- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Thanks to sharky for the beta! This chapter adds two more Dunder-Mifflinites to the story.

Chapter 4 – Taking Root

  

After watching odd-boy Dwight play a very successful game of ring toss, it was now Jim’s turn.

 “Well,” he said as he exhaled a long breath. “Now, I’m nervous. Having you next to me, it’s so hard to concentrate on my ring toss game. I doubt I will be bringing my A-game today.”

  “Oh sure,” Pam countered, grinning up at him. “Blame it on me.”

  Jim only shrugged, and leaned in to whisper to her again. “Maybe you’ll be a good luck charm.”

  Pam closed her eyes and felt the pull of his nearness. With all their joking around, and then the horrible argument with Michelle, she had almost thought she had imagined the intense attraction between them.

  Now looking up at him, she knew there was no denying it. She felt nervous, unsure, and powerful all at once. What the hell are you doing? This is supposed to be just for fun. He doesn’t even know your real name!

  Jim looked at her and could see the uncertainty in her eyes. He pursed his lips as she looked away. He knew she was upset about her friend Niki, but he felt there was something else bothering her. Maybe I am annoying her, he thought.

  He knew she had relaxed when he was making jokes. Her beautiful face split into a wide grin and her eyes danced with laughter. It made him feel strong, but when she looked up at him with those gorgeous eyes she made him feel weak.

  And to think, he said, chuckling to himself, I wasn’t even going to come today. Looking for a wing-man, his friend had begged him. “Come on, Halpert. There will be tons of hot chicks there.”

  Jim’s eyes raked over Pam. He had definitely found himself a hot chick. And, she’s hanging out with me, he thought smugly.

  It just wasn’t his luck to meet cool pretty girls like Lauren. Those types of girls usually went for the meat-head guys, the jerks. Guys like him never really had a shot.

  She’s out of your league Halpert, but she’s here now, isn’t she? he thought, and feeling a little possessive grabbed Pam’s hand.

    Jim signaled to the short, pretty blond student handing out the rings. “Hi, how many rings do you have to land to win that?” he smiled and pointed to a large purple stuffed cat pinned, amongst many other bright stuffed animals, to a post.

  The blond did not smile back. Her hair, neat as a pin, was pulled back in a severe pony-tail. She was wearing a light blue S.A.D.D. t-shirt with a name tag that read: Volunteer - Angela. Rolling her eyes, she pointed to a small sign tacked up behind her.

  “The rules are clearly posted here,” she said barely concealing her disgust.

  Pam glanced at Jim, the look she gave him clearly said I’ve got this one.  She jumped in. “Sorry, my friend Jim here has some trouble seeing. I’m here today to help guide him around. I’ll just read that for you, Jim,” Pam said slowly and loudly, as if Jim not only had trouble seeing, but was slow too. Nice! Jim pretended to strain his eyes towards the sign.

  The blond’s expression did not change with this new information, and she continued to glare at the couple. Obviously, pity was not an emotion she felt comfortable with. Fumbling in his pocket, Jim pulled out a few dollars and handed it to Pam.

  Pam looked the money over and said loudly to Jim, “Good, Jim. That’s a $5 bill.”

  Then, she smiled sweetly at Angela and handed her the bill. “He’ll just play $5 please.” Angela wordlessly took the money and handed Jim the rings.

  Pam continued in her loud voice. “Ok, Jim, the milk jugs are all in rows. Just aim towards 2 o’clock and you’ll do fine.” Jim squinted hard and pretended to aim in the opposite direction.

  “No, no, Jim,” Pam said, gently guiding his hand in the right direction. “Throw that way.”

  Jim nodded, squinted again for Angela’s benefit, and started tossing the rings. The first two weren’t even close. The next three landed their mark. Pam clapped her hands in genuine excitement as Jim grinned down at her.

  “Does he win anything?” Pam asked Angela.

  “Three rings win you a stuffed animal,” Angela said her face a dour mask.

  “Awesome!” Jim said, and then turned towards Pam. “Which one do you want?” he asked.

  Before Pam could answer, Angela cut in. “Not those stuffed animals. They’re only for people who land all 5 rings.”

   Leaning down below the counter, she emerged with a large cardboard box filled with much smaller stuffed animals. “You may choose on of these,” she said smugly.

  Pam dug her hand into the box and pulled out a small pink pig. Showing it to Jim, she pulled it in close to her chest, leaned down and gave it a loving kiss.

  Making a noise of disgust, Angela roughly pulled the box from the counter and shoved it back into place. Standing on her tippy-toes to look over them, she called out to the person behind them, “Next!”

  Pam felt a gentle hand on her shoulder. She turned around and saw a large woman in her thirties with short curly hair, and a kind, round face. A cloud of floral perfume surrounded her.

  “Do you need any help with your friend, Miss?” The woman said motioning shyly towards Jim. How sad! This person obviously thought Jim really did have a problem.

  “Oh, no” Pam said, feeling a little guilty. “But thank you so much anyway. It’s so nice to know that there are still kind, compassionate people left in this world.” Then she shot a haughty look in Angela’s direction. Angela snorted and pursed her lips together.

  “You’re so kind to ask, but we’ll be just fine. Thanks again, uh….?”

  “Phyllis,” she said.

  Then she turned toward Jim and spoke loudly. “Good luck to you, young man.” Wordlessly, Jim shook her hand. Then, he and Pam walked away, leaving kindly Phyllis to her ring toss game.

  
Chapter End Notes:
Thanks for reading!

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans