- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Disclaimer: All publicly recognizable characters, settings, etc. are the property of their respective owners. The original characters and plot are the property of the author. The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise. No copyright infringement is intended.

He didn't realize there were so many different kinds of vaginal creams. And he didn't realize how disturbing it was that vaginal cream was surrounding him right now, well that, and extra absorbant maxi pads. No, what was really, really scary was the fact that he was in this aisle at all. He tensed as an older woman walked past him, glaring at his presence in the sacred aisle.

He felt dirty suddenly.

Clearing his throat, Jim shuffled his feet and shoved his hands in his pockets. He felt claustrophic, like he was being buried alive. "Um, aren't they all, like the same?"

She turned to him, her brow furrowed and her lips pursed. Of course not, ditz...they were all different, they had different ways of telling you your life was no longer one of youth and freedom.

"There's so many. This one you pee on the stick but this one you pee in a cup."

"Sounds messy." It was the only thing he could think to say. Only time he had to pee in a cup was for his physical before basketball season...and that experience was quite messy.

"I'm going to get the twin pack."

"Why would you need two? Is there a re-do or something?"

Pam looked down and frowned. "Its just in case."

"In case what?" he asked. Deep down he figured he was being an ass, they hadn't grasp what was happening yet and part of him was rebelling against it. "That's like, fifteen dollars."

"Yeah, and?" she hissed a bit, and it kind of stung him. She was in this too. She was scared too.

"Does it do the same thing as that eight dollar one over there?"

She gave him another stern look. He decided he was not educated enough to give imput in this decision and his only role was to pay for it.

Her fingers gripped the box and she took a deep breath and spun around completely to look at him, her eyes searching his face. He tried to give one of his patented looks, but the humor fell flat. This wasn't funny.

"Okay."

"Ready?"

Pam nodded and they walked silently side by side to the register.  He didn't know what to say; it was only a few months ago they had started dating, and shortly after that,  they started doing that thing where they were staying together long after the dates had ended. The thing that required no clothes. He was sure they had been so careful, at least he had tried to, but truthfully it was hard. And in all seriousness, that IS what she said.

He was sure there were a few nights where they had just given into the moment and sought out each other, years of denial and distance can do that to you. You just collide, consequences be damned. But now, they were reeling from the results of their actions, the uncertainty of their future...on their 30 minute lunch break.

He swiped his debit card and the cashier smiled and handed Pam the bag. "Congrats."

Pam looked shocked for a moment and stammered, "T-thanks."

They walked out of the store quietly and Jim pulled out his keys as Pam walked to the passenger side. Both of them were kind of in this drug induced fog. He didn't know what she was thinking but he was wondering what the hell just happened. Was he ready for this? Did he want this?

He knew he wanted Pam, he knew he had to have her, and he was glad to finally have that chance but seriously they just came together. Was he expected to deal with this?

But he wasn't a kid. He was damn near thirty and he knew how babies were made, hell if he thought about it, he was an expert at the practice shots. But was he seriously ready to become a father? Was Pam ready to have his child? Could he support his child on the pennies and nickels salary of an Assistant Regional Manager of a midsized regional paper company?

Could he provide for Pam?

"Jim?"

He looked over to her, and then glanced back to the road, wondering when he started driving and how he was suddenly turning into the parking lot of Dunder Mifflin.

"Want me to take it when we get in the office or wait until I get home?"

He looked at Pam, really looked at her. Her face was serious, her lips with a touch of blush lipgloss on them and her cheeks were red. Her hair was pulled back in that same damned style by that same damned barrette and she worn a dull gray cardigan over a dull striped shirt.

All he could think was that she was so beautiful at the moment. He then realized whatever the situation, whatever he had to do; rob, steal, cheat, or take Dwight's client list, he would take care of her.

"We need to know."

"Yeah," she replied, pulling out the box. "Best read the instructions now. So no one hears me fumbling with them in the bathroom. Kelly spends alot of time in the bathroom these days."

Jim licked his dry lips and cleared his equally dry throat as she handed him the box. "Early Pregnancy Test, over 99.9% effective. Well, that's comforting...take off plastic cap and insert tip into stream of urine. Replace cap and then wait two to five minutes for results. Cross means positive, one line means negative."

"Cross?"

"Yeah this symbol right here. It's a cross. Which is perfect, because this usually brings people back to their religious nature."

"A cross?"

Jim flipped over the box. "All I see is a cross."

"Give it here. What are you talkin- that is a plus sign."

"Oh." He didn't even have the heart to laugh.

They were both quiet and Jim watched her nervously bite her lip. "Hey."

She looked over to him and her eyes were on the verge of tears.

"It'll be okay. Whatever it says, it'll be okay. We'll be fine."

"Ten years and I never even had a scare. Now, I'm scared to death," she said in a whisper.

"We'll get through it. This is perfect. I mean, we can go get married in Vegas and no one will know the wiser. We'll tell them we planned it perfectly."

Pam gave him a sympathetic look. "Shutup Jim."

"Okay. But hey, however this turns out...I'm happy. Are you happy?"

She nodded and tears spilled down her cheeks.

He reached out and grabbed her hand, lifting it to his lips and kissing it softly.

"We're okay, we're going to be okay."

She laughed and wiped her eyes. "I don't believe you...continue."

They entered the building and split at the door, Pam walking straight towards the woman's bathroom and Jim walking back to his desk. He sat down in a slump and Dwight shot a glare at him.

"You're five minutes over your required thirty minute lunch schedule. I have taken the liberty of reporting you and Pam to Michael."

Jim didn't respond, he just clicked the tip of his pen nervously as he waited for Pam to emerge. Dwight was like a gnat, unable to shake him right now.

"Can you stop doing that?" Dwight sneered.

Jim stopped and glared at him. A big annoying gnat. "Leave me alone."

"You are obviously distracted by something. And it's distracting me, therefore, a condusive work experience is destroyed."

Jim frowned and started clicking the tip of the pen again, except it was  faster than before and with more vigor.

Seconds seemed like hours and minutes seemed like days.  Was she able to pee on the stick? Maybe he should have stopped and gotten her a Big Gulp.

He looked out the corner of his eye to see Pam emerge out of the bathroom but of course Michael came out of his office at that exact moment. "Jimbo?"

No...this can not be happening. I need to talk to Pam. Act as if you don't hear him and he will go away....

"Jim?"

Ignoring.

"James?"

Ugh...

"Jim? You okay there buddy?" He turned and Michael was a nose hair away from his face. Jim jumped back in his chair.

"Agh....jesus, Michael. Space, respect personal space. What? Sorry, I was..."

"He's been distracted all day Michael. Loss in productivity means-"

"Oh shut it, Dwight. Jim, can I see you in my office?"

Jim pursed his lips in a thin line and his eyes caught Pam making her way to her desk. He tried to read her face but it showed no emotion.

"I kinda have a sales call-"

"It's important. You're my number two!"

"O-okay. Fine. Let's go." Jim replied, catching Pam's eye as she sat at her desk but it revealed nothing. He followed Michael in.

"What's so urgent?"

"My bachelor party."

Jim placed his hand over his mouth and sighed. "Michael, you haven't even proposed to Jan yet."

"Even more reason to start planning. Incentive."

Jim shook his head. "You have to propose first. You can't plan a wedding or a bachelor party before you get engaged."

"Sure you can. The bachelor party part at least. The wedding stuff..yuck. Ick, let the women do it."

"I-why can't Kevin do it?"

"Because he'll invite Toby," Michael grimaced.

"So would I."

"Ugh look.... just I've written out three venues that are perfect for a bachelor party."

Jim grabbed the paper and read over it."Michael, Chucky Cheese?"

"Everyone loves Chucky Cheese!"

Jim just nodded and decided if he stayed quiet, Michael might free him. It worked. The irony of a Chucky Cheese party. Would he and Pam be visiting Chucky Cheese often? He walked out, closing the office door quietly behind him and looked over at reception. Pam was gone. Angela was at the fax, her face in a stern questioning look.

"She left. She said an aunt died. I am skeptical," she paused and gave one her her patent glares. "I was under the impression her mother was the only child."

Jim just stared back, not knowing why Pam would leave without telling him. "Thanks."

He walked to his desk to find a sticky note stuck to his monitor. "Think POSITIVE. I know  I'm trying to."

Oh god, Pam. He wanted to get to her, to talk to her, to figure this out.

He gulped audibly and Dwight shifted towards him as if he was annoyed.

"Don't even think of acting sick to play hooky with your girlfirend," Dwight sneered. "I'm watching you. From now on, I'm watching your every move. Time to make some changes around here. Get ready to have your world flipped, Jim Halpert."

Jim simply nodded at Dwight, the sticky note clutched in his hand. "You have NO idea, Dwight. None."

 


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans