- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
So I've decided to start adapting book titles for chapter titles. Kind of like The Chronicles of Narnia, only not. Anyway, let's hope I keep coming up with ideas for this Chronicles thing as well as book titles to use. Suggestions are welcome! :)
Usually, he never felt depressed, but today was different. Today, he had to ride up on the elevator with Angela. Normally,this wasn't a problem, but this morning, it was awkward. They had a big fight last night and it didn't help that she wouldn't say a word to him.

As the doors opened on their floor, he tried to make one last-ditch effort. "Monkey?" he asked. She ignored him and harshly opened the door to the office.

Dwight walked slowly behind her, giving her plenty of room as he dragged himself to his desk. It seemed like the whole place was in a funk -- Pam didn't say hello when he walked in, Phyllis was banging on her keyboard, and Meredith looked more haggard than usual. They seemed to all be on the same cycle and were PMSing together.

Dwight never drank coffee, but he needed it this morning. He opened the door to the kitchen and saw Jim's head snap up with a look of hope on his face. Then he stared back at the table, his face falling back into depression as he looked into the cup in front of him.

"Dwight," he said in a monotone voice.

"Jim."

Dwight looked down at the coffee pot as it finished brewing, then started to pour himself a cup.

"Hey, can you bring that over here?" Jim asked.

Dwight wasn't feeling up to fighting with Jim today so he simply walked over, poured Jim another cup, and put the pot back on the counter.

"Thanks, man," Jim muttered.

"You're welcome. Do you want milk or something?"

Jim shook his head. "Black is fine."

Blech. Dwight hated his coffee black and quickly opened four packets of sugar and poured them in. Taking a sip, he tried not to think about talking to Jim about his problem, but he didn't know where else to turn.

"Women," he said matter-of-factly.

"Yeah," Jim replied, keeping his eyes fixed on his cup.

He figured Jim wasn't pushing him away so he pulled out the chair across the table from him and sat down. He took a few more sips of coffee before he finally got the courage to continue the conversation.

"Jim, when you and Pam, you know, fight...what do you fight about?"

Jim looked up at him, his eyes tired and weary. "Let's see...the fight we're in right now is...well, it's about the past alot, I guess. We're just having some trouble getting away from it."

Dwight nodded his head slightly. "Right."

"What about you and Angela?"

Dwight sat up straight in his chair. "What are you talking about?"

"Oh, sorry. It's just...well, I kind of know about you and Angela," Jim replied before quickly adding, "but I haven't told anyone."

As much as he was angry that Jim knew, he also felt good knowing that he didn't have to hide his love for Angela from everyone in the office. He slouched down in his chair and stared into his coffee cup. "She's set in her ways."

"Yeah," Jim said quietly. "That sounds about right."

Dwight looked up at him, a bit surprised. "I thought Pam was acting different since she broke up with Roy."

Jim sighed. "She is different, but she just...there are things that she still insists on carrying with her."

"Tell me about it."

Jim sighed and threw his head back, trying to get the last drops from his cup. He backed his chair up slowly, but didn't stand. "I'm really sorry, but I have to get some paperwork done. You gonna be OK, man?"

"Me? Yeah, it'll be OK."

Jim nodded his head slightly and stood up. "Let me know if you need to talk."

"Thanks, Jim. You, too."

They nodded at each other -- a gentleman's agreement of sorts -- and Jim walked out, leaving Dwight to his thoughts.

After finishing his coffee with four sugars, Dwight put his cup in the sink and went back to his desk. He sat down, but could only stare blankly at the screen in front in him.

Across the room, he could hear Jim talking to Angela about the monthly expense reports.

"So I'll fix these and have them back to you by this afternoon."

"Thank you," he heard Angela reply.

"Oh, and can you do me a favor? Dwight is having...well, he's a little heartbroken about a fight he's having with his girlfriend. I thought maybe you could talk to him about it, let him know it's going to be OK?"

Dwight peered over at his monitor to see Angela's reaction. Her mouth was a tight line, her back stiff, but he noticed her eyes were soft and warm. "I will consider your request," she said simply.

"Thanks, Angela."

Jim walked back to his desk, head down, eyes on the ground. Dwight noticed Pam watching him walk past her. As Jim sat down, Dwight caught his eye and gave him a slight nod. Jim gave him one of his loopy half smiles in reply. Normally, they annoyed Dwight, but after their conversation in the kitchen, Dwight understood what Jim was trying to say.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans