- Text Size +
Despite the hectic day before, Pam was surprised by how quiet the office had been all morning. Jim gave her a slight nod when he walked in the door before heading to his desk, but that was pretty much the only excitement that morning.

And then the dam broke wide open. It started with some screaming from the annex that Pam distinctly recognized as coming from Kelly and it was definitely louder than usual.

"What the hell do you mean 'We're over'? Ryan Bailey Howard, you are an ass and I have no idea why I even loved you!"

Jim was able to turn around and give Pam a quick 'What the hell?' look just before Kelly came storming into the main office, tears streaming down her face as she continued to yell. "I hope you have a nice life, Ryan -- without me! You stupid jackass." Right as she got to Jim's desk, Kelly turned on her heel and yelled back toward the annex, "And you weren't very good in bed either!" Pam tried hard not to laugh as she looked over at Jim, who seemed to be doing the same thing.

On her way out, Kelly nearly knocked down Karen, who was walking into the office for the first time that day. Pam caught Karen's eye and gave her a slight smile, but Karen was having none of it. Instead, she walked right into Michael's office, closing the door behind her.

Everyone looked around at each other as if they were all checking to make sure someone else witnessed the craziness.

"What was all that about?" Kevin asked.

"Who cares?" Angela replied. "As long as Kelly doesn't come back, it'll be fine."

"But what about Karen in Michael's office?" Oscar asked.

Several people were now craning their necks to see what was going on with Michael and Karen so Pam quickly decided to play solitaire, figuring the meeting had something to do with her. Jim seemed to be doing the same thing.

A half hour later, Michael opened his door and asked Pam to call Toby, Kelly, and Ryan into the room. She didn't feel like asking why or explaining Kelly's absence, so she simply dialed.

"I have an announcement, Dunder Mifflin Scranton," Michael said once everyone arrived. "Karen has just informed me that she is taking over Jan's job at corporate so she'll be leaving us soon." A few quiet 'Congratulations' could be heard before he cleared his throat. "That means that she'll be our boss, but that doesn't mean we have to listen to her."

"Actually, I think it does," Kevin said.

"Shut it, Kevin," Michael said, a little too forcefully. "As I said, Karen's leaving us, which means we're finally back to our original Scranton family. Well, and Andy. So because we are a family again, we have to act as a family and forgive and forget. Ryan, I forgive your deceitful double crossing of me so you can have your old desk back!" Michael ended the last sentence with a dramatic flair of his arm toward the desk as if he was a showcase model for The Price is Right.

"Um...I can't take the desk back, Michael."

Michael gave him a menacing look. "What have you done now?"

Ryan shoved his hands in his pockets. "Karen asked me to be her number two in New York and I accepted."

"You have got to be...you know what, Ryan? Jim is the only number two in this office so go pack your stuff up now. Jim!"

"Um...yeah?"

Michael's eyes narrowed as he stared at Jim. "Move your stuff back to your old desk. Everyone else, back to work. And to you two traitors," he said, his head turning to face Karen and Ryan. "You are no longer welcome into the family home so it would be best if you left."

With that, he went back to his office, slamming the door behind him.

*** *** ***

And then it was eerily quiet again. Around two o'clock, Karen and Ryan walked out of the office together without anyone saying a word. It wasn't that people didn't want to say goodbye, it was just that Michael had been sitting at his desk, staring out at the office since his blow-up earlier in the day. That was two hours ago. He was creeping people out so everyone seemed to silently agree to just leave him alone and not do anything to piss him off further.

Meanwhile, Jim had moved his stuff back to his old desk -- all of it. After staring at his desk for all these months, Pam knew his family pictures were back where they belonged, but he had shoved his rubber band ball in a desk drawer after Karen made a disparaging remark about it. Pam now saw it perched on the edge of the desk by his computer monitor and she smiled.

A few hours later, Pam finally got up enough courage to talk to Jim -- something she still hadn't been able to do all day. She didn't want to be disappointed again after their botched date the day before.

"So you're officially moved in?" she asked, smiling as she leaned against his desk.

"Yeah, I'm back," he said, looking up at her with a grin on his face.

"I'm glad," she said, smiling back at him. "So listen, about tonight, I was thinking you only have to show up around 7:30 since it ends at eight. Then maybe I could drop off my work at my place and meet you somewhere for dinner."

Jim put on his mockingly thoughtful face. "Hm... How about I meet you there at six o'clock when it starts, follow you back to your place, and drive you to dinner?"

"You don't have to be there at six."

His mocking face continued. "I think I told you yesterday that I would be there at six soooo I'm pretty sure I'll be there at six."

"OK, but you're going to get bored."

He gave her that loopy grin that she always loved and leaned back in his chair. "I'm looking forward to it."

She rolled her eyes and pushed herself off his desk. "I'll see you tonight."

"It's a date."

"It's a date," she replied, still not believing it was actually going to happen.

"I'm pretty sure that's what I said." The loopy grin was still on his face.

"OK. Then I'll see you tonight. On our date." She took a nervous step forward before smiling at him and walking out the door.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans