- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
The 3rd installment! What a way to start your morning! Enjoy :)
Is there protocol for this kind of thing? she wonders. Is the polite thing to return your ex-boyfriend’s boxers you found in the laundry? Or do you do what instinct says and burn them?

The one thing she does know is that she can’t have them in her house. For something she was so used to having at the end of her bed, the kitchen floor, the bathroom, and even that one time on the roof, now it’s just an unwelcome reminder of what used to be. If it were any other pair, she’d wouldn’t give it a second thought. But it’s the pair she gave him as a gag gift; bright red with an array of vegetables printed throughout, one type most assuredly beets. She’d thrown it in his underwear drawer with a note that read “No ifs ands or beets about it, I love you.” She can’t help but smile at the memory and before she can think too much about it, she grabs her car keys and heads straight to his apartment.

Now she feels ridiculous, standing on his doorstep, holding his underwear and kicking herself for ever thinking this was a good idea. To her horror, he opens the door before she even knocks and he nearly topples onto her.

“Whoa—“ he holds her back to keep her from falling over and it’s the closest physical contact they’ve had in weeks. From the whiff of Colgate she inhales, she knows he’s brushed his teeth but still looks like he just rolled out of bed, which for 1 o’clock on a Saturday is pretty unusual for him.

“Sorry, I probably should have called first but—“

“No, that’s cool. I was just getting the paper and, yeah, sorry I tripped on you.” They laugh and he moves aside to let her in. She notices things look cleaner from the last time she was here, no dishes in the sink and no laundry on the couch covered not-so-discreetly by a blanket.

“So what’s up?” he asks, and she bites back a laugh as she watches him try to shove his hands into his pocket-less pajama pants before finally just crossing his arms.

Then it hits her that she now has to explain why she’s here and the only thought that comes to mind is Crap.

“Oh, umm…okay, this is kind of awkward. I was doing laundry and I found…” she holds them out to him, hoping that they’ll explain themselves so that she doesn’t have to.

His mouth drops in pleasant surprise. “Wow. I can’t believe—I was actually looking for these.”

“You were?”

“Well…yeah. I mean they’re my favorite. Which, now that I’ve said that, is also awkward.”

She laughs and forgets herself for moment. “Are they your lucky boxers?”

“Well, I certainly got—okay, so anyway…” he clears his throat and his cheeks are the deepest shade of red Pam has ever seen. “Thanks for returning them.”

“Sure.” Pam rocks on her heels, searching for something to stall her from leaving because they’re laughing and it’s the most natural and alive she’s felt in weeks.

“Umm, I don’t know if you have somewhere to be or something but I was about to put on pot of coffee if you want…”

“Yes,” she answers a little too quickly and by the smile on his face, she knows that he caught that. “That’d be good.”

Chapter End Notes:
Serve me some reviews with a fresh cup of coffee and hashbrowns on the side :)

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans