- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Ryan is a worthless bastard.

            Michael really shouldn’t have given him a key, especially since he was still just a temp at the time. But that didn’t mean he didn’t take advantage of it from time to time.

            Kelly had begged him to pick up some coffee for her on his way to her apartment, but he wasn’t in the mood to pay ten bucks for a couple of designer drinks that night. So instead he stopped by the office, let himself in, and fired up the coffee maker. She would probably whine that he’d brought the cheap stuff, but he would just remind her that she was the one who hated the smell of brewing coffee so much that she wouldn’t keep any in her house.

            He was bored, so he decided to check his email. Jim was the only one who left his computer on over the weekends—Angela had gone on an energy conservation kick lately, and half of the people in the office wouldn’t want anyone seeing what they looked at on the internet anyway. But Jim was careless that way.

            His email was mostly forwards from Michael and reminders from Kelly, but there was one email from a friend of his with the phone number of a cute girl they’d met at a bar the other night. That was important. He should write that down. He glanced around the desk for something to write on, then opened the top drawer to see if there were any Post-it’s there. Instead, there was a couple of sheets of paper, blanks filled in with Jim’s most careful writing. A job application.

            Holy crap. Jim was going to try for that job in corporate. He didn’t realize that anyone else in this office even knew about that opening. He glanced over the sheet, skimming over Jim’s address and focusing on his previous work experience. Jim would definitely have the upper hand on this one.

            He put the paper on the desk and searched through Jim’s desk for the pen that had filled out this application. Quickly, without even stopping to think about what he was doing, he made some careful corrections to Jim’s salary expectations and contact info. Then he put the paper back in the drawer, exactly as he had found it.

            The coffee was ready. He left with two Styrofoam cups and a smug smile.

           


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans