- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Sorry for the long delay. I continue to own nothing.



Ryan sat anxiously at his desk, awaiting Jim's arrival. After Jim had railed at him about Michael losing his job, he and Jim had only spoken once to iron out logistics. Even that conversation had been pretty frosty. Ryan wasn't sure why he even bothered trying. It seemed that Jim Halpert was a difficult man to promote.

The worst part of it was, it seemed he was still going to dinner with Jim and Pam that night. He got the distinct impression that Jim wasn't thrilled with the idea, and he himself wasn't either. But neither he nor Jim were quite willing to admit it to the other, and Pam seemed strangely gung-ho. So it seemed he and Jim were stuck. It looked they would have to out and out admit they didn't like each other to get out of it. He knew Jim wouldn't be the first to break, and Ryan really didn't have anything better to do.

Ryan really couldn't explain his relationship with Jim. At times they seemed to almost be heading toward friendship, but then their differences held them back. He felt like they were like old war buddies, bonded by the craziness of Dunder-Mifflin Scranton. But Jim was still a POW, suffering from some sort of Stockholm's syndrome.

It was really a shame. But Ryan was glad he himself had gotten out, having succeeded in making few attachments. He felt like maybe he should feel bad about suggesting that they fire Michael, but he remembered all the errands and creepy looks from Michael over the years and he felt no remorse. The fact that Michael was sad and pathetic was Michael's problem, not Ryan's.

Ryan was also concerned with his own job security at this point. He had come in with a million different ideas, but apparently most of them were too "text book" according to David Wallace. Ryan had finally piqued his interest when he had mentioned trying to really make a point of promoting from within the branches, and the value of knowing the business from the ground up.

Ryan of course knew this was a load of crap, given that Ryan's actual knowledge or skill gained from being in Scranton was minimal. But it sure sounded good, and maybe even made sense when applied to Jim. And David Wallace seemed to have some sort of man crush on Jim, and had loved the idea of making him regional manager.

He had actually told Ryan that he had done a good job in analyzing the structure of the company. Ryan couldn't let Jim screw this up.

Ryan's phone buzzed, with his assistant telling him that Jim was there. Speak of the devil, or savior, as it were. Ryan sighed, knowing he was in for a battle.

"Send him in," Ryan said, straightening his shoulders.

A few seconds later, Jim came in and awkwardly stuck his hand out to shake Ryan's. Jim took a look around the office and whistled.

"Wow. Pretty swank."

"I guess. It's pretty normal for someone in my position."

Jim smirked a bit. "And to think a couple of years ago you were calling dibs on my old desk in Scranton. "

"Move up or move on, that's how business works," Ryan told him.

"Question. Can we try and speak entirely in cliches? Like, what goes around comes around."

Ryan tensed. He wasn't expecting Jim to be quite so aggressive with him. He was expecting a bit more passivity. Maybe Jim was growing after all.

"What's that supposed to mean?"

"I guess that once you join the corporate world, and can coldly dismiss people, it seems a matter of time before you get coldly dismissed yourself," Jim said, shrugging.

Damn Jim for hitting way too close to home for Ryan's liking. Jim might not be as passive as he once was, but he certainly hadn't lost his intuition.

"Do you need any coffee or anything before I begin the training?" Ryan asked, changing the subject.

"No, I'm fine. Let's get started with you teaching me how to be a regional manager. Does it start with sales? I'm all ears." Jim leaned back in his chair, putting his feet up on Ryan's desk.

Ryan rolled his eyes.

"Look, I know you don't want to be here. I have work to do beyond this. I have a manual I was supposed to use, but since you don't need me you can just read it yourself," Ryan said tersely, tossing a large binder at Jim. Jim caught it, getting knocked slightly off balance from his reclining position.

Jim looked at the manual for a second, then at Ryan.

"Seriously, Ryan. How can you just crush a man like this?" Jim asked.

"Come on, Halpert. It's business, and Michael has been a liability for a long time," Ryan said.

Jim shook his head. "I'm not naive. I know that Michael has many, many flaws. But I also know that the relationships he has built with clients is indispensable, and his love of this company and the Scranton area continuously shows through in his sales. You can't fake it."

"Is that why you're a good salesman then, your deep love for all things Dunder-Mifflin Scranton?" Ryan asked.

"You know I'm just boyishly charming, Ryan. And you know this isn't about me."

"Actually, it is about you. David Wallace really likes you, and wants to see you rise up in this company."

Jim sighed, and shook his head. "He might want that. I think I've shown I don't want that, especially not at the expense of Michael."

Ryan was growing frustrated, and knew they were talking in circles.

"Jesus, Jim. You act like Michael would sacrifice himself for you."

Jim let out a humorless laugh. "You know, I think you're now grasping at straws. Because Michael really does look out for us, in his own childish and needy way."

Jim paused a moment, looking like he was trying to decide whether to go on. Ryan let the silence hold, until Jim continued.

" I started to be more ambitious in Stamford, as I really admired Josh. He was so professional and put together. I really wanted to be like him, and really began to take my job seriously. And then Josh screwed over every single employee at his branch, looking out only for himself. And yeah, I get it. I just don't like it, or idolize it."

Ryan sat in silence, realizing that there was more behind Jim's obstinance about the promotion than he had thought. Jim wasn't just unambitious or unmotivated. He might not know where he was going or what exactly he wanted to do, but he knew the kind of man he wanted to be.

And Ryan wasn't sure he could get him off that course.

Ryan took a breath, and voiced what had been left unspoken. "You knew Michael Scott would never do that."

Jim smiled for the first time since entering the office. "That's what I said, right after it happened. Check it out in the documentary."

Ryan let this all sink in, then let out a laugh. Jim looked at him, confused.

"You know, I thought I had you pegged Halpert. All along, I thought your worst fear was to someday become Michael Scott. But deep down, beyond the surface, that's who you seem to emulate the most."

Jim had to laugh as well. "Wow. I never thought of it that way before. And please don't make me think of it again."

"Done. Now at least look like you're reading your manual, because I really do have work to do." Ryan tossed him a highlighter.

Jim caught it, and set it down. "Doubt I'll need this. I have a feeling it's all of equal importance."

"I figured you'd want to highlight the areas you think don't suit your skill set. You do have a promotion to talk yourself out of, after all."

Jim looked at him, surprised.

Ryan shrugged. "What can I say? I have a weakness for boyish charm."

Ryan tried to concentrate on his paperwork, as Jim appeared to be highlighting in some sort of set rhythm. Ryan had no idea what he was doing at this stage, but he knew he felt less tense than he had before, which was strange considering his job was likely in jeopardy.

Damn Jim and his boyish charm.



Chapter End Notes:
Reviews are good for the soul.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans