- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

The other morning I woke up with this almost completely formed.  I love it when that happens - so much less active required on my part.  Thank you for reading.


All publicly recognizable characters are the property of their respective owners.  original characters and plot are the property of the author.  The author is in no way associated with the owners, creators, or producers of any media franchise.  No copyright infringement is intended.

A sudden, prescient vision of his future ran him down, coincidentally, the day the camera crew arrived.

Dwight had destroyed another of his sales. He was sitting at his desk, pondering ways to get back at Dwight when the noise from her desk distracted him, the distinctive grinding fading to whirring of an electric pencil sharpener.

She brought over handfuls of freshly sharpened pencils and started taping them to his phone. Her eyes were narrowed, and the corner of her lower lip was being actively gnawed. Her bangs had slipped down her forehead to mingle with her lashes and they twitched infinitesimally with every blink. He was charmed, utterly.

She was so focused, so intent and she muttered to herself. He only caught a few words, but they were words about Dwight and interrupting sales calls and inappropriate behavior and "unmitigated nerve," he remembered that distinctly because she manage to infuse those two words with vehemence while still speaking under her breath.

He began fitting pencils between the two desks and his heart stuttered when she smiled and winked.

She described it as "necessary retaliatory action" to keep Dwight from "misappropriating" more clients. He couldn't help but notice that she didn't take steps to arm Stanley or Phyllis against encroaching insurgence.

She stepped back to admire their creation and labeled it an unrivaled success. It entered his mind that it looked like they were waging battle against tiny vampires.

When she left his desk, she rested her hand briefly on his shoulder and squeezed. It was an act she had performed hundreds of times, but this time he knew exactly how many seconds her fingers lingered. After she walked away, the warmth of her hand procrastinated fleeing his shoulder and throughout the day, he swore he would catch whiffs of her scent teasing him from the vicinity of that faded hand print.

During one of the many times he turned to look at her that day, she was on the phone speaking in an exaggeratedly calm voice that basically screamed angry customer. In the midst of her soothing she sent him a long-suffering look and rolled her eyes then wrinkled her nose and grinned at him.

He felt an unbelievable lightness in his chest and stomach and smiled at her, all joy. Then, it hit him: she was the most amazing, wonderful, awesome person he had ever met in his entire life and WHAM!, the prescient vision. He was on his way to falling deeply in love with the receptionist.

It occurred to him that it was a very old cliche, but he decided he wasn't that concerned about originality.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans