- Text Size +
Story Notes:

Thank you to everyone who discussed this story idea with me and threw out some ideas for future chapters at the MTT boards in the fanfic thread. And thanks to time4moxie for the beta job.
To those who weren't in on the conversation, let me just say, I know this idea is improbable, but I feel like it's not impossible (especially when you think about some of Jim's character traits) and I just really wanted to explore it. And personally, this possible aspect of Jim kind of appeals to me. So
please don't throw garbage at me if you don't agree with this idea. Constructive criticism is welcome, but no flames, please.

Disclaimer: I don't own anything related to "The Office" or NBC.

At the close of Jim and Pam's third date, they were entangled with each other on Pam's couch. Kisses and touches punctuated a perfect evening, but when Pam whispered of them moving to the bedroom, she felt Jim tense a little.

"You sure?" he asked gently, smoothing her hair back from her face.

She smiled brilliantly and nodded, interpreting his concern as making sure he wasn't rushing her into anything. And soon, they were on Pam's bed- between sheets and surrounded by pillows, their clothes strewn about the floor. They took their time; just kisses and caresses, both wanting to savor every moment.

Though Pam knew this wouldn't be their last time, it would be their first, and she wanted to remember it, wanted it to be special. But being not the most patient person on earth, Pam tried to move things along. As things got more heated, she felt Jim tense up a little. She felt him fumble in his previously fluid movements, and she couldn't help the sense of insecurity that shot through her. She still had far to go in the confidence department, and Jim's hesitancy made her wonder if he really wasn't into her as much as she'd thought and hoped.

Pam pulled away slightly, placed a hand on Jim's cheek. "Hey... Are you okay?" She asked against his lips, their noses touching, her breath coming in quick puffs that mingled with his.

"What? Oh yeah. Of course," he answered, shifting his eyes to the side a little before settling them back onto her.

"Are you sure? You seem a little tense. Is it... is it something I'm doing? I mean, you just have to tell me what you want if I'm doing something you don't like--"

Jim cut her off with a kiss "God no. Pam. It's not you. Believe me. You're perfect."

Butterflies beat their wings inside her ribcage, but the smile she felt within her didn't quite reach her eyes, as it was overshadowed by her concern. "Then what is it?" she asked, smoothing out the hair at his temples, at the back of his neck.

"It's nothing," he said, sweeping a hand down her side, dipping his head to nuzzle her neck. But she could feel him trembling slightly, and knew something was up. 

"Come on, Jim. You can talk to me," she said as soothingly as she could, trying to mask the shakiness in her voice.

"Yeah, I'm just--" he sighed, shook his head almost imperceptibly. "I'm a little nervous, I guess." He gave her a crooked smile.

Pam smiled, relieved. She was nervous, too, and it comforted her to know that they were both in the same boat. She reached up and kissed him softly. "We can go slow. We have all night."

Jim nodded, and turned his attentions back to her neck, her collarbone. He learned every inch of her with his fingers and his mouth, and Pam felt loved and worshipped. She tried her best to reciprocate, but she still felt Jim's shoulders tense up whenever it seemed like she was going to go any further. She still couldn't get past the feeling that maybe she was doing something wrong. Afterall, she'd only been with one other man in her life. Jim could have other needs that she wasn't even thinking of.

"Jim..."

"Mmm?"

"Um, are you sure everything's okay? Please tell me if you want me to do something differently, or..."

Jim pulled back from her. "Come on Pam. I told you it's not you. It's definitely not you."

"Then why can't you look at me when you say that?" she asked quietly.

He sighed loudly, and she knew she'd effectively killed the mood. He was definitely frustrated about something.

"Jim?"

He laid his head in the crook of her neck for a few moments, and then rolled off of her. Pam felt as if she might cry; a lump was rising in her throat. What was happening? This was supposed to be special; not full of insecurity and so much awkwardness that it ended before it even really started. 

Jim sighed heavily. "I was... hoping I wouldn't have to admit this until after... when you will probably wonder why it wasn't as good as it could have been... but... I guess now is just as good."

"To tell me what?" her eyes searched his, and she was getting nervous wondering what it was he had to tell her. Had he previously been a woman or something? Did he have erectile dysfunction? Was he bisexual, and women just weren't doing it for him this week? A million strange and disturbing possibilities flew through her head at that moment.

"Um, This is so embarrassing," he began, chewing on his bottom lip. "It's just that...I've never actually, um, done this before." His voice rose at the end as if it was a question.

Pam stared at him dumbly. "Done what?"

"I mean, I've done this. I've kissed women before..." his gaze began to wander around the room, afraid of the expression he imagined to be on Pam's face. "Wow, this is so not the right time to be talking about other women I've kissed, but I don't mean that. Or even this... I've just never been farther than... this."

He chanced a glance at Pam's face, and she was staring at him pretty much stunned, a little confused, her mouth fallen open. "Wow," she whispered.

"Yeah."

"That's what this was all about? Why didn't you tell me before?"

"Are you serious? I'm a twenty-eight-year-old guy who has never had sex before for no real reason other than it just hasn't happened yet. Don't you think that's a little embarrassing?"

"No, I don't think it is."

"And I just wanted this to be so perfect, you know? I mean, it's us..." he looked away.

Pam slipped her hand into his, and he turned his gaze back toward her. "It will be. And hey, we already had an awesome start." She smiled at him.

He smiled slightly back at her, and then both were silent for a few long moments, holding eye contact as the tension dissipated slowly.

Pam smoothed back Jim's hair and smiled.

"What?"

"I think it's kind of sweet that I get to be your first."

"Ugh. Pam... That makes it sound like we're sixteen or something."

She giggled. "Hey, can you tell me about it, though? I mean, I'm just curious as to what led up to you being a twenty-eight-year-old virgin. That's just... well, it just seems like it doesn't ever happen with guys who weren't actually trying to wait until marriage because of religious beliefs or something."

"You want me to tell you the details now?"

"Mm-hmm." She snuggled up closer to him- a leg flung over his and her chin resting on his shoulder- "We have all night to be together. This is really important, too."

Jim rolled his eyes. "Fine... Where do I start?"

"Well, from the beginning... did you have many girlfriends in high school?"

Jim let out a disbelieving laugh and shook his head. "I can't believe I'm naked in bed with you, and I'm talking about my past relationships."

"Just get on with it, Halpert!"

 To be continued...


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans