- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
This is the homestretch on this one, for real this time. There should be one more chapter followed by an epilogue. Thank you so much to those who stuck through this, my first effort. I really appreciate all the reviews, you have no idea.

I don't own anything, which I think is really unfortunate. Then I could quit my day job.

Story:
Ryan stood at the front of the building, waiting to head to dinner. He was a few minutes early, but he couldn't sit at his desk any longer. It was going to be an interesting evening, to say the least. Ryan knew he was not much more than a bystander, but that was his general M.O. anyhow. Things just always seemed to happen to him. He had thought he had grown out of it, but it seemed to be a curse that was following him in his new job. It seemed you couldn't ever leave Scranton completely behind.

Ryan couldn't believe that he was having dinner with Jim, Pam and David Wallace. It was truly incredible that Ryan had worked at Corporate for a year now, and not once had the CFO taken him out to dinner.

Maybe playing hard to get worked in the business world as well. It seemed Ryan had gotten a lot more attention with trying to pull away and detach in Scranton than he had gotten at Corporate. Go figure.

David Wallace appeared first.

"Hey, Ryan. I take it we're the first ones?"

"Yes, sir. Jim needed to go meet up with his girlfriend to bring her here," Ryan covered, not wanting to admit he'd released Jim early.

The CFO nodded, seemingly contemplating something.

"Well, I'm glad we got this little opportunity to speak before the meeting. I really like Jim and what he's done, but I am sensing a certain reticence about this promotion. This concerns me," he told Ryan.

Ryan wasn't sure how to respond, because he knew Jim really wanted to speak his peace. Ryan really didn't want to get overinvolved in this process. Not in the least.

"He's never really moved up at the direct expense of anyone before. I think it's hard on him to know Michael will be affected," Ryan said evenly.

"I think loyalty is a great trait, for sure. But you have to get a bit concerned if it clouds everything else," David said thoughtfully.

"I understand your concern. I don't completely get his loyalty on this" Ryan said.

"Really? Do you not feel at all bad about Michael being fired? He only had the highest of praise for you. His remarks on your performance review helped you cement this job," the CFO told him.

Ryan was having the panicky feeling of being trapped. He was also having to fight every little bit of instinct down not to outwardly roll his eyes. Ryan had a feeling it wasn't the best time to mention that the performance reviews were more a part of Michael's bizarre man crush than anything Ryan had actually accomplished.

"It's business, sir. I'm just trying to recommend what I think is best from a detached perspective."

The CFO continued to look thoughtful, and Ryan sensed he had something important to say. Ryan also sensed that this something was nothing he was going to want to hear.

"Ryan, I think you have a great mind for the theories of business and to some extent the bigger picture. However, I think in the end you can never completely detach yourself from the people involved. When you do that, you get blindsided when people don't react rationally. Hell, you wouldn't have this job if people always acted how I expected them to," David Wallace told him.

Ryan wasn't sure if this was referring to Jan, or Jim, or maybe even Michael.

"Sir, with all due respect, you just said you were concerned that Jim wasn't detached enough. So, frankly, I'm confused."

The CFO laughed. "You see, everything isn't so black and white."

Ryan really wanted to roll his eyes at that, because the lesson still wasn't very clear to him. But it did sound deep and powerful.

Pam and Jim arrived then, hand in hand. Ryan had never been so happy to see Jim Halpert in all his life.

"Hey guys!" Ryan said in an embarrasingly excited voice.

"Well, hi there Ryan," Jim said, looking confused. Ryan understood how he felt completely.

"Hey, Ryan. It's really good to see you," Pam said, smiling warmly.

"Hello, sir," Jim said.

"Please guys, call me David. This sir stuff is making me feel old," David told them.

"And you aren't?" Jim said glibly. Ryan shot him an irritated look, but the CFO just smiled warmly.

"Hey, I will kick your ass in basketball next time. That goofy coworker of yours was just distracting me," David said.

Ryan had no idea what they were talking about, and he had no idea Jim and the CFO were quite that chummy. Interesting.

"I was thinking we would just walk to this really good Italian place up the street a bit. Does that sound good to the lady here, who Jim never introduced me to?"

Jim blushed a bit, and said, "David, this is my girlfriend Pam. Pam, this is the CFO of our company."

"Oh, Pam as in 'Dunder-Mifflin, this is Pam.' Good to put a face to the voice," he told her.

Pam smiled and looked down at the ground. "It's good to meet you."

They all walked to the restaurant in relative silence. Ryan noted that Jim and Pam seemed to be looking pretty happy. It was good things had worked out for them, because Jim had sure blown a lot professionally to be with her. He wondered if Pam fully appreciated it.

They all sat down, and David ordered them a bottle of wine, saying they all deserved a drink on the Dunder-Mifflin dime.

Ryan certainly couldn't argue with that, though he might have argued for his own bottle.

Sitting at a table with his boss and an attractive woman who both seemed to love Jim Halpert was not his idea of a good time. He definitely felt like the fifth wheel.

David Wallace turned to Jim almost as soon as the order was placed. "So, you wanted to talk about this position."

Jim looked down a second, apparently gathering courage. Ryan sat back, knowing this would be an interesting conversation.

"David, I really appreciate that you keep giving me opportunities. I really do. But...."

"You're not going to take it, are you?" the CFO asked.

"No, I can't. I can't sit back and let you fire Michael and snatch his job without telling you it would be a huge mistake."

"Why would that be?"

"I won't lie to you. Obviously, I know Michael has his more than his fair share of off the wall moments. But he is the face of Dunder-Mifflin Scranton. He loves that office and he loves that community. The customers trust him across the board, because he is an amazing salesman and someone they know will absolutely bend over backwards to please them. Because the one thing about Michael Scott is that he really, truly cares," Jim said with a flourish.

Ryan could not believe that he had wasted such a heartfelt speech on Michael. It was pretty unbelievable.

Not that Ryan could argue with the gist of it. Certainly Michael would do anything to please. For some reason Ryan had felt that was a character flaw and not a strength. But really, that line was always so small, the one between your greatest strength and weakness.

Ryan had always felt his ability to detach and be pragmatic was his greatest strength. Lately he had the sinking feeling it might also be his greatest weakness.

The CFO sat silent for a moment.

A soft voice then spoke up. "Sir, I mean, David...I know I am just the receptionist and girlfriend to the Assistant Regional Manager, but I have worked with Michael a long time as well, and I think letting him go would really hurt the branch. And I think Jim would be an incredible manager, but Michael does bring a lot to the table," Pam said, her voice gaining strength as she spoke.

Ryan was really startled by how strong Pam had really become. These two seemed to be gaining strength and assertiveness from each other, which was interesting given that he hadn't figured either had very much to spare to begin with.

The CFO looked at her kindly. "Well, Pam, I will take that under advisement. I often find the receptionist knows the most of anyone in the office."

"That is definitely true in this case," Jim said proudly.

Pam blushed at the praise. Ryan for some reason felt compelled to chime in, maybe just to kiss ass since the CFO seemed to like Pam.

"She's also a hell of a web designer, so she's hardly 'just the receptionist,'" Ryan said.

The CFO looked at Pam approvingly. "You did the Scranton site? I was just telling Ryan how impressed I was by that site, but he didn't tell me who did it."

Pam smiled wide out of pride, but Ryan detected a note of hurt in her eyes that Ryan hadn't mentioned her.

"Ryan gave me the chance. I think that was a great idea to train from within like that," Pam told him. Ryan could have kissed her, but he figured then Jim really just might kick his ass.

The CFO turned to Jim. "Well, I think this one's a keeper. You really should marry her before someone else snatches her away."

Jim had a really strange look on his face, which Ryan couldn't place. He just suddenly looked really uncomfortable, but Ryan couldn't figure out why. He didn't figure Jim to afraid of commitment, at least as far as Pam was concerned.

"Well, he knows all he has to do is ask," Pam said, and then clamped her mouth shut quickly. Ryan couldn't believe what a lightweight Pam was. She'd maybe consumed one glass of wine.

Jim looked really panicked and flustered then, which Ryan was actually enjoying some. It appeared Jim wasn't smooth in all facets of life.

However, he soon realized there were other reasons for Jim's panic.

"No amount of laundry is going to get you out of this, Jim," a sad, cold voice said.

Even though Ryan knew who it was, he still felt compelled to turn around. Sure enough, there stood Michael Scott, looking betrayed.

Ryan really wished he could leave Scranton behind, but it seemed he was destined to relive moments from Scranton for the rest of eternity. It was a special little trick the universe was playing on him, and Ryan wasn't entirely sure what he done to deserve it. He just hoped Kelly wasn't out parking the car or something.

"How could you Jim? How could you?" Michael choked out.

Jim looked absolutely stricken at this point. "Michael, you don't understand...."

"And Pam? My dear, sweet Pam? Is this what happens when you let Jim...." Michael paused, and in maybe the first showing of tact and awareness in his life, decided finishing that sentence in front of the CFO was maybe not the best move.

And of course then Michael turned to Ryan, who had been hoping to get out of this unscathed. Ryan didn't know why he thought it was a possibility that Michael would just ignore him.

"Ryan, I can't believe you are also a part of this. I know you moved on under my gentle, guiding hand, but I thought that it meant something..." Michael said balefully.

Ryan had forgotten just how pathetic Michael could be. Ryan just shrugged, which pretty much summed up his feelings on the subject.

Ryan saw David Wallace stand up, and finally put an end to this scene.

"Michael, why don't you sit down and join us? It seems there might a lot to talk about," the CFO said calmly.

"I don't know if I want to sit at a table of traitors," Michael said petulantly.

Ryan was tired of this already. Enough was enough.

"Michael, I'll take it like a man," Ryan started.

"That's what she said!" Michael said, somehow not quite getting the gravitas of the situation.

"Anyway, I am the only supposed traitor. I recommended that Jim get your job. And Jim has fought it at every turn."

There was a loud buzzing sound. Jim looked sheepish, and flipped open his phone. "Voicemail. It's from the office. I wonder what that could be about," Jim said sarcastically, putting his phone to his ear.

"God, Dwight," Ryan heard Jim mutter.

"Do not speak ill of Dwight Schrutte, Jim. He is loyal to the core, and has learned his lesson about trying to take my job," Michael continued on, as though Ryan had not spoken.

"How did you find us here, anyhow?" Ryan had to ask, deciding maybe a move to a more neutral subject might help.

"When Dwight told me about what was going down, I had Jan contact Hunter to find out where David Wallace would be tonight."

Pam spoke then, using the voice she always used to talk Michael down in these situations. "What Ryan said is true. Jim doesn't want to take your job. He's here trying to save it, which is what we were doing when you walked in. So would you please sit down?"

Michael sighed, and looked obstinate. But he did sit down.

Michael turned to the CFO. "Is this true?"

David Wallace nodded. "I hadn't gotten the full pitch, because I was trying to pressure him into making an honest woman out of Pam. But I believe that was what he was selling, and your guy here is quite the salesman."

Michael's whole countenance shifted, and he beamed. "I taught him everything he knows!"

Ryan did roll his eyes at that. It was just too much.

Michael apparently wasn't done, and needed to chime in on the other subject at hand. "Our Pammy just isn't good at getting married. I imagine she's just gunshy."

Pam gaped at him, and Jim clenched his jaw.

Pam then gathered herself, and smiled wistfully as she stood up and walked toward Jim and kneeled in front of him.

Ryan couldn't believe what was happening. Man, was Halpert about to lose some major man points. But Jim appeared to be too much in shock to fully register what was happening.

"Shut it, all of you," Pam said and glared at the men at the table before turning to Jim.

"Jim, the happiest moment of my life to this point was you asking me out a year ago today," she paused and tears sprung to her eyes. She wiped them away and grabbed Jim's hand. "So, would you make today the new happiest day of my life and agree to marry me?"

She looked at Jim for a long moment, with Jim's expression being unreadable. Pam started to look concerned.

Then Jim smiled and reached into his pocket, drawing out a jewelry box. "Beesly, you sure know how to stomp all over a guy's plans," he said teasingly, handing her the box.

She slowly opened it, and beamed. "Does this count as jinx?"

"I don't think it was quite simultaneous, so no," he told her.

Ryan just gawked at them as Pam put the ring on her left ring finger, not quite believing what he had just seen. He wasn't sure if it was the sweetest, most ridiculous, or most pathetic thing he had witnessed. It was a tough call.

Then Jim grabbed Pam and drew her into his lap, kissing her. They broke apart fairly quickly, realizing where they were.

"Uh, sorry about the scene," Pam said sheepishly, still sitting in Jim's lap.

David Wallace just beamed at them. "Well, I was just telling you to do just what you did....Let's get some champagne, and maybe finally some food."

Pam stood up and went back to her chair, still beaming.

"You know Pam, he never actually said yes," Ryan said. He just couldn't help giving Jim a hard time, even in this special moment.

"I guess not. I made some assumptions," Pam said, playing along. "Maybe it was just a pretty ring. Should I have put it on my right hand?"

Jim just smiled the biggest smile Ryan had ever seen. "I don't know, with the PDA in front of a group of my superiors and the emasculating proposal if I really want to go through with it," he said, shaking his head.

"Well, I'm keeping the ring either way," Pam said.

"I guess then I'll go ahead and marry you. I'd hate to have wasted money on an engagement ring for nothing," he said.

"So I guess it's official now, Ryan," Jim said.

"I just wanted clarity, Halpert," Ryan said.

The champagne arrived then for the whole table. Jim cleared his throat to make a toast.

"Well, it's been quite the night, and I think there are still some details we need iron out. But I wanted to say that though I had planned a more private proposal, I think this really makes a much better story to tell the kids someday, you know, if we have any," he stuttered out.

Pam decided to pick up the slack, since Jim had actually failed to toast anything. She was doing a lot of that.

"To the future, inside and out of Dunder-Mifflin," Pam said, and they all clinked their glasses.

"So, can we talk about my job now?" Michael asked.

Jim laughed. "I definitely think it's time to talk about Michael's job, don't you David?"

The CFO smiled and nodded.

Ryan just sat back in his chair, not quite sure what to make of this evening's events. It seemed that once again his best role might be to just stay out of it. Jim appeared to have everything under control.
Chapter End Notes:
Again, thanks for reading as my little story bloated into a 15+ chapter opus! I'm loving getting to write, and it's been fun. I again extend my thanks to all who have been reviewing, and I hope I'm entertaining one or two others who haven't been reviewing. So please let me know! :)

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans