- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
I don't own Jim or Ryan or Dunder-Mifflin. Or anyone or anything. Sad, isn't it?
Jim sat around, idly highlighting until it was nearly lunchtime. He was a bit unsure of this little truce he and Ryan seemed to have worked out. He just hoped it was enough to save Michael's job.

Jim started tapping his highlighter on the binder, full of nervous energy. Sitting still was quite the chore with all that was on his mind. Somehow trying to save Michael and talk himself out of a promotion had pushed his bigger plan to the back of his mind. He had no idea how the idea of proposing to Pam could ever get relegated to the recesses of his mind, but that was the power of Michael for you.

But Jim was getting really excited now, because he felt like tonight was the night. He just hoped Ryan didn't plan on lingering after dinner, so he could take Pam to a coffee shop somewhere and propose.

Jim couldn't believe he was planning on proposing in a coffee shop, but it was fitting for their relationship. A year ago, on their first date, they had shared a polite, somewhat awkward dinner. Feeling that there was a lot still lingering to talk about, Jim had taken Pam out for coffee at an all night coffeehouse. They had sat on a couch and finally begun to really talk, and aired out a lot of what needed to be said.

And right on that couch they had sealed it all with a kiss, which had been sweet and tentative and said all that needed to be said. They had left the coffeehouse hand in hand, both smiling somewhat shyly and never looking back.

Jim really liked the idea of going full circle, and he just felt it was incredibly right for him to propose in much the same manner in which their romantic relationship had begun. His first choice had been at the same coffeehouse in Scranton, but he had thought that part of going full circle might be to slay the demon of New York City and what it looked like it represented a year ago. Now the city could mean happy things to them both, and Jim liked the thought of that.

Plus, he really just wanted a reason to justify proposing tonight, even with them being in New York and ending up at dinner with Ryan.

"Hey, man, can you stop with the tapping?" Ryan asked.

Jim stopped the tapping wordlessly.

"So, when is it I get to speak with David Wallace?" Jim asked, now that he had Ryan's attention.

As though summoned, David Wallace appeared in the doorway. Jim was very impressed, and wondered if he always showed up on command like that.

"How goes the training?"

Ryan and Jim both looked a little guilty, like teenagers caught not studying with a big exam coming up.

"I told Ryan that I really am more of a book learner, so I am poring over it as we speak," Jim said. "But sir, I really wanted the opportunity to speak with you about some things either today or tomorrow while I'm here."

The CFO smiled warmly and nodded. "That can be arranged. How would you like to have a dinner meeting?"

Jim felt alarmed, not wanting to add dinner with his boss as another obstacle to their romantic evening.

"Well, my girlfriend is here and has been alone all day. She and I were going to join Ryan to talk about old times some," Jim said.

"Well, how about you guys do it on the company dime? I'd love to meet your girlfriend, who I assume is the reason you left your interview last year so abruptly, with me scrambling to make a hire," he grinned, with his smile fading when he remembered Ryan was in the room.

Jim felt a little embarrassed for Ryan, and tried to shoot him a sympathetic look and shrug. Ryan just looked like his normal detached self.

Jim also felt a little uncomfortable in knowing that David Wallace had met Karen as his girlfriend right before he and Pam got together. But he figured he wouldn't mention it, unless a complete lack of tact was a proclivity shared by all managers at Dunder-Mifflin.

"Well, I guess I can't turn down a meal on the company dime. Last time I got one of those was at Hooters," Jim said, and smiled broadly afterwards, hoping that it seemed he was joking.

The CFO laughed in response. "I'm not entirely sure if you're serious or not."

Jim decided it was time for the conversation to move past this, given that he was actually trying to have Michael unfired and all.

"I'll call Pam and tell her what's going on. Thank you again, sir," Jim said.

"No problem. We can all meet out front and decide where to go. I'll see you guys around 6?"

"Yes, sir," Ryan told him. With that, their boss left.

Jim and Ryan looked at each other, knowing that the CFO had to have known he had not walked in on an active training session.

Ryan spoke first. "I never thought I was the first choice, but having it said out loud like that was weird," Ryan said. Then he smiled a bit. "At least I think I ranked above 'pass,' so that's something."

"Wow. I can't really believe he said that in front of you. Maybe there is a little Michael in him after all. He really hates the HR guy, just like Michael," Jim said.

"Kendall? He's terrible," Ryan told him. "He really was supposed to be training you, but I decided to spare you the pain."

Jim laughed out loud. Ryan looked confused. "What?"

"You see, I still consider Toby to be a friend. I think this is why I can't move up, as I don't think I have it in me to hate Toby. Do you think we could make Dwight the new HR guy?"

This did make Ryan laugh. "I think I would have to stop in for the next sexual harrassment seminar."

"Yikes. That is a truly frightening thought."

Jim looked at his watch. "Well, I need to go meet Pam in Central Park for a picnic lunch. I was supposed to kindly ask for an extra long lunch break on her behalf. She knew you wouldn't grant it on mine," Jim told him.

Ryan rolled his eyes. Jim couldn't really believe he had said something quite so cutesy. But it had been Pam's orders. He had a feeling they weren't intended to be executed quite so literally.

"Go, Halpert. Why don't you and Pam frolic until dinner, and then I can actually get some stuff done?"

Jim felt punched in the gut as he remembered frolicking with Karen. He had felt happy and carefree with Karen that night, but had already felt the end was near. It had been like the last night of a summer romance, where you could enjoy each other's company but know that goodbye was close at hand.

He just regretted that maybe he hadn't communicated this emotion as well as he had thought to Karen. He had thought his non answer about moving to New York for her had said it all.

But Jim definitely had no regrets about his about face and subsequent return to Scranton. With his career prospects put on hold, Jim had worried about how this relationship could make or break him. It was a lot of pressure. Luckily, here he was ready to make it permanent.

The parallels were funny. Things were so much like last year, but really different as well.

A year ago, he had turned down a gigantic promotion for the chance to maybe forge a relationship with Pam, and also to find the person he had lost when she had told him, "I can't."

Now, he was ready to turn down a lesser promotion on the anniversary of the day he had impulsively called his interview to an abrupt stop. Turning down this promotion had nothing to do with Pam, yet here he was again ready to embark on a huge step in their relationship. It seemed to be an annual May event for him.

Jim realized then that he had let his walk down memory lane keep him literally frozen into place. He looked at Ryan sheepishly.

"What are you still doing here? When the boss gives you an afternoon off, you take it," Ryan told him.

"I'll see you tonight, boss. You just might be the world's best boss. But don't tell Michael," Jim said.

There was silence, as both of them remembered that Michael may not be anyone's boss for long.

"Jesus, get the hell out of here Halpert," Ryan said.

Jim finally did as told. He decided at times it might just be best to respect authority.

Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for reading! I really love reviews. Like maybe a bit too much.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans