- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Yes, I realize Christmas has long since passed, and I apologize for the delay.  I actually wrote this back then and forgot to post it.  My bad.  There should be one more short chapter after this.

Angela runs past Andy and up the stairs, while Dwight stays put for a moment.

"What the hell just happened?" Andy demands, angrily.

Dwight shakes his head.  "Not now, Andy."  He makes a motion to follow Angela up the stairs but Andy blocks his path.

"Um, yes.  Now," he says, staring Dwight in the eye.

Dwight pushes past him and heads up the stairs anyway.

When Angela enters the office everyone is back in the conference room, looking out the window.

"Attention, everyone," Angela says.  They all look around at her.  "The parking lot is impassable, so I don't think any of us are going anywhere tonight."

"Yeah, we figured as much," says Toby.

Dwight appears behind Angela, looking at her expectantly.  She says nothing, but a few seconds later Andy comes roaring in, and gets up in Dwight's face, yelling, "What the hell?  I thought you were my friend, and here you are making the moves on my girl right in front of me!"

Simultaneously, everyone's jaws drop as they stare at Angela, Dwight and Andy, who then turns to Angela and says, "And you!  Why did you kiss him?"

Dwight, usually not at a loss for words, can't seem to think of the right reply at the moment.  Angela just looks petrified.

Suddenly Pam speaks up.  "Andy, Angela is obviously drunk," she offers.  "I'm sure it was an accident."  Jim nods, and adds, "It happens all the time."  Jim and Pam nod at each other encouragingly, but everyone else just looks confused and/or disgusted.

But Andy isn't listening and his anger is starting to bubble over.  "Say something!" he yelps out.

Angela takes a deep breath and replies, "It wasn't an accident."  She looks up at Dwight.  "Dwight and I... we've been... involved.  For two years now.  Or at least until he killed my cat a few months ago."

A collective gasp escapes from the lungs of the onlookers.  Even Michael is speechless.  Jim and Pam exchange an "oops!" look with one another.  Andy is stricken.  His expression alternates between utter shock and pure rage.  He balls his fist up and for a second looks like he's going to punch Dwight, or the wall.  Or something.

~
Kevin:  That is so... weird.  Angela and Dwight are the last two people I would expect to be hooking up.  Angela and Oscar would have made more sense.  Or Dwight and Oscar.
~
Oscar:  I guess it makes sense in some kind of bizarro universe way, in the same way that Michael and Jan are now living together.
~
Michael:  That's just gross.  Blech.  Yuck.
~
Jim:  Well, the cat's out of the bag.
Pam: Probably literally.
Jim:  Wow.

~

Instead, Andy turns and literally runs from the conference room, to the kitchen, and into the men's room.  Meanwhile, Dwight and Angela are gazing into each other's eyes.

"You didn't have to - "

She cuts him off with a sharp, "Not. Here." and beckons him to follow her.  She leads him out of the office and toward the hallway, leaving their co-workers murmuring amongst themselves about the scene they had just witnessed.

Pam looks up at Jim and whispers, "You should go talk to Andy."

"What?  Are you insane?  You saw that guy punch a hole in the wall.  Do you want him to do the same thing to my chest?  My reflexes aren't exactly stellar at the moment, and I'm not sure where Dwight keeps his pepper spray anymore."

She stares, thoughtfully, off toward the kitchen, and mumbles, "Yeah, you're probably right..."  She then quickly turns to Michael.  "Michael, you're his boss.  You should go make sure Andy's okay."

Michael looks like a deer caught in headlights.  "Um, okay."  He swallows hard, and starts toward the kitchen, but falters.

~
Michael:  Here's the thing.  I have this unexplained phobia.  About being punched in the throat.
~


Jim sighs and heads to the men's room.  When he walks in Andy is standing over the sink, his head down.  He sees Jim and quickly stands upright, wiping his eyes.

"Were you... crying?" Jim asks.

"What?  No," Andy replies, attempting nonchalance.

"So you okay, man?"

Andy doesn't answer right away, but then his face screws up and he bursts into tears, reaching to Jim for a hug.  Jim reluctantly and uncomfortably accepts.

"I thought she was the one!" Andy wails.

Jim doesn't know how to respond, so he doesn't.

"How could she do this to me?"  More sobs.

Sighing heavily, Jim says, "Dude, you were a rebound.  It happens.  It sucks, but it happens."  Andy pulls away and stares at him.  Jim shifts uncomfortably.

Meanwhile, Angela and Dwight are in the hallway, embracing.  Dwight smiles into her hair and whispers, "I missed you, Monkey."

"Me too," Angela replies, and they hold each other close.


ExtremelyGruntled is the author of 20 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 12 members. Members who liked Are you going to let Al Roker tell you what to do? also liked 2006 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans