- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Sorry for the delay. I seemed to have caught whatever has been going around lately. This chapter kind of got away from me in content and length. Hopefully that is a good thing in the end ;)

 

“Jim Halpert.”

 

“I’m so horny.”

 

Jim sat up straight in his chair before turning to stare at Andy, who was facing the opposite direction with the phone pressed to his ear, as though he hadn’t just said something completely disturbing.

 

“Okay…I can’t help you…with that.”

 

“Oh, I think you can, Big Tuna.” Andy then swiveled around to face Jim, his eyebrows raised in anticipation. “Tell me about that Indian chick. Kelly? She seems pretty slutty, good for a romp in the sack.”

 

“She is dating Ryan, I think.”

 

“Oh. And. I. Care. Why?”

 

“She’s high maintenance.”

 

“Neeext. How ‘bout…”

 

Jim followed Andy’s line of vision as he watched Meredith stroll by. “Listen, Andy. I’m really swamped over here so-“

 

“How about…” His voice disappeared and Jim looked over once more to see him mouthing the name ‘Angela’. “Blondes are more fun. Come on, trust me on that.”

 

“Yeah. Trust me. That would be fun for no one.”

 

“Okay fine.”

“Okay.” Jim started to put the phone down when he heard Andy say her name.

 

“Pam. What about Pam, the receptionist?”

 

Jim cleared his throat, his brain starting to slowly activate with ideas and schemes. He fought back the smirk forming on his lips and forced himself to be an adult, for once. “Uh, she’s married.”

 

Andy snorted. “Says who? There is no ring on that finger, my friend. Trust me, I checked.”

 

Jim blinked. She took off her ring?

 

“So what do you think, man? Do you think I should go for it?”

 

Jim spun slowly around in his chair, catching Pam’s eye. She shot him a small smile, almost private, one meant just for him. He grinned in return, then turned back to his conversation with Andy.

 

“Absolutely I do.”

 

***

 

It had been close to a week since they had last spoken, really spoken, but Pam couldn’t complain. That afternoon in the coffee shop had been enough to tide her over for awhile. She could survive on the little moments in between, like his warm ‘Good morning, Beesly’ every day when he arrived or sharing a bemused look when Michael offended another newcomer. Even the simple way he smiled at her just now was enough to last her through til the weekend.

 

But she still missed him. She missed eating lunch with him and the gentle way he helped her into her coat or all the times he’d held the elevator for her so they could ride down together at the end of the afternoon. She knew it had to be different. He wasn’t hers any longer. He never really was, she supposed, trying to ignore the feelings of regret that came over her.

 

A shadow came over her desk and she glanced up, allowing herself the luxury of taking in long fingers, rolled up sleeves, his granddad’s old tie and a lopsided grin that made her knees weak. “Hey.”

 

 “Hey yourself.”

 

Pam wanted to stare into his eyes and know exactly what he wanted, whether it be to conspire for a prank, to snag a jellybean, or to simply waste the time. It was an old game she played, to try and see how well she still knew him. Sometimes the wall was firmly in place and she couldn’t figure out anything behind his words, but sometimes…he was an open book, ready to let her back in. Today was one of those days. His expression was devious, the one he sported as he went in for the kill against Dwight. She wondered what he was planning and allowed herself to enjoy the ripple of delight that snaked through her system.

 

“What’s up?”

 

Jim didn’t answer. His eyes drifted lower and lower until they came to a stop on her hand. Her bare hand.

 

Pam looked down with confusion until she saw it. “Oh! You’re not supposed to see that yet!”

 

Jim swallowed audibly. “I wasn’t?”

 

Pam kept her hands busy as she rustled a red folder into her purse, but then gave up. “Of course not,” she exclaimed. “It was your Christmas present. It’s supposed to be a surprise.”

 

She watched as his cheeks filled in a delicate shade of pink. He was so adorable when he was flustered. She loved to fluster him.

 

“I don’t…I don’t understand. Wh-Why?”

 

Pam laughed. “Why? Because it’s Christmas.” Her face fell unexpectedly and he missed the glow of her happiness instantly. “Should I not have?”

 

He licked his lips. “Um…It’s just…”

 

“Look, it’s not a big deal. If you don’t want me to-“

 

“No, that’s not it. I just don’t understand what it means.”

 

Pam’s heart began to beat a little faster. “It doesn’t have to mean anything.”

 

Jim’s eyes once again were drawn to her hand and that finger that was always weighted down by another man getting there first. That man wasn’t there anymore. Pam kept talking and he gazed into her face, the face of a truly single woman, and wondered that if it was all for him, surely that had to mean something.  

 

“How could it not?” He found himself saying, surprising them both at the emotion in his voice. “I mean…you took off your ring, Pam. That’s…”

 

Her mouth formed a small ‘o’ of revelation and her lashes fluttered as she stared down at her hand.

 

Pam was at a loss. She began to review their conversation through Jim’s ears and felt herself blushing madly at her insinuations that she’d taken off her wedding ring as a gift for him. The look on his face, the questions in his eyes, the words that were on the tip of his tongue, if only she’d give him a sign. Or perhaps she just inadvertently did. The thought made her break into a cold sweat of nerves.

 

“Oh. No. That…I think we were talking about…I got you something else.”

 

Jim blinked away his dismay as Pam nervously reached down for the red folder he thought was a diversion.

 

“I-I, um…It’s a-“

 

“Wow,” Jim forced himself to laugh, replacing his heart from out on his sleeve and back into its protective shell. “This could have been awkward. I’m glad we dodged that bullet.”

 

Her eyes were still wide with alarm. Jim cursed himself for almost falling down that rabbit hole once more, reading into signs that spelled friendship and opening his mouth only to be hesitantly rejected. When was he ever going to learn? It was never what Pam said, it was always the unsaid that was his undoing.

 

“Hey, put that away,” he told her, trying to keep his tone light. “It’s not Christmas yet. I want to be surprised.”

 

Pam felt relief flood over her. “Really?”

 

Jim nodded.

 

She looked like she wanted to say something, but finally just bowed her head with a small laugh. “Okay.”

 

“I’ll take a hint though.”

 

Pam broke into a broad grin, the tension dissipating. “Nope.”

 

“What? You expect me to wait another week for something that small? Don’t you know my extravagant tastes at all, Beesly?”

 

“Oh, it’s extravagant,” Pam assured him. “Trust me. You will not be disappointed.”

 

“I don’t know…”

 

“Well, you will just have to wait and –” She cut herself off when the office door opened and Roy entered, his hands filled with envelopes of varying size and shapes.

 

Jim noticed her mood turn dour and he straightened. He jerked his head to the side. “I’m going to get back to work.”

 

She nodded, already bracing herself as Roy cautiously approached.

 

“What’s that?” She cut to the chase, not bothering with pleasantries.

 

“It’s all your mail. From the house.” He handed her the stack of letters and bills and credit card offers. “I thought you might want it.”

 

She flipped through them quickly, not seeing anything of importance. “Thanks.”

 

“I was hoping you’d be coming home to get it, but it had been two weeks, so-“

 

“Two weeks?”

 

Pam felt her stomach seize in anxiety. She couldn’t see who had overheard, but she knew that incredulous voice anywhere.

 

“Pam, you haven’t been home in two weeks?” Kelly couldn’t believe it. “Did you move out or something?”

 

Roy glanced warily between the two women, then focused on Pam with interest, wondering what she would say.

 

“Kelly, keep your voice down,” Pam urged, tucking invisible strands of hair behind her ears nervously. Ryan was already staring at her and Karen’s head popped up behind her computer. Jim was no where to be found and she didn’t know if that was a good thing or a bad thing. She could have used a sympathetic face.

 

“You did, didn’t you? Are you two getting a divorce?”

 

“Kelly-“

 

“Divorce?” Michael repeated, suddenly entering the room from his haven.

 

Pam sighed loudly. “Thanks, Kelly.”

 

Kelly’s face was serious. “If you need to talk, I’m here. That’s what girlfriends are for. And setting you up on blind dates with really really hot friends of mine.”

 

Roy’s face twisted in anger. “I’m right here.”

 

“You’re getting a divorce?” Michael continued to pester, becoming upset. “Already? Its been, what? Six months?”

 

“July, August, September, October, November – Not even six months,” Kelly counted off on her fingers. “Don’t feel bad though. Britney’s lasted only 55 hours.”

 

Michael circled the desk and leaned down to whisper, “What happened? Did he cheat? Did he hit you?”

 

“Hey! No I did not hit her.”

 

Michael appraised him knowingly. “So it was the cheating.”

 

Roy’s fist clenched at his side. “I didn’t cheat either.”

 

“So was it your decision, Pam?” Michael wanted to know, bending back down. “Do you need to talk about it?”

 

“You know, I really don’t,” Pam replied, feeling her patience reach its limit. “I’d really like to keep my personal life private, if that’s okay with everyone here.” Her voice carried.

 

“We’ll talk later,” Kelly nodded.

 

“Okay. But if you need a divorce lawyer, let me know. My girlfriend Carol went through one and apparently he’s really good, cause they’re divorced.”

 

“Thanks, Michael.” Pam wearily rubbed her forehead. When her airspace was once again hers and hers alone, she looked up to see Roy’s face still. “Sorry about that. You can probably tell why I haven’t…what? What’s wrong?”

 

“Your ring.” His voice was monotone and lifeless. “You took off your ring.”

 

He was gone before she had a chance to respond, the weight of her guilt crushing her words.

 

***

 

“Frisbee based competitions,” Jim began, feigning amazement as Andy prattled on about starting up a Frisbee golf club during his years at Cornell. He knew Pam understood what ‘frolfing’ was, but figured Andy could remind her anyways.

 

“Why did Michael bring us to the park? Is there any specific reason?” 

“Is there ever a reason with Michael?” Jim laughed. 

Pam sighed. “I could pretend to be outraged at the waste of company money on frivolous employee outings.” 

“But then you realized you’re not Angela?” 

“And then I realized I’m not Angela,” Pam repeated, her eyes wide. “How did you know I was going to say that?” 

Jim smiled, feeling his chest puff out. “Because I know you, Beesly.” 

It’s creepy.” 

“Quick. What am I thinking right now?” Jim asked, keeping his expression blank. 

Pam peered into his face studiously. “You are thinking…”

Jim’s features began to change gradually as he stared at her staring at him. The way her nose crinkled up in thought and her eyes searched every inch of his face for a clue. She was adorable. She was… 

“Owww!” Pam shrieked, dropping to her knees. 

Jim jolted out of his stupor and crouched down beside her. “What? What happened? Are you okay?” 

Pam raised her fist and the bright pink Frisbee that was clenched between her fingers. “This!” She shook it violently. “This hit me in the head. What the hell is this?” 

“It’s a Frisbee, Pam,” Jim replied slowly, his lips twitching in amusement. “I’ve never seen you this mad before.” 

Well who throws a Frisbee at people’s heads?” She cried, rubbing the back of her head.  “I think the wind must have caught it."

"Don't defend it!"

"Look, there’s a hole, right over there. They must be playing Frisbee Golf.” 

“Frisbee Golf?” Pam repeated. “What is Frisbee Golf?” 

“It’s-“

“You know what?” she interrupted. “I don’t care.” Her nose lifted snootily. “But I hate it.” 

Jim laughed loudly and helped her back up to her feet. Pam watched as he jogged over to two teenagers who were looking for their disc, apologizing profusely for hitting her. She smiled and shrugged, assuring them it was okay. Jim returned to her and gazed into her eyes. “How’s your head?” He reached behind her and massaged gently, feeling for a bump. “I don’t feel anything. You gonna make it?” 

Pam felt herself melting. “I think I’ll live.”

 

 

***  

“Got it. What else?” Andy wanted to know, tapping his pen annoyingly on his notepad where he was diligently taking notes.

 

“Let’s see…” Jim tapped his chin in thought. “Hunting. She loves to hunt. Ducks, especially.”

 

“Is that an old school Nintendo set, Halpert?” Pam reached inside his tv stand and unearthed the small gray console of a dated Nintendo.  

“It is,” Jim concurred, the giddy smile still adorning his lips because Pam was still in his bedroom.

“Do you remember these things?” 

“Remember?” Pam gasped, her excitement bubbling up. “I love old school Nintendo. Super Mario Brothers and Tetris and…Oh my God! Is this Donkey Kong?” 

“Oh yes,” Jim replied in grave seriousness. “That is Donkey Kong. You don’t want to play, do you?” 

Pam’s eyes widened. “Does it still work? Of course I want to play.” 

“I never pegged you for a gamer, Beesly.” 

“I’m not, really. I hate all the new systems they have out. Roy made me play NBA Jams a lot on his Sega and now he and his friends play Madden all the time. But Nintendo? I love.” 

“Let’s see what else we have here,” Jim said as he perused his games. “What about Duck Hunt? Let me see if I can find the guns.” 

Pam put her hand on his forearm. “No. I hated Duck Hunt.” 

“How could you hate Duck Hunt?” Jim asked in amazement, trying to memorize the feeling of her fingertips on his skin.  

“The question is, how could you like Duck Hunt, Jim.” 

“And the answer is, because its awesome. 

Pam shook her head. “I’m deeply disappointed in you, Halpert.” 

Jim laughed. “Okay, so no Duck Hunt. But why don’t you like it? It’s a Nintendo staple.” 

“It’s horrible!” Pam informed him. “Do you see the way the ducks fall down to the ground after you kill them?” She shuddered. “I hate hunting. Especially those poor ducks.” 

“You do realize its not real, right?” Jim teased.  

Pam made a face. “I’m gonna ask you the same question when you’re crying after I kick your ass at Donkey Kong.” 

“I’ll look forward to that.” 

***  

“Also…Do you speak Pig Latin?”

 

Andy nodded, his expression determined. “I asked my advisor if Cornell had a course, but they didn’t. So I studied up on my own. I am really good.”

 

“Excellent. She loves when guys ask her out in Pig Latin.”

 

 “I just think she’s too young,” Pam confessed, worry knitting her brow. “I mean, she’s my baby niece.” 

“She’s fourteen, Pam,” Jim admonished. “That’s old enough.” Pam shook her head. “No, its not. You don’t understand.”

“No, I get it. I’m an uncle too. The thought of Shelly dating is horrifying.” 

“Right?” Pam sighed in relief. “But Shelly is only three. You have a longer time to wait. Bethany’s already in high school. I can’t believe it. And now she wants to start dating. And of course, she’s gonna come to me for advice, because she can’t go to her parents.” She covered her face with her hands.  

Jim laughed and rubbed her back affectionately. “It’ll be okay.” 

“How old were you?” 

“You’re going to have to be  more specific.” 

“When you started dating.” 

“I was sixteen when I asked my first girl out. But going to movies with groups of friends and stuff? I was fourteen. My older brother had a car and I got to tag along with him most times.” 

“I was fourteen, too. I was asked out the year before though.” Pam shook her head and smiled wryly at the memory. 

“What? What was that face for?” Jim leaned forward on his elbows. 

“Ugh. I had the biggest crush on this kid back in junior high. Bobby Stewart. And I overheard him telling his friends that he was going to ask me out to a movie and I was all excited. Then he did…” 

“What?” Jim asked, already laughing. “What did he do?” 

Pam laughed at Jim’s anticipation. “He asked me out in Pig Latin.” 

“No.” Jim bent over. “No he did not.” 

“He did!” Pam cried, tears sneaking  out of her eyes. “Who does that?” 

“Thirteen year olds.” 

“Did you ever?” 

Jim pondered for a moment. “No. But I did pull a girl’s hair once.” 

“That I would have swooned for,” Pam said. “But Pig Latin? Never.” 

“Good to know.” 

***

 

“I think I have all I need,” Andy boasted with confidence. “Its amazing how alike we are. This is going to be a piece of cake. Thanks, Tuna.”

 

“No, thank you.” Jim laced his hands behind his head and watched Andy swagger out of the break room where they’d been holed up for the past twenty minutes. He gave himself a few moments of self-congratulatory praise before heading out himself.

 

It was going to be a fun show. He didn’t want to miss it.

 

Chapter End Notes:
Up next: Pam turns the tables on Jim and Jim answers to Karen

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans