- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Thank you so much to everyone who has been continuing to read this. I didn't intend for it to get quite so long, but there seemed to be more story to tell. I really appreciate all the reviews, and it really makes my day to read that someone's been enjoying this even half as much as I'm enjoying writing it.



Ryan sat at his desk, staring at the phone. He had listened to Jim's voicemail, and wasn't sure how long he could hold Jim off before he told him the truth about the management training. He was hoping he could get Jim to New York first, just to explain in person and also to hold off on the lunacy that would come after Michael's firing was announced. Basically, Ryan didn't want the inevitable chain reaction to come into play. There would be Michael's histrionics, likely followed by some truly odd behavior by Dwight, who deep down was likely also trying to seize power. Dwight would definitely have his sights on Jim. Andy would likley be Jim's new lap dog. And Stanley would just look sullen, but likely no more than usual.

The crazy thing about this was that Ryan knew full well that Jim was going to try and refuse this position. After all, it would be the final step toward becoming Michael.

In the past year, Ryan had definitely sensed the change in Jim. He was really and truly happy. It actually seemed that Jim was perfectly content to continue just as he was indefinitely, going to a dead end job that he was good at but not motivated by.

Ryan just didn't get it. He was actually having a harder time understanding him now more than ever. While Jim had previously seemed somewhat restless, the restlessness had seemed to pass. Ryan wasn't sure if the guy was ever going to move up, or if he even cared to.

It was funny, because Ryan was already counting down the days until he could leave Dunder Mifflin for good. Luckily he had gotten no more attached to Corporate than he had to the Scranton branch.

Ryan was really not sure why he wanted Jim to come to New York before he heard the news. It's not like Ryan wasn't prepared to deal with Michael. Though Ryan sometimes worried that Michael would think he was being Punk'd.

The phone took Ryan out of his revelry.

Ryan had no more than said hello when Jim cut him off, "Ryan, tell me what the hell's going on. I have a feeling there's nothing I am going to want coming out of me going to management training."

Ryan sighed and rolled his eyes, glad Jim couldn't see his complete exasperation. Jim's best and worst traits were coming into play. His intuition was telling him strongly that something was up. However, only Jim Halpert could decide that attending management training to get a potential promotion would be a bad thing.

"Jim, just come to New York and go to the training. There are some possibilities for change that I want to discuss with you."

There was silence on the other end for a long moment, then "By change, do you mean personnel changes here in Scranton?" Jim asked cautiously.

"All I can tell you is that I have made certain recommendations, and David Wallace wants to discuss things with you further."

Ryan couldn't believe that he had just opened this can of worms, and was fruitlessly praying that Jim didn't catch on.

"What the hell? This was coming from you? What recommendations did you make exactly?"

Ryan knew he was busted. Ryan had indeed made the recommendation that Michael be fired and replace him with Jim.

From Ryan's perspective, it was really not a moment too soon. It was a problem endemic to Dunder Mifflin all across the board. They were keeping middle managers on far too long, and so the talented younger employees were leaving for better opportunities. There were no young, talented regional managers.

This left a less than desirable pool of employees for Corporate, and really for instituting any sort of modernizing within the company. And Jim was the best qualified younger employee to take the reigns as a regional manager.

Ryan had contemplated sending Jim to a different branch instead, but he knew that wouldn't work. There was no way Jim was leaving Pam to move up within Dunder Mifflin. Ryan might not quite understand where Jim was coming from, but he knew where his heart was.

Ryan decided to come clean, and hope Jim would still come to New York and remain relatively discrete for the time being. There was no reason to completely stir things up until Jim was one hundred percent in place as the new regional manager.

"I recommended that Michael be fired. You know as well as I do that it's long overdue. This last incident was just the straw that broke the camel's back."

Ryan decided not to mention that the suggestion had been made to the CFO long before Michael was accused of sexually harrassing the temp.

"I know there are far worse regional managers. Josh told me as much when I was in Stamford. Why Michael?" Jim asked, sounding legitimately confused.

Of course this was the one point of confusion for Jim. Jim would not expect that anyone would clear that way for him to advance up the corporate ladder, whereas most anyone else in his position would almost expect as much or would have moved on long ago.

"You're the reason, Jim. David Wallace loves you, and still thinks you have a big future here. And since you seem determined to stay in Scranton and you are the best equipped younger manager to move up within the company, this all made sense."

There was silence again. Ryan could almost hear Jim's wheels turning.

"This is going to crush him, you know. Is it really necessary? You know as well as anyone that my ambitions don't lie here."

Indeed, that was the rub. Ryan did know this, and really wasn't entirely sure of his own motivations in all of this. He didn't know if he just wanted Jim to get out of his rut, to see Michael fired in retaliation for all the crap he pulled with him as the Temp, or if he was just bored and decided to stir up the pot some.

None of those explanations quite fit. Of course, it was really a sound business decision, so long as Jim came to his senses. And Jim really did need to learn a bit more about ambition, not to mention management. Ryan had been completely serious when he had said he wanted to team with Jim when Ryan finally escaped Dunder Mifflin once and for all.

"Jim, eventually you need to just commit. I did, and my boyhood dream, or even my business school dream, did not consist of tworking at a paper sales company. But here we are. Suck it up."

"Thanks boss for those inspiring words. How about I just skip the promotion?"

Ryan was getting really frustrated with this. It had been the one big recommendation that David Wallace had really agreed with, and Ryan desperately needed it to work out.

"I think you need to come here, and at least listen to what's happening with the company. David Wallace wants to speak with you personally."

"Fine, I'll come. But I'm telling you, I really don't want to push Michael out of his job. You know this latest incident is no worse than anything else Michael has ever done."

Ryan was also getting sick of Jim's unwarranted protectiveness over Michael.

Then Ryan heard another voice in the background, and Ryan's stomach sank.

"You could never push Michael out of his job. He will be here forever. Or until he's wheeled out, as it should be. And then I have the reigns," Ryan could hear.

Dwight. Just great.

"Well, Ryan. I think I have some fires to put out here. I'll see you in New York."
Chapter End Notes:
I own nothing. Still. Nothing at all.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans