- Text Size +
Why does it always have to be melodrama with them? First, it was the whole telling her he loved her and then leaving. Then she did the coal walk. Then he broke up with Karen in New York just to ask Pam out on a date.

Why can't we find a nice, calm level for our relationship?

Of course, he thought this as he was sitting in his car outside her apartment with a bouquet of flowers in his hand. As he walked up to her door, he once again started to think this was a bad idea. Then he knocked and realized that he no longer had a chance to back out now.

She opened the door wearing a white t-shirt, pajama pants, and her hair in a bun. Jim immediately noticed the look of shock on her face. "Um...hi," she said, a bit apprehensive.

Despite her disheveled look, Jim still thought she was gorgeous. Then he realized her pajamas had the Dunder Mifflin logo all over them. "Cute pants," he replied.

She looked down and started making a flustered excuse. "Oh...um...I got them last summer when Michael decided to have a pajama party at the office."

"A what?"

"Pajama party. Angela thought it was inappropriate, but as head of the Party Planning Committee, she had to buy the pants," she said, giving him an embarrassed smile.

Jim started laughing. "I'm sorry I missed that."

"Me, too," she said. "Um...do you want to come in?"

"Oh, yeah," he said, handing her the flowers.

She closed the door behind him and the two of them stood still in the foyer of her apartment. "I'm just going to put these in water," she told him, and he took it as a cue to follow her.

"So is this the area you're clearing away for your art stuff?" he asked as he stood in a corner of her living room.

"Yeah," she said, walking over to grab a vase from her bookshelf. "What do you think?"

"It'll be great."

She smiled back at him and walked into the kitchen. "So what's up?"

"Nothing," he said, trying to sound casual.

"Oh," she replied. "Um...so you just stopped by to give me some flowers? I mean...not that I mind because I totally..."

"Let's go out," he blurted, his confidence finally coming back to him.

"What?"

"I know I should have asked you when we were at work, but I didn't and I'm sorry so I'm asking you now to go to dinner with me."

"Tonight?" she asked.

"Yeah, right now. You know, unless you already ate or some..."

"I would love to," she replied, smiling over at him.

"OK. So um...how about you go get changed and I'll take care of these?" he said, taking the flowers and vase from her hands.

"Um...OK," she stammered. "I'll be right back."

"OK." He didn't mean for it to, but his response came out much more eager than he wanted it to. He watched her walk down the hall, then took a deep breath to calm him nerves before taking care of her flowers.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans