- Text Size +
Story Notes:
I got in a challenge-y mood tonight and just starting writing. Enjoy.
Author's Chapter Notes:
I own nada. Zilch. Zip.

She dumps Roy on a Wednesday. She's given it more thought than she's ever given anything before, because, after all, ten years is a long, long time.

She moves out on a Thursday. She offers to pay Kelly for letting her stay with her until she can find her own apartment. Kelly declines, squealing and telling her they'll do girls' night on Friday and it'll be totally awesome to carpool to work. Pam's grateful she at least has someone she can count on to be the same person when they wake up as they are when they go to sleep at night.

She, reluctantly, agrees to a girls' night on Friday. She and Kelly watch two hours of Sex and the City, followed by Legally Blonde. She scoffs at the idea, wondering how ashamed Jim would be of her to know this is what she's amounted to in just under a week.

A long, long week. She's clutched her cell phone in her hand for seven days, and had it near her head for six nights. She considers calling him, but somehow fights it off.

It's a beautiful Saturday. She's off work and Kelly's with Ryan. She offered to let Pam come along - even offered to set her up with a friend - but Pam declined, saying there were other things she really should do with her time.

Somewhere between newspapers and online apartment hunting, she became infuriated. She doesn't know when she grabs her keys, scribbles a note for Kelly, and heads out the door. She doesn't notice that the whole drive to Stamford, she's clutching the wheel so hard her knuckles are whiter than white.

When she gets there, she's too angry to turn around. She calls information to find where he's staying. She thanks God he's listed, and plans out the best way to his house.

She guesses his promotion has more perks than just being out of Scranton.

He's not home when she gets there, but she's still too angry to turn around. She sits on the hood of her car, waiting.

When it starts to rain, she considers getting into her car, but the rain is sending cold shivers down her spine, and honestly...she likes the tinge of pain.

She doesn't know what time it is when he pulls up, but the streetlights are on and it's still pouring. He sees her, and she knows he does, because his mouth drops open and he tries to cover his head with his jacket as he runs over to her.

"Pam? What...God, you're sopping. Do you want to go in?" He squints, as though the water dripping onto his face and maybe into his eyes might be the death of him.

"No. I...I don't know exactly why I'm here. I just need to say something." She never takes her eyes off his.

"...Yeah?" He asks. The impaitent tone in his voice sends her over the edge.

"How dare you." She whispers.

"Me? What did I do?"

"How DARE you!" She's screaming now. "TEN YEARS, Jim. TEN. And then you...YOU." She laughs angrily. "Oh, you. You stroll in, tell me you love me, kiss me. And just as easily, you stroll right the hell back out. To Stamford. A world away. You just..."

He's never heard her screaming before, not like this. Her eyes are red and he thinks she might be crying, but it's raining and she's obviously been out here longer than he has.

"Do you know...You should know. You should've known, Jim. Why'd you leave? God. Classic guy move: shake my world up like it's some...fucking...snowglobe! And then just throw it on the ground and walk away."

"I should've known what?! That you didn't feel that way? Again, sorry I misinterpreted our friendship." He starts to walk away, but she runs and steps in front of him.

"Fuck you! Fuck you for that!" He stares at her blankly, angrily. "I left Roy."

Now she's walking away. The grip on her arm is unfamiliar and rough. "Stop. What?"

"You heard me. I left him. Realized I couldn't settle, after all." She twists free of his grip and screams again. "Why the fuck did you leave?!"

"What was I supposed to do?!" He screams. "Keep putting myself out there time and time again, having you kick dirt in my face? Walk into that damned office Monday morning and see you and not want to fucking kill myself? Fuck. You thought you were embarassed when you didn't take that internship. You don't know shit, Pam."

"I know you're a coward!" She screams. She wills herself to stop running towards her car; she has no reason to go home.

"Oh, great! Yeah! I'm the coward! I stayed engaged to someone for ten years because I didn't think I could do any better. No. I told someone the darkest fucking secret I'll ever have held because I thought they'd have something to share back. How fucking cowardly, Beesly." He's given up on shielding himself from the rain.

"You walked away. You didn't give me a chance. You never planned to, did you?" She has to scream now to be heard over the rain and the thunder.

"I knew I was getting transferred when I told you." He confesses.

He's not expecting to be slapped, and she doesn't expect to slap him. But she's glad she does. "What the hell would've happened had I said I loved you, too? You were just fucking with my head, gonna leave me messed up and broken either way!"

He balls his hands into fists and hits either side of his head, afraid he might hit her. "God damnit, Pam! I wasn't fucking with you! I'm in love with you. There, said it again. Got anything to say for yourself?"

"Fuck you." She's not sure why she gets in her car. She's not sure why she backs out of his driveway, and she's not sure why she goes back to Kelly's. She is sure, though, that she lost that battle.

Chapter End Notes:

Ew. Angsty.

(I love it.)



mizjessica08 is the author of 9 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 3 members. Members who liked Drive also liked 423 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans