- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
This is it! Thank you for sticking around. It's been fun getting into this whole fanfic thing, and hearing from people reading has made it my new favorite hobby.

And no, I own nothing still.
"I really don't think I can work at Dunder-Mifflin another day."

Jim smiled upon hearing those words, thinking back to the many times that he had thought it to himself.

Jim turned to the young woman who was sitting in his office to try and alleviate some of her concerns.

"I really suggest to all our employees that they give any temp job at least two weeks before quitting. Often, things aren't nearly as bad as they seem," Jim told her.

She just stared at him, clearly conveying that he was not getting it.

Jim sighed, fearing the worst. "Okay, tell me what happened exactly."

The young woman took a breath, and was silent for a second. She seemed to not know where to begin.

"Well, for starters, there was a party in my honor," she told him. "On my first day."

"And this didn't make you just feel welcome?" Jim asked, inwardly smiling to himself. It was good to see Michael remained the same with the passage of time.

"No, it was kind of creepy and weird. Plus, the boss told me that I wasn't as hot as the one and only other temp they'd ever had. Apparently, this dude works for your agency."

Just then Ryan entered Jim's office, having overhead the last part of the exchange. "Actually, I am the president. But yes, I was a temp. You could say that not only am I the president, but I was once a client."

The girl looked at him blankly. Jim grinned and exchanged a look with Ryan. It appeared they were getting old.

"Wow. Timely joke there Ryan. Did you get your material from Michael?" Jim asked.

Ryan actually looked embarrassed.

"Was that Michael's line? That's awesome that your scouting trip to the old haunting grounds went so well," Jim said, amused.

The temp was getting impatient, and wa sa bit confused. "Wait, did you guys used to work there? And yet you knowingly sent someone in?"

"Michael was our first employer to sign on when we were officially up and running two years ago. It was just now that he had an actual job for someone to do," Jim explained.

"Some job. All I do is answer phones. And Michael looked at me sadly the whole time, telling me that I need to call myself 'Pam' when I answered the phones."

"First, just tell Michael that he can call Pam at her office in the graphic design section of Dunder-Mifflin headquarters. She'll answer the phone that way," Jim told her.

Ryan decided to step in. "Look, you don't have to stay. But I will tell you that no boss of a temp will treat you quite like Michael will."

"Good," she said in return.

"Well, I went from temp to executive within that company in three years. And Pam, the former receptionist, learned graphic design on the job and has since been promoted. So it's not a bad place for career advancement,": Ryan said.

Ryan couldn't believe the words tumbling out of his mouth. Somehow, selling Dunder-Mifflin had been the best sales pitch of his life. Jim looked incredibly amused by this.

"Fine. I'll give it two weeks."

"Excellent. It was a pleasure meeting Dunder-Mifflin Scranton's first temp from Halpert Howard."

Ryan cringed, like he did every time he heard the name. He had really wanted to have his name first, but he had to admit Jim was right when he pointed out that everyone would wonder just who "Howard Halpert" was.

The temp left the office, clearly still haunted by other memories from her first day.

"You sticking around Scranton for long?"

"Nope. I have one meeting with an employer, then I am heading back to the city to be with my wife," Jim said.

Ryan couldn't believe how Jim let loose a little smile every time he said that. He also couldn't believe he was the one living in Scranton running the day to day operations of their business, with Jim coming in for one day a week to meet with employers and living in New York so Pam could take her big promotion. Funny how the world worked.

But Ryan had to admit it was working fantastically. Jim did a lot of the more mundane administrative tasks telecommuting from New York. It wasn't perfect, but it was the best arrangement for them.

Plus, it meant the two of them weren't together all the time. He thought this was the key to their successful partnership. And Jim was already putting out feelers for a New York branch, as their agency had done exceptionally well in a short time.

Ryan was glad to see that he was much better at starting his own business than working within an existing company. Ryan had begun to worry that he had no business acumen at all.

And sure enough, Jim could work magic with employers. That guy sure could sell. Plus his wife had given them a kick ass website design for free.

Jim turned to Ryan before leaving, "So, did you want to grab a beer or something before I head back?"

Ryan shook his head. "It's fine. You go on back. Say hi to Pam for me."

Jim nodded, and waved goodbye. He started walking toward the exit, nostalgia hitting him as he thought about the office he had left behind.

When Jim had sat down with David Wallace six months after his engagement, Jim finally knew he was ready to venture out and do other things. Ryan had taken his potential transfer from his job as a bad omen, and had decided enough was enough as well. So they had finally decided to follow through on their business venture.

It has definitely been tough going for awile, with Jim and Pam trying to live off her meager rceptionist's earnings and Jim's limited savings. But it had been totally worth the risk. For the first time in his life, Jim was invested in his work. It had been quite the difference.

As Jim headed to his car, he saw the new Dunder-Mifflin temp smoking a cigarette and looking tense. He decided to give it one more go at making her life better.

"Is Dwight still working there?" he asked her, immediately wondering why he had even bothered to ask.

"The weird salesman with the cheap glasses with a bizarre obsession with bears?"

"I figured he'd still be there. Just a suggestion, but you should go the store and buy a few beets. Bring them in and tell him you bought the world's best beets. No matter what he says, keep swearing these are the best."

The poor girl looked puzzled. "Trust me, it will be a good time. Then tell him Jim Halpert says hi."

She just nodded and said, "Sure, I'll try anything to stay marginally entertained."

Jim smiled and waved goodbye. "Good luck. You just might find Dunder-Mifflin is the place that makes all your dreams come true."
Chapter End Notes:
Again, thanks for reading! Please let me know what you think of it all now that it's over. I feel a little sad and nostalgic, kind of like Jim. :)


Becca Lavender is the author of 3 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 16 members. Members who liked From Different Perspectives also liked 2393 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans