- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Thank you so much to my beta's Sharky and Azlin. You guys are great! I have at least two more chapters to add to this story. It's mostly written. It just needs to be edited a little more.

Chapter 3

 

“Ok, that was just mean,” Pam said giggling once they were out of Kevin’s earshot.

  “I have no idea what you mean Lauren,” Jim said smiling. “I have every intention of checking out his band. In fact, I’m sure that they totally rock!” Then, for emphasis, he mocked a little air guitar, almost dropping his snow cone on the sand.

  Pam covered her mouth and laughed. She was having such a good time. Pretending to be someone else must agree with me, she thought wryly.

  Then on impulse, she grabbed Jim’s free hand and pulled him toward her, planting a gentle kiss on his cheek. Up close, he smelled like sun screen and sweat, but warm, sexy, and definitely male. It filled her, made her dizzy, and she lingered a little with the kiss. Taking a step back, she touched her tongue to her lips, tasting the salt of his skin.

  Jim felt her light kiss feather across his cheek. Her lips felt hot and smooth on his face, and it sent a shock wave of heat straight down into his stomach.

  Jesus, she’s beautiful, he thought looking down at her. He gripped her hand tightly, rubbing his thumb across her palm.

  “What did I do to deserve that?” he asked her, his eyes dark with desire. “Tell me quickly, so I can do it again.”

  Pam smiled, and gripped his hand back. She liked how her hand felt in his. “That’s for the snow cone.”

  “Hmm,” He said. “Let me get this straight. If I buy you stuff, you kiss me? Wow! That’s a pretty great trade if you ask me.”

  Pam pulled her hand away and playfully punched at his arm. “Are you insinuating that I’m for sale?” she asked in mock horror, clutching her palm to her chest.

  Before he could answer, Michelle and Ryan came up behind them. Ryan was gripping her waist and leaning over her shoulder as he stood behind her. She was smiling, and she leaned back into him.

  “Hey Lauren,” Ryan said. “Settle an argument, will ya? Does Niki have a tattoo? Because she told me she does, but she won’t show it to me. Which I think is completely unfair of her.”

  Michelle giggled and put her finger over her lips. In effect, telling Pam to be quiet. Pam took the hint and just shrugged her shoulders sweetly at Ryan.

  The fact was if Michelle had a tattoo her parents would skin her alive but Pam played along anyway. “I don’t know, Ryan. That’s classified information, and I don’t believe you have been given clearance.”

  “See?” Michelle said turning her head towards Ryan. “I told you she wouldn’t rat me out.”

  “Well,” he said. “I’ll just have to figure out a way to convince you.” Leaning in close, he kissed Michelle on the lips.

  Pam and Jim exchanged uncomfortable looks. Michelle was definitely getting in too deep this time, she thought as she watched her friend eagerly return Ryan’s kiss. But am I getting in too deep? 

  Grabbing Michelle’s hand, she pulled her away from Ryan. “Sorry, I need to talk to Niki,” she said as she tugged her friend out of their ear shot 

“What are you doing?” Pam hissed.

  “What do you mean? I’m having fun. Ryan is hot and I like him,” Michelle said, haughtily tossing her hair over her shoulder.

  “Well, that’s obvious,” Pam said crossing her arms across her chest. “Don’t you think you’re moving a little too fast? You just met the guy, and you two are all over each other already. He doesn’t even know your real name.”

  “Ha!” Michelle said. “Look who’s talking! Have you told Jim your real name yet? Is that what you were whispering when I saw you kiss him? Don’t go acting all innocent on me.”

  It was crowded where they were standing, and a few people had stopped to watch them argue. Pam felt her cheeks burn, and said nothing. She’s right, her inner voice warned. You’re playing pretend too, remember?

  Embarrassed, and not willing to back down, Pam spit out at her, “Well, you look like a slut.” As soon as the words were out of her mouth, Pam wished she could snatch them back.

  Michelle’s eyes went wide with shock. Then her eyelids narrowed in fury, and she clenched her hands at her side. She shot back, “That’s fucked up Pam, even for you!”

  “You’re right,” Pam said hurriedly, hating herself for saying something so mean to her friend. “I’m sorry.”

  But Michelle ignored her, turned away, and stomped back to the guys. Pam watched her say something to Ryan and they both looked back at her. Then she saw Ryan say something to Jim, and he and Michelle walked off together, leaving Jim standing there.

  Shit! Pam felt like a jerk. What the hell am I doing?

  Jim walked over towards her. He was looking down, with his hands stuffed firmly in his pockets again.

  “You ok?’ he asked hesitantly.

  “Yeah, I guess,” Pam replied with a catch in her voice, tracing a line in the sand with her toe.  “Sorry about that. Quite a scene, huh?”

  Jim smiled and put his hand on her shoulder. “No worries. Come on. Let’s go check out some of the other booths.”

  Pam hesitated. Maybe she should just tell Jim the truth, call her mom and get the hell out of there. What a mess she had made! The afternoon had started out so great, but now she just felt like an ass.

  Sensing her uncertainty, Jim grabbed her hand again and steered her towards the ring toss game. “Niki will be alright. Let her cool off a little, then we’ll go find them, and you guys can talk, ok?”

  Pam looked up at him. He hadn’t even asked what had happened. Maybe it was obvious, but she was still grateful he hadn’t pressed for details. She didn’t think she could manage a plausible lie at the moment.

  “Come on now, let’s go toss some rings! It’ll cheer you up,” he said hopefully.

  “Ok,” Pam replied quietly, and gave his hand a little squeeze. “Thanks.” He smiled down at her, and her heart gave a little lurch.

   Standing in the line waiting for their turn, they continued on with their sarcastic banter. People watching at this event turned out to be all the fuel they needed. Oddities seemed to just happen across their path today, and what fun would that be if they didn’t comment on it? The stifled giggles between them were quickly escalating until finally the guy in front of them said something.

  “Do you mind?” the bespeckled boy asked them.

  “Mind what?” Jim replied smirking. Pam, trying to suppress a laugh, turned her head away.

  “I’m trying to concentrate. This isn’t a joke you know,” the boy said seriously.

  With effort, Jim put on his best serious face. Pam looking at him with awe, stifled her giggles.

  “No, no, it’s not. You’re right. Sorry man,” Jim said with a straight expression. “If you don’t mind me asking, what are you concentrating on?”

  The odd boy smirked at him. “The ring toss game. It’s not a game of chance you know. It takes skill and concentration to master it. Fortunately, I have both of those qualities.”

  Pam bit her lip to keep from laughing. This kid was unbelievable. He was dressed in an outfit that her grandfather would probably consider outdated. His thick black rimmed glasses were a direct contrast to his pasty, moon-shaped face. Still, if Jim could hold it together and talk to this guy, so could she…

  Pam cleared her throat. “If you don’t mind me asking, how does a person gain such skill in ring toss?” She smiled sweetly at the boy.

  He shifted his gaze towards Pam, and pushed his glasses up further on the bridge of his nose. His expression remained grim. “Every summer, my cousin Mose and I make it our business to attend all the local events. Lucky for us, most of these events have the ring toss game. “

  Then he flashed her a maniacal little smile. “You can’t expect to be good at something unless you make it your business to practice now can you?”

  Pam stammered, “Oh no, no. I guess you can’t.” Then she looked over at Jim, her eyes wide, trying to hold it together.

  Jim shrugged, and looked from the boy to Pam. “Makes sense to me. How about you, Lauren? Does it make sense to you too?”

  Pam looked down to keep from laughing. “Yeah, that’s probably right”, she managed to blurt out.

  The odd boy turned back around while Pam and Jim mocked him silently behind his back. Then Jim reached out and touched his shoulder. “Well, good luck buddy. We’ll be rooting for you.”

  The boy turned back, eyes blazing. “My name is not buddy. My name is Dwight Schrute, and I don’t need luck. I have skill, and that is infinitely better.”

  “Right man, I forgot. Sorry.” Jim said, tears of laughter burning in his eyes. Then, he caught Pam’s expression and just lost it. The two of them were almost doubled over trying to control their mirth.

  Dwight just shook his head and turned back. “Idiots,” he murmured.

  
Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for reading!

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans