- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

A big moment in the grocery store.

 

I can't wait another minute, baby
To do the things that we've never done
Everybody gets hungry some time
Your love is like a kettle on

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Pam looks in the grocery cart and sees the package of Depends that she knows for sure she did not put there. She looks at Jim.

"What?"

"Depends, Jim?"

"Remember the other night when you said I made you laugh so hard you almost peed your pants?"

"Put them back, please." 

"I'm just thinking of you, Beesly."

"You're very thoughtful, yes."

He walks ahead of her down the aisle.

"Honey, do we have enough condoms?"

"Ssshhh! God, Jim! What's the matter with you?"

"Nothing's the matter with me. Just this morning you told me I was perfect!"

Pam walks straight past him, shaking her head. An elderly woman in the same aisle pretends to check out the arthritis remedies, but she's eavesdropping with a wistful smile on her face.

"How's the laxative supply, hon? You know how cranky you get when..."

"JIM!"

Pam's at the end of the aisle giving him her best death glare. She motions with her head that he should follow her and keep quiet.

Jim makes eye contact with their elderly eavesdropper, shrugs and gives her his best, "I'll never figure women out!" face. She laughs.

"Your wife is darling, young man. You seem very happy."

"Oh, she's not..."

"It's the laughter I miss the most since I lost my husband. He was a rascal, just like you. Enjoy every single moment."

She puts her hand on his arm and gives him a little squeeze.

She's on her way down the aisle before Jim can even move his feet. When he catches up with her, he asks, "how long were you married?"

"Fifty-seven glorious years."

"Wow."

"Oh, don't get me wrong, it wasn't all sunshine and roses, but he made even the bad times bearable because he made me laugh."

"Yeah. That's great."

"How long have you and your wife been married?"

"Oh, we're not married."

"You're not? Could've fooled me! Well, what are you waiting for?"

"I..I don't know!"

"I know all old people say this, dear, but your life goes by in a flash. You don't want to waste one minute of it."

"Okay."

She pats his arm and says goodbye.

Jim stands in the middle of the aisle, silent and a little stunned. What is he waiting for? He loves her more than he thought he possibly could. Even when he's teasing her and trying to wind her up and she acts annoyed with him, he knows she loves him. They've been together about nine months now and it just keeps growing and deepening and he's already loved her for so long that he knows beyond any doubt that this is it. She's it for him and that's all there is.

He walks quickly to the front of the store where the soda and gumball machines are. He walks past the instant lottery machines and the newspaper stand. He's digging around in his pocket for a quarter and he finds the machine he wants. He takes a deep breath and slips the quarter in the slot and turns the handle.

When he finds Pam, she's in the frozen food section, trying to decide on ice cream.

"Hey."

"Hey. I thought you got lost and you might be crying in the cereal aisle, looking for me."

"No, I didn't get lost."

"Good. What'll it be? Rocky Road or plain old chocolate?"

"What?"

"Ice cream, Jim. Which flavor?"

"Oh. I don't care. Whatever you want. Get both."

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing, I'm fine. I'm good."

"You sure?"

"Pam, you love me, right?"

"Yeah, of course! Are you okay? Did something happen?"

"No. Well, yeah. But that's not important now. I'll tell you later."

"Okay."

Pam turns to the freezer to get the ice cream and when she turns back to the cart, she's shocked to see Jim on his knees.

"Jim! What...?"

"Pam, I love you...and I don't know what I've been waiting for but I can't love you any more than I already do. I don't ever want this to end. I want to get married...I want to marry you."

He's got both her hands in his and frees one hand to reach into his pocket and pull out a plastic gold ring with a huge plastic diamond and slips it on her finger.

"Please say yes. I spent a whole quarter on this thing."

Her tears fall as quickly as her laughter comes tumbling out over him and she reaches down to put her arms around his neck and she kisses him, saying "yes...yes...yes...you big....dork! Oh, I love you so much."

Jim stands and wraps his arms around her, lifts her up so they're eye-to-eye.

"Pam, I want it to be like this, always."

"Even when we're old and grey?"

"Especially then."

She has his face in her hands and she's kissing him over and over.

When he finally sets her down, she looks at her ring.

"It's beautiful. You must have looked for this for a long time."

"Oh, you have no idea, Pam."

She giggles. "We're going to get married!"

"Absolutely, we are."

"Let's get out of here!"

"Okay."

They wait in line at the checkout, beaming at each other. Jim sees his elderly lady friend in the next lane. He takes hold of Pam's hand and walks her over to the woman. He holds up Pam's hand, and says, "I'm not waiting any more. Thank you."

She looks surprised, then laughs, approvingly. She looks at Pam.

"Honey, you've got your hands full with that one!"

"Oh, I know!"

"Much happiness to you both, my dears."

"And laughter," Jim says.

"Oh, yes. Much laughter."

Chapter End Notes:
Thank you to all of you who keep reading and indulging me. 

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans