- Text Size +

Jim followed Jenn into the empty cafeteria. Jim got two cups of coffee from the machine and joined Jenn at a small, metal table. They drank in silence for a few minutes, when Jim came to the realization that if he didn’t know a couple of details about what had happened he would burst. He shifted in his chair and cleared his throat a couple of times. It was almost as if Jenn could read his mind. She put down her cup and started to talk.

“I guess you already know that Pam was in a car accident. Her and Roy were at some thing for his family. All we know is that he was on his way to take her home and they got into an argument about something….Roy wasn’t clear on the details. All he said was that they were arguing and he was looking at her and when he looked up he was headed straight for a tree”. Jenn’s voice caught in her throat and Jim could see the tears building up in her eyes. “He said he tried to swerve, but it was too late. I don’t really know what happened after that. Roy was okay because he got out of the truck and called 911. He was able to open the passenger door and unbuckle her. At least he had enough sense not to move her. The doctor said that if he had it could of snapped a vertebrae in her spine and she would have been paralyzed.

A huge lump formed in Jim’s throat. He didn’t want to picture any of this. The fact that she wasn’t paralyzed caused the tiniest bit of hope to arise within him. He also found himself being slightly grateful for Roy and that he had actually thought enough not to damage her further. He could sense that Jenn was going to continue.

The ambulance came quickly and on the way here Roy called us. He was alright. Just a few cuts and bruises and a cracked rib. Nothing too serious. As they were putting Pam into the ambulance Phyllis and Bob Vance just happened to be driving by and saw what happened. They followed the ambulance here and have been here ever since. They have been really helpful. They called us and we left right away. I am sure Richard broke about 10 traffic laws trying to get us here faster. We got here about 1:30 this morning. Luckily she didn’t have to have any surgery. She has 2 broken ribs, a broken leg and some major cuts and bruises. The doctor said that she must of hit her head on the dashboard when they crashed and that is the reason for the coma.”

Jim felt like he should finally try and say something constructive. “Phyllis said something about the doctor thinking she will come out alright.” Geez, that sounded lame. She had just been in a car wreck. Of course she wasn’t alright. His comment didn’t seem to faze Jenn at all because she smiled, “Yes, he did say that. They did an MRI and he said that everything looks really good. It’s just a matter of waiting. He said she was really lucky.” Jenn paused, “I think there is a reason that she is supposed to stay here”. Jim looked at her curiously, but he didn’t have to even ask to know the answer.

Jenn gently laid her hand over the top of Jim’s larger one. “I know Jim. I know about you and her. I know about what you told her.” Jim was less surprised then he thought he would have been. He thought back to one of the countless IM conversations they had while pretending to work. .

.

*** They were playing a weird version of 20 questions that was actually just a question and answer session over IM. He had asked her who in her family she was closest too. She had said that she was always close to her dad…the whole 'Daddy’s Girl' thing. She also had a good relationship with her brother Rick. But she was the closest to her mom. “She is one of my very best friends” Pam had typed. “One of them”. Jim had had a feeling that she was referring to him, but not wanting to read anything into it he typed back, “You rank your mom up there with Dwight don’t you?” Pam had stuck her tongue out at him over the top of the reception desk and then her face broke into a huge smile.***

Jenn‘s voice brought him back to the present. “Jim the thing that you need to know….the thing that Pam hasn’t been able to tell you yet is that she always knew. Somewhere deep inside of her she always knew how you felt, because she felt it too.” Jim felt his heart flutter, but he kept quiet. “Pam has never been known for her courageous nature, “ Jenn said with a smile. “But I could see it in her…when she talked about you…and all that you shared. I could see that there was more to it than “just friends”. That night…when you told her….she called me. I asked her flat out if she felt the same way for you. I could tell that it took every ounce of courage in her body to tell me that yes, she did feel the same way.” Jim could feel the tears start to form in his eyes. He couldn’t let himself cry in front of Pam’s mom, a woman he had only know for 15 minutes and yet he knew that if he did, she wouldn’t think anything of it. Jenn leaned in closer to him. “Then you were gone and her heart was broken. Just like I suspect yours was when she told you that she was going to marry Roy. She actually came by to see you once”. Jim’s head shot up. “What? When?” he asked. “Right after she broke up with Roy. We were out driving and talking and I told Pam that she should consider calling you and at least telling you that she had called off the wedding. I thought maybe it would be your chance. We drove past your house and saw you loading boxes into a moving van. I think it broke her heart all over again.”

Jim couldn’t control himself anymore and he unashamedly let a small tear roll down his face. He could tell that Jenn immediately wondered if she had said too much. “Jim…I am so sorry. I am not telling you this to upset you. I don’t want to do that. I am telling you this so you know. So you know that it wasn’t over for her. Not then….and I am sure not now. I am sure you both have lots of questions and lots of things need to be answered. But that is something that the two of you need to work out…together.”

Jim quickly wiped his eyes and ran his finger through his already disheveled hair. “Thank you.” he said. “It means……everything.” he finished with a whisper. Then feeling more calm and confident then he had in a long time he looked at Jenn and said, “It’s not over”.

She smiled at him and stood up. “We should get back.” she said. “I want to be there if anything changes”. They started walking back down the quiet hallway to the waiting room. Jenn stopped in front of room 308. “You should go see her.” she said pointing to the room. Jim stopped and stared at the door. “Are you sure that’s a good idea?” he asked. “Of course it is. She is probably hoping you’ll come.” Jenn patted him on the arm and then continued down the hallway leaving him staring at the closed door.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans