- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Coming down the home stretch here-thanks to those who have kept following it. Reviews are definitely much appreciated!



Ryan drew in a deep breath as his former co-workers entered the conference room. He wasn't really sure what to expect. If there was anything he had learned in Scranton, it was to expect the unexpected when everyone was brought into the conference room.

Everyone had taken a seat except for Michael, who was of course up front right beside him.

"Ryan, I think you are going to be facing a tough crowd here. I'll just be right here in case they start to rebel on you," Michael told him.

"Thanks, Michael. I think I can handle it," Ryan said. He was already a little exasperated.

"I prepared for this meeting, just as you asked. Jim had the great idea that we use the suggestion box again. That way, we could go right to the party. All your feedback for Corporate is right here!" Michael said, handing Ryan the suggestion box with a grand gesture.

"Michael, I did have some things planned. For instance, there's a video Corporate wants all branches to see...." Ryan cringed when he said it, and sure enough saw the cameras pan to Jim who smirked into them accordingly. Indeed, Ryan had intended to show the requisite video from Corporate to outline his agenda.

"We'll watch it on Monday, and maybe resurrect Movie Monday....Now it's time to honor the Temp who has risen so far under my tutelage. Angela, bring in the brownies!"

Angela stiffly left the room, presumably to fetch the brownies. Ryan saw Pam and Phyllis also leave the room, clearly not having expected their party planning duties to be put into action quite so quickly.

Ryan knew it was pointless to argue, and he really knew the video was likely pointless as well. He was just glad he was being spared having to read the suggestions outloud.

"Thanks Michael. I'll read over the suggestions tonight."

"Ryan, can you come into my office for a minute?" Michael asked, a bit shyly. Ryan was definitely more than a little frightened, but decided the path of least resistance was to follow Michael.

When they arrived in Michael's office, Michael just stood in front of Ryan silently for what seemed to be an eternity before finally speaking.

"Ryan, you have outgrown your cocoon, and you are now a beautiful butterfly flying over the streets of New York. Nothing makes a mentor prouder than when the mentor lets the student loose to fly free. I want to give you something special."

"No, Michael, it's really not necessary...." Ryan stammered. He really had no idea what Michael would choose to give him. He was also thrown off balance by Michael's extreme shift in attitude, but he knew Michael could adapt his mood on a dime.

Michael walked over to his desk and picked up his "World's Best Boss" mug.

"Here, Ryan. I want you to have this. I know it would have meant the world to me if it had been given to me by one of my employees," Michael told him sincerely.

Ryan had absolutely no idea what say to that. He had thought Dwight had purchased Michael that mug, though he wasn't sure why he was surprised that Michael would proudly display a mug that gave him a self-proclaimed title.

"No, really Michael. I don't need it."

Michael looked really hurt. Ryan just wanted to get out of there.

Jim came in the room just then, clearly having overheard everything.

"Michael, I think Ryan just doesn't think he's earned the mug yet. He's only been a boss for six weeks, and I think it would be dishonoring you to take it with so little experience," Jim said. "Besides, when Ryan is at corporate he's really only the boss of Hunter. So he would need a travel mug to show off when he's at the branches."

Ryan looked to Michael to see if that helped at all.

While Ryan had always been the recipient of the creepy looks and off comments, Jim was the one Michael had always seemed to truly admire as the person he wanted to be like. And Jim was always so strangely protective of Michael, which Ryan had never fully understood given that Jim seemed to be openly mocking him when he wasn't protecting him.

Sure enough, Michael was perking up from Jim's comments. Jim really could appease Michael like no other.

Ryan really couldn't get over how perceptive Jim was sometimes. He often used that ability to push buttons for his own enjoyment, as he so often did to Dwight. But he also could smooth over a situation with ease, getting people to do things for his benefit as well. Ryan supposed that's what made him such an effortless salesman.

"Thank you Jim. And you're right. I'll try and find Ryan a travel mug. Then he can take it to Albany and Buffalo and show it off."

"I will definitely do that," Ryan said sarcastically, largely by instinct. Luckily, Michael didn't pick up on the sarcasm.

"Well guys, let's get to those brownies. I also hear Pam drew up a really nice banner for you Ryan," Michael said proudly.

"Are there sombreros? Then we'll have all the pieces of my favorite parties" Ryan said in his usual monotone.

"Of course! We've had those ever since last year's Christmas party!"

Ryan shook his head, the sarcasm continuing to be lost on Michael. It was probably just as well. He really wasn't trying to hurt Michael, but it was just so hard to take the ridiculousness seriously sometimes.

Ryan hung back with Jim a second as Michael quickly entered the conference room. "Thanks, man. I thought Michael was going to cry when I didn't take his mug. But seriously, what would I do with it?"

"I imagine it would go on your special shelf with your Dundie," Jim said.

"And my yogurt lid medal," Ryan said, instantly regretting the comment.

"Well, there is sometimes something to be said for sentiment. Speaking of which, aren't you even going ask about Kelly?"

Jim had quickly changed tone on him. It seemed the yogurt lid crack affected him more deeply than he would have thought. Ryan figured Jim must have treasured his as a souvenier of a day spent with Pam, which was just a bit pathetic considering that Pam had been engaged at the time.

"I've moved on. I told you from the beginning that I wasn't looking for anything serious," Ryan said.

"Yeah, and Kelly was so quiet about what she wanted."

"Fine, I'll bite. So where's Kelly?"

"Oh, she's on a trip with her new boyfriend. He apparently is way hotter than you," Jim told him. Jim shrugged. "Apparently Kelly got over you faster than Michael did."

Ryan let out a little laugh, and the tension that had been there quickly dissipated. Ryan knew he should feel guilty about the abruptness of his breakup with Kelly, but it had truly been a long time coming. Though Ryan had been feeling a bit lonely and even more detached as of late, he really didn't miss Kelly's constant chattering.

Though somehow, he was also relieved that he hadn't seen her. He had a feeling that she might draw him in again if he did. That girl definitely had some sort of strange pull on him that he didn't like to analyze too closely.

"You ready to face your big party?" Jim asked, abruptly changing the subject again.

"I think so. I definitely think I'll need a drink after all this. You still in for Poor Richard's afterwards?" Ryan asked, trying not to sound too hopeful.

"Sure, man. Are you sure you don't want Michael's mug? I hear it makes beer taste better. Plus, he actually has extras in his desk drawer."

"Really? That should be surprising, I guess."

"Yeah. That's Michael for you," Jim said, with a bit of affection in his voice. Ryan noted how Jim really did have an underlying affection for this place, even if his sarcasm and looks to the camera would lead one to believe otherwise.

Ryan was swiftly realizing that his earlier nostalgia was not making him wish he were back here. But he was again enjoying talking to Jim for some reason, and again watching Jim in person reminded him of the ease Jim had with people that Ryan lacked.

Ryan was beginning to formulate an idea, and he was really looking forward to discussing it with Jim at Poor Richard's.

"Let's get this over with. I'm ready for that beer," Ryan told Jim as they entered the conference room.
Chapter End Notes:


Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans