took possession of Pam's keys and was currently chauffeuring her  back to her little apartment.  It had been a good night.  It had been much better than she had expected.  Joley and Barry had goaded her into a shot contest, and Chloe had proceeded to shove shot after shot of Sambuca into her hand. 

Jim's name had come up several times over the course of the night.  Barry swore that it would be inconceivable for Jim not to be high-tailing it back home right now, ready to jump on top of her.  Chloe and Joley maintained that if Barry was wrong, then Jim had to be an idiot.  Surely, Pam wouldn't have wanted to be with an idiot.  Pam hummed at the memory, hours later, as she still felt the warm fuzzy glow of the liquor.  She let her head fall back on the car seat.

 "So you had fun, right?" Jenny asked from behind the wheel as she eased down the street at a leisurely pace. Pam smiled lazily in response.

 "Yeah," she cooed. "You're right, I needed to -"she was interrupted by a loud beep from her cell phone indicating that she had a voicemail.  She checked the display as Jenny pulled to a stop at a red light.  She gasped when she saw the words "Jim's Cell" flashing back up at her.  She turned to Jenny.

"It's from Jim!" she whispered, suddenly feeling very sober.

Jenny smiled encouragingly. "Well, check it." She urged.

Pam pushed the button to retrieve the message as the light turned green and Jenny began to ease into the intersection. She almost cried as his rich whiskey and velvet voice filled her ear.

 "Hey, Beesly. I was just wondering if you were free for dinner tonight. And maybe possibly a show and some mutual swaying as well.  Uh...call me when you get this message."

Pam eyes grew wide and she smiled like an idiot at Jenny who smiled back.  There was a loud shrill blare of a car horn.  She wondered for a second if it was the sheer force of her own happy smile that was making the night brighter and brighter.  That was the last thought in her head before the lights suddenly went out.

Chapter End Notes:
Lord ( and you lovely reades) Beer Me Reviews! :)

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans