- Text Size +

Pam finally returned to her desk after her interview was over.

Jim put the phone down. "I've been answering calls for you."

"Oh? How did that go?"

"Just a few sales calls for Dwight. I forwarded them to his assistant, Andy."

She laughed, hoping her eyes weren't red.

"You're full of surprises today," she said.

 

*****

 

After five, they walked out together.

"If you were wondering, I did get your note," Jim said, smiling. "Though I'm not sure where it is right now. I want to save that."

"Have you checked your man purse?"

"My what?"

"Your satchel," said Pam.

"So that's how it's going to be tonight?"

"I've got more."

 

*****

 

"I'll come by in about an hour," Jim said as she opened her car door. "Does that sound alright?"

"That sounds great. See you then."

"Pam?"

"Yes?"

"That's the passenger side. You'll want the side with the steering wheel."

"Oh." She blushed, climbing out and feeling exposed. He must realize now that she is flustered.

 

*****

 

He picked her up an hour later. "You look good. I've never seen you in red."

"I'm spreading my wings. Where are we going?"

"To that new Italian restaurant you talked about last week."

"Wait, Jim," she protested. "We can't. They require a reservation."

"I made one on the drive back."

"Confident," she teased.

"Hopeful."

 

*****

 

They were shown to a nice table and started scanning their menus.

"What are you having?" he asked.

"I was so nervous on Beach Day. When I made that speech."

"I don't see that anywhere. Is it under appetizers?"

"What?"

"There it is." He pointed. "It comes with a side order of burned feet."

"Jim..."

 

*****

 

They talked about movies, television and how many kitchens she had but Pam eventually returned to the subject, asking how it seemed from his angle. He said he didn't know how she felt until then.

In truth, he didn't know until Karen said they were done with Scranton. She had translated Pam's words for him.

 

*****

 

"No more." His voice was kind but firm. She'd only asked one question but that was enough. "I don't want us to talk about her tonight."

"You're right," Pam agreed. "Let's turn to happier thoughts."

"Thank you," he said, downing the last of his veal.

"So that Ebola is some disease, huh?"

"Pam...."

She grinned.

 

*****

 

Later when the bill came, Pam asked that she be allowed to pay for it.

"That's not necessary," said Jim. "I did the inviting."

"Save your money," She pulled a wad of twenties out of her purse.

"Where did....?"

"Kevin had a pool going," Pam explained. "I was the only one who bet on me."

 

*****

 

"This was very nice," Jim said, as they got up to leave.

"Yes." She was feeling content.

As they walked out to her car, a thought came over him. "Just imagine," he said. "If I were Michael, by now I'd have tripped and grabbed you somewhere inappropriate."

For once, Pam wished Jim was like Michael.

 

*****

 

They kissed several times at her doorstep.

"You really are tired, aren't you?" she giggled.

"Very. A long day. I should get home I guess."

"I have a sofa."

"That's cool," he said. "Goodnight Pam, it was great. See you tomorrow."

As he fell asleep as his place he finally understood her sofa comment.

"Dammit."

 

 

 

 

 

Chapter End Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.


Swedge is the author of 16 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 17 members. Members who liked Their First Date In 55 Word Moments also liked 2853 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans