- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks to everyone sticking with this. I never imagined I would be at Chapter 12 and still going strong when I started. Again, thank you to those who have been reading and reviewing. I can't tell you how much I look forward to reading the reviews, knowing that people are enjoying it.


Jim was livid that Ryan had completely blindsided him, having recommended him for a promotion that he no desire to have. He knew Ryan didn't quite understand him, especially his lack of ambition. Jim didn't completely understand it himself sometimes, but he knew that moving up at Dunder Mifflin was not a dream of his.

Ryan clearly thought that Jim had decided to not take the job at Corporate solely because of Pam. While that might have been part of his rash, grandiose gesture at that particular moment, time and distance had made Jim realize that there had been more to it than that.

He had definitely come back because he knew he owed it to himself to finally take his chance with Pam. But he also realized that he absolutely could not see himself working for Dunder Mifflin in ten years, whether in Scranton or New York.

Of course, now Jim found himself in a most awkward position. He had to try and saved Michael's job, likely to some extent at Ryan's expense. He had a feeling that any future partnership with Ryan might be thrown out the window. Which was too bad, because starting something from scratch had been sounding increasingly intriguing by the day.

Jim had absolutely no plan beyond the immediate emergency, which was to make sure Dwight shut the hell up.

"Jim, you haven't answered me. Michael!" Dwight bellowed.

Jim grabbed at Dwight's arm, and hissed out, "Let's talk in private. You don't know everything."

Dwight stared at him, and Jim feared he wouldn't agree. But then Dwight got a gleam in his eye.

Dwight might love Michael, but he loved the idea of power even more.

Dwight and Jim walked to the kitchen, which was blessedly empty. Jim ignored Pam's quizzical look, knowing he would have to explain things later.

Jim looked at Dwight, contemplating what would be the best course of action. He took a deep breath, and put a grave look on his face.

"Dwight, we are in the midst of a serious situation. Michael's job may be in jeopardy, but I know I'm not ready to take over yet. I have way too much to learn still from Michael."

"Yes, you do. But Corporate is clearly going to hell with their recent decisions. There are clear orgnaizational flaws, which began with you becoming the number two here, and continuing with Ryan getting the promotion," Dwight replied, looking grave.

"Dwight, you did hear me right that Michael's job is in jeopardy. But you have to trust that I don't want this to happen," Jim told him, hoping Dwight would believe him.

"I don't believe you. Why would you not want to move up? All humans have a natural desire to be as powerful as possible. Unless you're weak. Are you weak?"

Jim sighed. "Yes, Dwight. I'm weak. I don't have it in me to have that much power. It would go to my head, and I would be out of control."

Dwight contemplated this, still looking unsure. "I'm going to go tell Michael. He'll know what to do. We saved the branch before."

Jim had no idea what the hell Dwight was talking about, but decided to let it slide. The important thing was that Dwight did not tell Michael, as Jim knew that would make it almost impossible for Michael to be saved.

"You cannot tell Michael. Or anyone," Jim pleaded.

"I can't do that. I no longer do Michael's laundry, because I have earned back his trust. And I don't want to do his laundry again. Hence, I shall tell Michael."

Dwight started toward the door, and Jim decided that he would have to pull out the big guns.

"Dwight, you take one more step toward Michael's office and I tell Kelly about you and Angela. Which will lead to the whole office knowing."

Dwight simply stared at Jim, trapped between his two loyalties. But Dwight knew full well who had the potential to hurt him the most.

"I don't know what you are talking about," Dwight said weakly.

"I think you do. And I've been holding this information for over a year, intending to not tell anyone. And I won't, just so long as you don't tell Michael."

Dwight slowly nodded his assent.

"Thank you, Dwight. Really."

"I do not accept gratitude from blackmailers. Though I do have more respect for you now, as it's the first sign of alpha male I've ever seen from you."

"Uh, thanks. Or not." Jim shrugged, just happy that the immediate crisis was averted.

Dwight started to leave. "You wait five minutes, so no one knows we were plotting in there."

Jim rolled his eyes. "Actually, I'll leave first. I am your superior, after all."

Jim turned around and left, with Dwight staring after him with a look of grudging respect.

Jim headed straight to reception.

"Wow, it has been a really crappy day. I had to go all Machiaveli on Dwight. It wasn't pretty," Jim told Pam, leaning over her desk.

"Aw, poor baby. It's hard being on top," Pam said.

Jim sighed, knowing Pam didn't even know the half of it.

"First, in Michael's honor: That's what she said," Jim said, stalling.

"Stop putting me off. What the hell is going on, Jim? I saw that you were mad at Ryan on phone, and then you just had a conference with Dwight in the kitchen. This is not normal behavior."

While Jim still savored the connection he and Pam shared, it could definitely be annoying at times to be such an open book.

"Are you watching my every move?"

"Always. You know I keep your leash short. Now spill." Pam grinned a bit, then saw that his mood had not lightened. Her face then shifted to a more serious expression, and reached for his hand.

"Well, it seems we were wrong earlier. Ryan wants me to come to New York to get training to take Michael's position."

Pam looked surprised, but just nodded at him to continue.

"Michael doesn't know. It also turns out it was Ryan's decision, as his goal is to move the regional managers positions in a new direction, meaning younger and more professional. And Ryan thought I was just perfect for the slot."

Pam's brow furrowed. "Why are they so big on this? You would think turning down one promotion would have let them know you weren't trying to move up," Pam said carefully.

"But they think I did it all for the girl. And with the job being in Scranton, and me having the girl and all....not to mention that she has been doing an awesome job on the website, and Corporate will want her any day now, " Jim finished.

Pam blushed. She had indeed showed quite the aptitude for web design, and Jim really couldn't have been prouder.

Which was really part of Jim's quandary in all this. Ryan was pissing him off, but he also felt a soft spot for him for setting Pam up with the web design training.

Pam looked thoughtful. "Do you really not want the job? Or is this just feeling bad for Michael?" Pam asked.

Jim responded immediately. "You know I don't have any real ambitions here. And yes, I might have taken it if it didn't involve Michael being fired. But I could never hurt Michael like that over a job that will never be my career."

Pam smiled at him. "Good answer. I just had to make sure you weren't just being wildly unselfish and noble to your detriment."

Jim smiled back. "No, I'm just being lazy, unmotivated and unambitious."

Pam's smile faded a bit.

Jim felt the change, and regretted his joke. "You know I'm kidding. I really just don't have any desire to take this job at this moment, or see Michael get crushed in the process."

"I know. I just think one of these days you need to figure out where the massive amounts of potential you have will take you," Pam told him seriously.

Jim's heart swelled, as it always did when Pam spoke of her pride in him. They had their conflict over his lack of direction at times, but it all came from the fact that Pam believed in him so much. He was beginning to feel a little odd at their role reversal, with Pam chasing her dreams with Jim being the one lectured.

"And I promise you, I will start plotting out a path soon. Right now I need to figure out exactly how to make sure Michael keeps his job. Oh, and by the way, Dwight knows about this."

"That can't be good."

"I blackmailed him with my knowledge of him and Angela, believe it or not."

"You really mean business, pulling out the one thing you have on Dwight. Michael better appreciate you," Pam told him, looking at him with admiration.

"What's that look about? It's no big deal."

"It is a big deal what you'll do for Michael, a man you want to strangle at least 50 percent of the time he opens his mouth," Pam said.

"You know you'd do the same," Jim told her.

"You're right. Can you explain it?" Pam asked.

"I really can't. But I just can't hurt Michael like that."

Jim sighed again, still not knowing what his plan was. All he knew was that he needed to go through with the trip to New York, knowing that he was going to have to deal with Corporate to try and change things.

"Well, Pam, it looks like we'll be spending our anniversary in New York," Jim told her.

"Looks that way," Pam told him, smiling.

Jim was relieved that Pam seemed all right with this. He had been worried that she wouldn't want to celebrate there, considering that he had been with Karen in New York that same time a year ago.

"You did make sure it's a different hotel, right?" Pam asked.

"Of course. This is all about us and our future," Jim told her.

Jim smiled to himself a bit, as he had big plans. A week ago, he picked out an engagement ring, and had been prepared to propose to her on their anniversary.

In some way, he liked that things had gone full circle like this, and that he would be proposing to her in the city that is so many ways had served as the catalyst for his return to Scranton. And there were quite a few more special romantic possibilities there than in Scranton.

Jim's grin got bigger, as he couldn't quite contain his excitement.

"Why do you suddenly look so happy? Just excited that you got the better of Dwight?"

Jim beamed at her. "Nope. Just can't wait to celebrate our anniversary," he told her.

Pam smiled back, and then her eyes got big. "Oh! I might have made some promise to Ryan that we would go out with him, to celebrate his one year on the job as well. But I'm sure it will just be a quick drink...."

"Can't we get out of it?" Jim asked.

"I just think it would be nice....and I think he's kind of lonely. And you can discuss your business venture again," Pam told him.

"Okay, we'll hang out some. But we definitely need to celebrate alone as well."

Pam shook her head. "I don't know, you boys can get pretty animated and lose track of time once you start talking...."

Jim just grinned at her, knowing that any conversation with Ryan at that time would be very short, even if he weren't already irritated with him.

The trip to New York really would be about their future. He was going to make sure of that. Ryan was certainly not going to get in the way of that goal.

Jim suddenly felt pretty content. Once he had goals in mind, he was pretty motivated. He felt confident that in one week's time, Michael's job would be secure and Pam would be his fiance. He would make it happen.
Chapter End Notes:
I own nothing. Not a single thing.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans