- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Yeah, wow, sorry guys. Life kind of just happened and I haven't been able to attend to this.  But here I am with an update!  Still some rough waters but the fog is clearing!  Or some other water metaphor....sorry, I'm really tired.

/rambling.  Enjoy!

“Good morning!  It’s 6:00 am on the dot here at WYDM and it is quite the beautiful morning.  Though, it will be a lot more beautiful after my first cup of coffee, that’s for sure.  We’ve got lots of material to cover today:  The best unknown bars in the area, because sometimes you want to go where no one knows your name;  the worst ways you’ve been dumped, a good lesson in what not to do; and later we’ll talk to the guy who holds the record for most number of hours spent on YouTube.  Trust me, it’ll make you feel better about your lack of a social life, it certainly did for me. Pam and I want to thank you for joining us at this early hour.”

A long silence followed, Jim waiting for Pam to chime in.  Instead, he found her leaning back in her chair, absently flipping through a magazine.

“Pam?  Our listeners are waiting to hear that voice of yours to start their morning off right.”

Still, she kept reading the magazine, a bitter tuft of air escaping her lips as her only response.

“Okay, we seem to be having some technical difficulties with her mic, we’ll try and get that working.  In the meantime, we’ve got some traffic and news updates for you.  Stay put, this is Jim and Pam in the Morning.”  Jim muted his mic and stared at Pam, willing her to look up.  When she never did, he grudgingly strolled into her booth, leaning in the doorway with his arms crossed.

“What was that about?”

Pam continued to read, giving a small shrug.  “Don’t want to intrude on your show.”

“You mean ‘our’ show.”

She slammed the magazine closed and tossed it on her desk.  “No, I mean your show.  You’re the big guns from Philly, you’re the guy with all the answers, you’re the guy who doesn’t need a co-host.  That’s fine.”  She stood quickly and pushed past him, speeding down the hall.  Jim trailed behind her.

“What are you talking about?  When did I ever say—“

“You didn’t say, that’s the problem.” Pam spun around angrily, shoving a finger into his chest.  “Don’t send Michael to do your dirty work for you.  I now have to live with the image of seeing that man cry and trust me, it’s not pretty.”

Jim grabbed her arm to keep her from speeding off again.

“What did Michael say?”

“You should know,” Pam shot back, trying to wriggle her arm free.  “You’re the one that told him to demote me.”

What?  Pam, I never told him to do that!  You’re amazing, why would I want to demote you?”

His choice of words in describing her had stunned her silent for a moment.

“DJ.  An amazing DJ,” he corrected quickly.  “I almost quit my job because you couldn’t be my co-host, remember?  And I’ll do it again.”  He started to march off to Michael’s office to do just that when Pam’s voice beckoned him back.

“You can’t.  Michael’s got you under contract.  Apparently that little legal matter slipped his mind the last time you threatened him.”

“Who cares?”

“Stations you try to work for will care.”  Her tone had softened but her disappointment was painfully visible in her eyes.  “Look, don’t worry about it, okay?  I was a board operator for a long time before I was a DJ, I can go right back to it.”

Jim’s head reeled trying to think of a way around the serious problem at hand.  Losing Pam as a DJ was one thing but losing any chance of developing a relationship with her other than a professional one was something he refused to let happen.

xxx

“Space Jan, what can I do you for?  Uhh---for you.  What can I do for you?”

Michael, I’m listening to Jim’s show right now—

“Good stuff, right?  A little too vanilla for my taste, but people seem to like him so…”

I’m calling actually about Pam and her role on the show.”

“Already took care of it.  The rest of the gang told me that she was just getting in the way so I put the ka-bosh on that one.  No need to thank me.  I mean, thank me if you want to but—“

Wait, you fired her?

“No, God no, she’s the best!  I just demoted her—“

You what?!?

“Back to board operator.  I know, it shows a great deal of leadership and a professionalistic attitude and I heartily accept—“

Michael, she brought in listeners!  The counts shot up once she got on the air, people love the dynamic between her and Jim, it’s in all the surveys!

Michael groaned.  “Jan, I don’t know what you want me to do!  I had half my staff threaten to quit if I didn’t demote her!”

There was a hiss on the other end of the line, presumably Jan letting out one of her frequent agitated sighs.  

I will come down there tomorrow and figure all of this out.”

“No, Jan, I can take care of this.”

You’ve done enough.  I’ll be there at 10:00 am.  Please make sure Jim and Pam stay after their show.”

A dial tone ensued, leaving Michael staring at the phone with worry before letting his head fall to his desk with a whimper.

xxx

The WYDM staff gathered in the conference room the next morning promptly at ten.  The tension was palpable as many of the DJs shot steely glances in Pam’s direction, with the board operators glaring right back in defense.  Michael paced the front of the room nervously, glancing at the door for any sign of his undoubtedly irritated boss.

“Look, while we wait for Jan to get here, are there any questions?”

Angela shot her hand up.  “Why are we here?”

“We have to wait for Jan to get here before I can answer that.  Anyone else?  Yes, Dwight?”

“Do you use anti-perspirant?”

“What?”

“I noticed some dark stains around your underarm region.  You may want to consider getting prescription strength deodorant in order to stop the unusually heavy amount of sweat you seem to be accumulating—“

“Will you just shut---Ah, Jan!  Jan Levinson, everybody!”  Michael started to clap at her entrance, only getting Andy and Dwight to join in with him while the rest of the group remained sullen.

“I know you’re all wondering why I called this meeting,” Jan began.  “I’m here to clear the air about certain job shifts that have recently taken place.”

Pam felt her face begin to burn and she slunk down further in her seat.  Jim, who had nearly knocked Oscar over in order to sit next to her, placed a tentative hand on her knee.

“It’ll be okay,” he whispered.

“WYDM prides itself on being one of the most progressive radio stations in the area,” Jan began.  “We are constantly adapting to changes in our community and demographic in order to provide the best entertainment and news possible.  This includes the readjustment of certain roles in this station if that readjustment is in the best interest of the station and its listeners.  That being said, if there are any concerns with these changes, now is the time to voice them.”

“El Capitan, if I may,” Andy spoke up, standing and straightening his tie.  “I think what the board operators are trying to do is appalling and disgraceful….and appalling.”  He turned toward Kelly, his expression softening.  “I think we have some amazing talent here at this station, and why mess with perfection?”  He gave a not-so-subtle wink, Kelly rolling her eyes and shifting away from him in her seat.  Never one for defeat, Andy continued.  “I will do whatever it takes to keep these rebels from taking over.  You know why?   Because I…ain’t too proud to beg, sweet darlin’, please don’t—“ he began to sing, snapping and swaying to the beat.

“Andy,” Michael said between clenched teeth.  “Ix-nay on the inging-say.”

“Right-o, boss.”

“As much as it pains me to say it, I agree with Andy,” Angela said.  “We’ve all worked really hard to get to where we are today and it hardly seems fair that some college drop out gets a spot on the morning show just for flaunting herself in front of her superior.”

“Whoa, guys—“ Michael started to interject but was quickly cut off by a booming Phyllis.

“What’s the matter, Angela?  Afraid of someone giving real advice and stealing all of your listeners?”

Excuse me?

“Guys, I think we’re getting off track—“

“Ugg boots were mentioned on my show! And that just cannot be!  It is wrong and cruel and everything that is wrong in this world!” Kelly stomped her foot like a petulant child.

“Oh my God, Kelly, shut up!  Your entire wardrobe is made of pink polyester, what the hell do you know about fashion!” Meredith sneered.

Kevin opened a bag of potato chips and grinned.  “Cat fight.”

 “Should I get the mud?”  Creed asked.

“ENOUGH!”  Jan bellowed, all eyes quickly turning to her.  “Let’s take five, reconvene, and no one is leaving until we figure this out.”  With a hand to her head, she stormed out of the conference room, Michael giving his employees one last look of despair before following closely behind her.

Those left in the conference room stood in bewilderment, awkward and unsure of what to do.  Angela finally stood and high-tailed it towards the break room and soon most everyone followed close behind her.  Jim began to leave but noticed Pam still low in her chair, staring at nothing in particular.

He mustered up a bit of courage and took his seat back next to her.  They sat that way for a few moments, neither one talking but not feeling a need to do so until Jim finally spoke.

“Such a troublemaker.”

He snuck a glance at her out of the corner of his eye, and though she did not look at him, he could see the faintest hint of a smile peeking from the corner of her mouth.


Chapter End Notes:
It's National Review Day.  Just FYI.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans