- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

IV.

After Jim admitted to Karen about his feelings toward Pam, their relantionship had been on the rocks.  Karen always seemed too distant, then she was too clingy.  When Jim began to think that they were going to make it together, despite Pam hanging over them like a dark cloud, Karen told him that she was going to transfer.

"Why?"
"I don't know... I don't like Scranton.  It's too small.  Michael... I guess. I don't see myself working for him for the rest of my life.  Among other things."  She said all of this looking at Jim's tie.
"Where does this leave us?"
She finally looked up to meet Jim's eyes.  "Come with me?"
He didn't know what to say.  He wanted to stay with Pam, even if she didn't love him.  But he also wanted to go.  It was hell in Stamford without Pam. But Karen was a great girl.  It wasn't going to work with Pam,  everything was so messed up.  Even if Pam wasn't with Roy now, she would some how end up right back with him.  He should transfer with Karen, if only to get out of here.  Again.

In the end, Jim didn't transfer.  She left and didn't look back.

The day after Karen left, Jim was sitting in the break room and looking glum.  Pam came in and Jim's heart skipped a beat.
"Hey, you OK?" Pam asked.
"Yeah.  Fine"
"You don't look fine."
He looked up and saw Pam standing by the drink machine.  "Karen and I broke up."
"Oh. Is that why she isn't here today?"
"Something like that.  She transferred to New York."
"I'm sorry."
"Don't be."
"Do you want to talk about it?"  She sat down at his table.  Looking at him with her green eyes, full of concern.
"She filed for a transfer a couple of weeks ago and just yesterday she told me about it and then she asked me to go with her."
"You didn't."  It wasn't a question.
"No" He looked directly right her. Her eyes widen a bit, then she looked down at her hands, as if she was nervous.
"Why didn't you?" She asked the question still looking at her hands.
"I don't know." Something in her voice made Pam look up.  She met his eyes.

This time she didn't look away.  And his heart began to race.


Chapter End Notes:
I'm not sure about this chapter.  Let me know what you guys think

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans