- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Who says you can't go back and change history?

Pam stared back at her reflection in the mirror and self-consciously fluffed out the hair near her temples. She knew her simple blue sundress was no match for some of the more rhinestone-studded ensembles she'd seen, but at least she didn't obviously stand out as a small town Pennsylvanian tourist. As usual, Pam felt that she just blended in, barely noticed in the crowd. Well, barely noticed except by one person. Jim had made it perfectly clear how lovely he thought she looked tonight. She smiled slightly at the memory, and made her way back out to the casino floor to find him.

It was crowded and noisy; not surprising for a Friday night on The Strip. After their romantic dinner Pam and Jim had wandered around the shops and eventually ended up at the video poker machines. An hour of play later they were just about breaking even, and Jim decided to take their luck to the blackjack tables. It was there she found him.

She rounded the corner, and stopped. He was sitting at the far table, facing in her direction. He was smiling broadly at the dealer, a relatively young and pretty blonde women. Pam felt a stab of jealousy at the exchange, even as she knew it was ridiculous and completely unjustifiable. She couldn't help it. Sometimes she still had a hard time believing he really had chosen her. Her thoughts tumbled backwards in time: from Karen to Roy to the one night this place really reminded her of. And once again it completely amazed her that she was here with him. That second chances really existed.

He was wearing one of his nicer suits, the dark one he'd worn to Phyllis' wedding months ago. Even though she had seen him in it countless times she thought tonight he looked especially handsome in it. Handsome and charming and maybe even a little bit cosmopolitan, although she smiled at the idea. She was pretty sure he would laugh out loud at the very suggestion. But somehow he looked a little older than his twenty eight years. He definitely looked more important than a paper salesman from a company full of crazy people. But no matter what the impression, or what the truth, she was very proud of him.

She wondered if he had a sixth sense to know when she was watching him, for after he took a sip of the drink the waitress handed him, he looked directly at her. The thrill she felt when she saw his whole face light up in recognition made her want to run right over to him. But instead she continued to stand there, staring back, hoping that he could tell by just looking at her how much she loved him.

They maintained eye contact until he was distracted by something the dealer said to him. He took his eyes off Pam just long enough to nod in agreement and push a few chips forward. He raised his eyebrows at Pam curiously as the cards were dealt, clearly wondering why she hadn't moved. Pam saw him pick up his card, and a memory of him sitting across from her at a different green felt table so many months ago made her heart ache even now. So many things had been so right that night, yet the most important had gone so terribly wrong. She finally headed towards him, her thoughts focused on just how differently this night was going to end.

She put her hand on his shoulder as she stepped up behind him. “Hey,” she said softly.

Jim looked back at her. “You took your time getting over here.”

Sorry, I couldn't tear myself away from the view.”

Jim grinned as he asked for another card. “Shut up.”

I'm serious,” she replied, leaning in closer so only he could hear her. “You really look amazing tonight.” Pam reached up and tousled the back of his hair a little. “Very attractive.”

Jim smoothed the hair she had ruffled. “Then don't mess up the look,” he joked.

Can't help it,” she replied smoothly, her fingers still playing against the back of his neck. “It was begging me to do that.”

The hand ended and Jim tossed his cards on the table. “See what you're doing?” He complained, turning to smirk at her. “I was winning before you started distracting me.”

Shall I leave you alone then?” She smirked back.

Don't you dare,” he replied. “Just stay here and be beautiful but silent.”

That's quite a request.”

Trust me, I know,” he said, shifting back toward the table. “You keeping silent is probably like asking for the moon.” She scoffed aloud, then dropped her hand from his neck. Jim captured it with his and pressed a kiss onto it.

I'm just teasing,” he said lightly. “You talk all you want.”

She watched him play a few more hands, as different players joined and left their table. She was rubbing small circles onto his back when she noticed how warm he felt. “You should take off your jacket,” she suggested.

I don't have anywhere to put it.”

I can hold it.”

Are you sure?”

Pam almost laughed at how surprised he sounded. “Yes, I think I can manage to hold your jacket.”

Well, I know you can - it just seems like a lot to ask.”

I'm pretty sure it's in my job description,” she replied, her hands already pulling the offending jacket off his shoulders.

Thank you,” he sighed, clearly feeling more comfortable.

A few plays later, a new dealer stepped in, and Jim looked up at Pam. “Want to move onto something else?”

I don't mind,” she said, still hugging his jacket close. “If you're having fun, please keep playing. I don't mind watching.”

Are you sure you don't want to play?”

No, I'm more into poker than blackjack.”

I remember,” he said. The look he gave her confirmed her suspicions that she wasn't the only one reliving the past tonight. “You cleaned me out that night.”

She nodded, her eyes dark with emotion. “In more ways than one, as I recall.”

He tilted his head slightly, as if surprised she'd said it. “Yeah,” he finally replied. “Funny how long ago that seems.”

I wish I could go back and do it differently,” she said softly.

Jim stood up and took his chips off the table. “Don't,” he assured her. “It's all in the past now.” Jim put his hand against the small of her back and started walking them toward the cashier's window.

As they stood in line Pam spoke again. “That doesn't mean I don't imagine how differently that night might have gone.”

Jim licked his lips. “What are you saying?”

Being here in the casino,” Pam gestured. “It - it reminds me of that night, you know?”

He nodded. “I was under the impression we had already established that was true for both of us.”

Well, I just wish we could do it all over and get it right this time.”

Jim was directed to the next open cashier and said no more about it until after he'd cashed in and started walking the path back to their hotel room.  As they arrived at the elevators, he pressed the up button and stepped back to look at her. “So how would we get it right this time?” He asked, a combination of amusement and curiosity apparent in his eyes.

A ding was heard and the doors opened to an empty elevator car. Pam slipped her arm through his, pulling him gently in. She pressed the button for their floor and gave him a playful smile.

When we get to the room just tell me you're in love with me and I'll show you.”






You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans