- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Ok...this is probably the longest chapter in the history of Fanfic! We just didn't want to leave you hanging with another cliffhanger. A lot of angst in this chapter, plus we meet Aidan and see a little Karen POV. Hope you like it!!

Pam and Jan had left not too long after Jim and Karen went to lunch. Michael had calmed down and had told Pam that when she wanted to come back the “family” would be ready. He had selected a logo and Pam had wanted to get to the hotel so she could work on it some more. She drove past Cuigios on her way to the hotel and saw Jim’s car parked outside. Earlier when she had seen him leave with Karen she had to blink away the tears caused by the hurt and confusion she was feeling. She honestly didn’t know what to do. It had been proven the being apart was too difficult, but she was so sure that because there was too much from the past that had kept them apart that they were destined to stay that way forever.

She had booked a room at the hotel and now lay collapsed on the bed staring up at the ceiling. Thinking about his eyes, his face, the way his hair curled slightly at the back of his neck. She saw his hand on Karen’s back and remembered how the heat from his body had lingered on her skin for what seemed like hours anytime he would accidentally brush up against her. She knew now that it was no accident and she would have given anything to relive those moments. To feel his hands on her back, in her hair. His lips on hers.

“I am such a LOSER!” she said aloud. She grabbed the pillow and pulled it over her face as she let out a scream, trying to release some of the tension that had been built up inside of her for so long.

**knock** knock**

Pam sat up abruptly. She hoped that no one had heard her. She quickly hurried to the door and peered through the peephole.

“Hey…” she said to Kate as she opened the door.

“I have brought your traveling closet.” Kate said wheeling Pam’s suitcases into the room behind her.

“Don’t be jealous…” Pam laughed taking the garment bag from Kate’s hands and hanging it up in the closet.

“Wow! This is a great room.” Kate said collapsing on the bed. “What time are Natalee and Aidan coming?”

Pam glanced at her watch. “They left New York around 4:00, so probably anytime. I told them we’d meet them at Casa De Mama for dinner at 7:00.”

“Sounds great. I am starving.” Kate rolled over onto her stomach and looked at Pam. “So? How did it go? Did he freak when he saw you? How was the meeting? Did you nail it?”

“Well let’s see….things with Jim suck, he is still with Karen. We spoke maybe ten words to each other the whole time. He asked me out for coffee…not sure why.”

“What did you say?’

“I told him no.”

“PAM!” Kate squealed throwing a pillow in Pam’s direction. “Why did you say no?!”

“Because I am a loser. I don’t know. I just froze. But then he left with Karen so it couldn’t have meant anything really.”

“Oh please. I know you don’t believe that. Pam…pretty soon he’s just going to stop trying.”

That hit Pam harder than she thought it would. Kate was right. Maybe that had been his last attempt and she had blown it. Then she remembered the way Karen smiled up at him as he helped her on with her coat and she was back to feeling confused.

“Everything is so screwed up.” Pam said inaudibly.

“It’ll all work out Pam. The way that it is supposed to.” Kate said.

Kate looked at her sister. Sometimes she saw glimpses of the old Pam. The Pam that she knew, but for a really long time there had been a distinct sadness in her eyes. She wished that she could make that go away, but she knew only Pam could take care of that.

“Look…” Kate said brightly hoping off the bed. “What do you want to do until we meet everyone for dinner?”

Pam smiled at Kate. “I don’t know….um…”

“Well I think that you should let me borrow some of those fancy new clothes of yours and we can get all fancy for dinner.”

Pam laughed. “Help yourself!”

Pam flipped on the TV and zoned out while Kate took a shower. Then Kate insisted on spreading all of their clothes out on the bed to pick the perfect outfits.

Kate! It’s not like we’re going to the Ritz Carlton or something. We’re just having dinner with mom and dad…in Scranton.”

“Look…I either wear jeans or a lab coat all day. I want to dress up!” Kate laughed.

“Okay okay!” Pam said.

Dinner was fun. Pam’s parents liked Natalee and Aidan immediately. Aidan was very interested in Ben’s job and Diane was talking to Natalee about growing up in Boston. After dinner they stood in the parking lot saying their goodbye.

It was so nice to meet you guys!” Natalee said hugging Diane goodbye.

“It was great to finally meet you! Thanks for looking after Pam!”

“She’s doing just fine on her own!” Natalee laughed.

After Pam’s parents left Pam, Kate, Aidan and Natalee went back to the hotel. Aidan went to his and Natalee’s room to make some phone calls so Natalee joined Pam and Kate in their room. Pam filled her in on the events of the day.

“I can’t believe you said no!” Natalee said.

“That’s what I told her!” said Kate.

“I know….” Pam sighed. “I can’t believe it either.”

They talked until about midnight and then Natalee headed back to her room to go to sleep. Pam changed into her pajamas and crawled into bed.

“Good night.” Kate said as Pam switched off the light.

“Night….” Pam rolled over and was soon asleep.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jim had had a relaxing night at home. Well as relaxing of a night as one can have when your heart feels like it’s made of glass and will shatter again at any moment. He ate Chinese food on his couch while watching a basketball game. His mom called to check in and he felt bad that he was so evasive on the phone. She had been really worried about him since he moved to Stamford. He was very close to his mom and had told her about finally telling Pam that he loved her and how nothing came of it. She had asked him to reconsider his move, but when he refused she came over and helped him pack. Karen had been bugging him for a few weeks to meet his parents, but he just couldn’t bring himself to do it. She had met his sister briefly when she had dropped something off at his house, but Karen had been on the phone and only had time for a quick handshake.

He had slept in late, waking up around 11:00 to his cell phone ringing shrilly in his ears.

“Hey…” he mumbled into the phone trying to shield his eyes from the sun streaming through his window.

“Oh please. You are not still asleep are you?” he heard Karen on the other end.

What a great way to be woken up. “What’s up Karen?” he asked climbing out of bed.

“I just wanted to see if you wanted to go to the gym with me. Then maybe hang out…grab some lunch before going to the wedding.”

“Oh….um…I’d like too, I gotta get some stuff done around here before we go out tonight.”

“Whatever!” Karen said a little too cheerfully. “Is it cool if I come get ready at your place when I’m done. Then I don’t have to go back home.”

“Um….yeah that’s fine.”

“Ok! See you in a little bit! Don’t go back to bed!!” Jim heard a click and then the dial tone. He threw is phone on his bed and stumbled across the hall to the bathroom. After taking a long hot shower he headed downstairs for some breakfast. He was sitting on his couch eating cereal watching some stupid cartoon on TV when the phone rang.

“Hello?” he answered after swallowing a mouthful of cereal.

“Hey man.”

“Hey Jake…what’s up?”

“Oh nothing…just calling to say hi.”

“Mom called you didn’t she?” Jim asked flipping the channel to some cooking show.

“Uh….no….” Jake said feigning ignorance.

“Whatever…I told her I was fine.”

“Yeah, but that’s the problem with being freakishly close to your family. We all know when your lying.”

“I’m not lying. Everything is fine. I have a job…a house…food…things could be a hell of a lot worse.”

“Jim….” Jake knew that something was wrong when his normally upbeat brother talked like this.

Jim took a deep breath. “She came back…to the office. I saw her. Asked her out for coffee. She turned me down. Said it wasn’t a good idea.”

“Man…I’m sorry.” Jake said “We have got to get you over this.”

“Yeah well…that’s not going to be easy since I’ll probably see her tonight. A lady I work with is getting married…she’ll be there.”

“You’re not going to try again are you? I mean there is only so much a man can take.”

“I know….it’s just…”

“I know…you’re in love with her.”

Jim sighed again. “Yeah…I am.”

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

“Wake up Pammy!!”

Pam groaned and slowly opened her eyes to find Kate beaming down at her.

“Go away. Still sleeping.” Pam grumbled. She’d only had one glass of wine at dinner the night before, but she could of sworn that she was hung over.

“Pam! It’s 12:00 in the afternoon! You’ve been asleep for like 12 hours!!”

Pam sighed heavily. “Fine….” she said throwing back the covers and slowly sitting up.

“We have to get you beautiful for this wedding!” Kate chirped.

“The wedding is not for another 5 hours!” Pam said falling back on her pillow.

“Well seeing how you look right now you’re going to need all the time you can get.” Kate laughed ducking as Pam hurled a pillow at her head.

“Thanks…thanks a lot! Fine…I’m up!”

“I’m going to run over to the bakery around the corner and get us something to eat.”

“Thanks….” Pam said as she walked into the bathroom. She took one look in the mirror and knew that Kate was right. Her hair was sticking up in all different directions and she had dark circles under her eyes.

“Geez…” Pam thought “Good thing Jim doesn’t have to wake up to this every morning. Karen probably wakes up with her make-up on and business suit pressed.”

Pam didn’t know why she was in such a crappy mood. She had woken up once in the night around 2:00 AM with Kate’s comment ‘Sooner or later he’ll stop trying’ ringing in her head. She couldn’t understand why someone like Jim, who was smart and funny and good looking would even give her a second glance let alone confessed to being in love with her. When she had rejected him the first time she had felt like a part of her soul had died. She knew it was wrong…knew he was what she had wanted, but fear gripped her heart like an iron hand and she couldn’t shake that feeling. It wasn’t until she called off the wedding that she finally felt that tightness begin to dissipate. Then he came back and she was ready…excited and hopeful, but Jim…was different. She knew that his distance was a protection. How could it not be? He had offered his heart to her and she had rejected it…broken it. Why would he keep coming back? She didn’t deserve him and he didn’t deserve the hell she had put him through. Maybe that’s why I turned him down for coffee she thought. Maybe I am trying to save him from me. But she knew that that was only part of the truth. She was also afraid that she would tell him that she was in love with him and he would take one look at her and tell her she was too late and she was almost a hundred percent sure that she couldn’t take that.

Pam glared at herself once more in the mirror and then slowly climbed into the shower. The hot water helped to wash away some of the guilt and sadness she was feeling, but it didn’t rinse away that hollow ache deep in her gut.

She was sitting in a chair out on the balcony when Kate returned with the food.

“Feel better now?” Kate asked handing Pam a bottle of water.

“Yeah…thanks. Sorry I was so awful earlier.”

“You never have been a morning person!” Kate laughed taking a bite of her sandwich.

“True…” Pam smiled. They hung out on the balcony eating, talking and laughing. Then they went down to the hotel gym and worked out for about an hour. When they came back to the hotel room, Pam decided she better take another shower. She was in the process of blow drying her hair when there was a knock at the door.

“That must be Natalee.” Kate said.

“Hey!” Pam said opening the door.

“Hey! I’ve brought supplies!” Natalee said holding up a huge make-up case.

“Good grief! You’d think I was the one getting married!” Pam said closing the door behind her.

She watched as Natalee began spreading make-up and hair products around on the table. “I don’t think this much preparation went into my prom! I don’t even have real date!!”

“Come on!” Kate said. “It’s fun!”

“Whatever you say.” Pam said.

Natalee set to work on Pam’s hair. First she straightened it and then set it in hot rollers. After it was done Natalee pulled out the rollers and let Pam’s hair fall down her shoulders in soft curls. Then they set to work on Pam’s make-up. Simple, but classic. Kate had ironed her dress. She carefully slipped it on over her head and smoothed the front of it with her hands. She gingerly sat on the edge of the bed and slipped on the new black high heels that she had bought to go with it. Then she stood up and twirled around.

“You look fantastic.” Kate said.

“That dress is perfect for you!” Natalee agreed.

Pam looked at herself in the mirror. She had to admit that she did look pretty nice. The dress fit her nicely and Natalee had done a great job on her hair and make-up. Kate glanced at the clock.

“It’s quarter to 5.” she said. “You better get going.”

“Yeah….” Pam said grabbing her coat and the small black clutch that Natalee had lent her. They took the elevator down to the lobby where Aidan was already waiting. He looked great, Pam had to admit. He was wearing a classy black suit, white dress shirt and a black tie.

“Wow…” he said. “You look great Pam.”

Thanks…” Pam said slipping on her coat. Natalee kissed Aidan goodbye.

“Don’t steal my man.” she laughed giving Pam a quick hug.

“This is so weird!” Pam said. “But thanks. I really appreciate it.”

Pam followed Aidan out to his black Mercedes. He opened the door for her and then went around the other side and got in. Pam had spent enough time with Aidan that she knew this wasn’t going to be awkward.

“Thanks for doing this.” Pam said as Aidan pulled out of the parking lot. “I know there are probably a hundred other things you’d rather be doing right now.”

“Don’t even worry about it Pam. I’m happy to do it.”

They sat in comfortable silence for a minute and then Aidan asked, “So how do you want to play this?”

“What do you mean?”

“How do we need to play this? We're trying to make Jim jealous, right? I mean do I need to put my hand on your back, hold your hand, what?”

“Oh…I don’t know. I didn’t really think about it.” Pam said.

“Okay…let me take care of it then.” he looked at Pam and winked.

Pam was kind of excited. She didn’t know exactly what this evening would hold, but for the first time in a long time she was feeling optimistic about it. She didn’t know where this confidence had come from. Since seeing Jim the day before she had been a nervous, sulky mess. But now, dressed up and going to the wedding she felt good.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Jim had still been lounging on the couch when Karen had come over.

“Looks like you’ve had a productive day.” she said dumping her things on a chair.

“Yeah….” Jim said giving her a quick kiss on the cheek.

“What are you wearing to this thing?” Karen asked.

“I have a black suit and tie….it’s not like tuxedo formal.”

“Is it ironed?” she asked hanging up a garment bag on the back of a dining room chair.

It was really starting to get on Jim’s nerves the way that she talked down to him at times. He was a grown man and perfectly capable of getting dressed.

“Yes mom….” he said sarcastically.

“I’m sorry….” she said wrapping her arms around his neck. “I didn’t mean it like that.”

He hugged her back and pressed a quick kiss to her lips.

She moved her fingers down and started toying with his collar. “Look I need to take a shower….care to join me?”

Jim really wasn’t in the mood for this. Instead he kissed her once more and said, “You go ahead…Mark is going to be home any minute.”

Karen let go of him looking dejected. “Honestly?”

“Well…I…” Jim didn’t even know what to say.

“Whatever Jim. I hope sooner or later you can figure out what the hell is bothering you so that we can actually have a real relationship.” and with that Karen scooped up her stuff and headed up to the bathroom.

Jim watched her go. He knew he was going to have to end this. It just wasn’t fair to her. Jonathan had been right. As long as Pam was in the picture he could never be with someone else 100%. That thought made him a little mad. What kind of hold did she have on him that she could reject him completely and yet he would keep going back just to get rejected again. Would he ever be able to find happiness again? He knew that part of it was his own fault. She had left. Made a clean break. Yet he had e-mailed her, asking for contact. After tonight she would go back to New York and then that would be the end. It had to be. He had to move on and live his life and forget about something that he never had. Once he heard Karen get out of the shower he headed upstairs. She was standing in his room in a t-shirt blow drying her hair.

He pulled his suit out of the closet and began to get dressed. He went into the bathroom to put something in his hair. Karen had bought him mousse and told him to use it so that his hair didn’t look so “sloppy”. When he went back into his room Karen was sitting on his bed slipping on some high heels. She had on a silky dark green dress. Her hair was twisted up off her neck. She was beautiful, Jim thought as she stood up and walked towards him.

“You clean up nicely Halpert.” she said with a smile.

“Do I pass?” Jim asked straightening his tie.

“Definitely…” she said kissing him softly.

“You look great.” he said and was pleased that the comment elicited a genuine smile from her.

“Thank you. Are you ready?”

“Yeah.” he helped her on with her coat and they headed down to his car.

“This will be fun!” Karen said settling into the passenger seat.

“Mmm hmmm…” Jim muttered as once again his mind was somewhere else.

He had butterflies in his stomach as Karen grabbed his arm and they walked in to the church. He quickly scanned the rows of people, but she was no where in sight. He let Karen lead him to a row and they sat down next to Stanley and his wife. After brief hello’s he turned slightly to see if she had come in. He waved to Kevin and his fiancé Stacey and saw Kelly drag a flustered Ryan into the row behind him. He glance at his watch, 4:58. The wedding was to start in two minutes. Maybe she wasn’t coming. He had turned back to Karen when he heard Kelly exclaim, “Oh my God!”

He turned his head to see Pam walking up the isle and slide into the row across from him, gently guided by a hand on her back belonging to a tall, good looking guy in a black suit. He felt as if his throat had been closed off from oxygen.

“Wow…” Karen said. “Who is that with Pam? He is gorgeous.” He watched as the guy leaned close to Pam and whispered something in her ear and then his heart stopped as his eyes caught hers across the aisle. Instinctively he grabbed Karen’s hand and felt like the biggest ass in the world as Pam’s face flushed slightly and she looked away.

The music began to play and everyone stood and Jim cast another glance in Pam’s direction. She had her head turned towards the back door, her soft curls falling over her shoulder. How the hell was he supposed to get over her when she looked so damn beautiful, he thought as the doors opened and Phyllis appeared accompanied by her father…and Michael. He had to stifle a laugh and suddenly he felt her eyes on him. She had laughter in her eyes and he offered her a small smile. She smiled back, but quickly looked away again.

The ceremony was nice…except for a few interruptions from Michael, but that was to be expected when you invite him to be in your wedding party. Karen had hold of his hand the whole time, but that didn’t stop him from casting sideways glances at Pam. Once he caught the eye of the guy that she was with and cringed as the guy responded by draping his arm across Pam’s shoulders.

Neither Pam and Jim listened to the ceremony. Jim was too busy trying to figure out who this guy that Pam brought was and trying to catch her eye when he should've been paying more attention to his girlfriend. Pam, on the other hand, felt good about her and Aidan's entrance. For a moment she thought she was being mean to Jim but then she thought back to when he transferred back from Stamford and his coldness to her and her sympathy dissipated. She had to do this if she was going to move on. After all, didn't Jim move on?

When the ceremony was over Jim watched as the mystery guy took Pam by the hand and gently led her out of the church. He felt his heart begin to crack as he watched them leave and then he knew. She had moved on and now he had to as well.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Aidan opened the car door for Pam and she slid carefully into the passenger seat. He got inside the car Pam turned to him and asked, “Why are you helping me like this?”

Aidan turned to face her, “Because, if Jim sees us like this, maybe it will light a fire under his ass and he'll finally come to his senses and ask you out.”

Pam sighed, “He did ask me out for coffee yesterday.”

“He did? What did you say?”

“I told him it wasn’t a good idea.” Pam said quietly nervously twisting her fingers in her lap.

“What? Why not?”

“I don’t know….” Pam trailed off. The only problem was that Pam did know. She didn’t trust herself and she didn’t want to cause any problems between Jim and Karen. She wanted Jim to finally be happy for once after all the pain that she had caused him.

“Well…” Aidan said starting the car. “We’re going to have to fix this.”

“Fix it? How?”

“You’re going to have to ask him to dance…keep trying.”

“What? I couldn’t do that.” Pam said

“Why not? Why are you so nervous? It’s not like he’s going to say no.” Aidan smiled as he pulled out of the parking lot and headed to the VA hall for the reception.

“He has a girlfriend.” Pam said.

That may be true…for now…” Aidan said. “…But I saw the way he looked at you when you walked in today. No guy looks at a girl like that unless there is something there.”

Pam didn’t respond. She just stared out the window silently.

“I mean I don’t mean to get all Olivia Newton-John on you, but the man is in love with you. You should have seen the way he was looking at me…I was nervous for a minute there.” Aidan paused for a moment, then added, “I feel bad for you.”

“Why?” Pam asked turning back to him.

“Because if you ever decide to date someone seriously,” Aidan winked. “Jim is going to kick their ass.”

Pam laughed and then looked back out the window. “It might be too late.”

“Trust me. It’s not too late.”

Pam took hold of Aidan’s arm when the walked into the reception hall. “Oh geez…” Pam said when she saw the big flower arrangement with P and R scrolled on the front.

“What?” Aidan asked.

Pam rolled her eyes. “It’s nothing…it’s just…that’s the same flower arrangement I had picked…for my wedding.” Pam, Natalee and Aidan had had a good laugh about the wedding invites being the same and Natalee had joked that Phyllis should pay Pam commission for planning her wedding for her.

“No way…” Aidan began to laugh when he looked up and saw Jim and Karen walk in. He quickly leaned down closer to Pam. “He’s here…” he whispered in her ear.

Pam smiled and leaned her body a bit closer to his.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The hair on Jim’s neck prickled as he walked into the reception hall and saw Pam standing there, her hand resting lightly on the bicep of the guy from the wedding. He felt jealousy begin to boil inside of him as he saw the man lean down and whisper in her ear and then watched as her face broke into a smile. He wrapped his arm around Karen and pulled her close to him. She looked up at him, surprised, but said nothing. He watched as Pam and the guy walked towards a table and sat down. He felt as if he was going to throw up when he found his name card and saw that he and Karen were sitting at the same table. “What the hell did I do in my previous life to deserve this shit?” he thought as Karen pulled him to the table. He saw the look on Pam’s face as they approached. She was as shocked as he was.

“Hi Pam.” Karen said lightly taking off her jacket and setting her purse on the table.

“Hi…Karen…” Pam said.

Aidan stood up and extended his hand. “Hi…I am Aidan.”

“I’m Karen…nice to meet you!”

Aidan smiled and turned to Jim. Jim stared at him for a moment and then grasped his hand firmly.

“Jim…” he said curtly.

“Nice to meet you both.” Aidan sat back down and then slung his arm over the back of Pam’s chair. “How do you two know the happy couple?”

Jim wanted to punch the guy in the face. Sure he was nice enough, but here he was his arm around Pam and it was just another reminder that he would never have her.

“We work with Phyllis…at Dunder Mifflin. Where Pam used to work.” Karen said taking out her cell phone.

“Oh that’s great.” Aidan said trying to hide a smile due to the fact that Jim had not taken his eyes off of Pam the entire time.

“What do you do Aidan?” Karen asked in between text messages.

“I am a PR executive for GAP incorporated.”

“Oh wow. That sounds great.” Karen glanced over at Jim and saw the intense look on his face.

“It is…keeps me busy. Not too busy though.” Aidan said pulling Pam a little closer.

Pam wanted to laugh. Aidan was playing this off perfectly. It was then that she saw the look on Jim’s face and began to feel like a total bitch. He was mad…hurt…confused. Truly all she had wanted to do was send him the sign that he could move on, but that was clearly not what was happening.

She sifted slightly in her chair and as if on cue Aidan let his arm drop to the side. He turned to Pam. “Do you want something to drink?”

“Yes, please…anything is fine.” she said smiling at him gratefully.

“Jim?” Karen asked not looking up from her phone. “Get me a rum and coke please.”

“Um…okay.” Jim stood up and followed Aidan to the bar.

“So you work at Dunder Mifflin?” Aidan asked while they waited at the bar for the drinks.

“Yeah…” Jim said through gritted teeth.

That sounds great. Pam said it was a good place to work.”

“It has it’s moments.” Jim thought that he would rather stick toothpicks in his eye than stand here and talk to Pam’s new boyfriend, but he didn’t see any around. Jim wasn’t normally a guy that looked for trouble. He had only been in one fight in his life and that was in 5th grade. He didn’t know why he had such an instant dislike for the guy. He was nice, but he was just another person that had the one thing he wanted more than anything. They stood in silence for a minute. Jim kept glancing over at Aidan, trying to figure out the kinks in his armor. Finally he turned to him and asked, “How well do you know Pam?”

Aidan smiled. This was what he was waiting for. “Oh, we know each other pretty well. She is a great girl. Lots of fun to hang around with.”

Jim stiffened. Making small talk with this guy was going to be harder than he thought.

“So you know her from work?” Aidan asked.

“Well that and she’s my best friend….” Jim blurted out and then paused. “Well used to be anyways.”

Aidan looked at him curiously, “Used to be?”

Jim nodded as the bartender handed him the drinks. “People change….” he said softly. “Sometimes for the worse. Sometimes for the better, which is what Pam did.”

“I am lucky to have her in my life.” Aidan took his drinks from bartender. “Well it was nice talking with you Jim.”

Jim watched as he walked back to Pam and handed her the drink.

“So Aidan, tell me about your job. It sounds so interesting.” Karen said.

Pam stared at her for a moment. Was she flirting? In front of Jim. She glanced at Jim, but he was staring at the table cloth and didn’t seem to notice.

“Well….” Aidan said. “Basically I work under the head of public relations for the entire company. I write up news statements for the media, comment on a potential scandal, make sure the company looks its best at all times. So, basically, I'm a spin doctor.”

“Wow! That sounds awesome. I bet you get to see a lot of cool places.” Karen said sipping her drink.

“It has it’s perks.” Aidan turned to Pam and smiled. “I work mainly out of Boston, but I am in New York a lot.”

“Oh I love Boston!” Karen turned to Jim. “We should go to Boston soon Jim!”

“Boston is overrated.” Jim grumbled taking a long drink.

They all sat in silence for awhile sipping their drinks and watching people dance. Eventually Phyllis and Bob Vance made their way over to the table.

“Pam! You look fantastic!” Phyllis said.

“Thank you. I love your dress.” Pam said with a glance at Aidan. He covered his mouth with his hand to stifle a laugh. Jim glared at him.

“Thank you!” Phyllis said.

“You really do look beautiful Phyllis.” Pam said genuinely. Even though Phyllis had stolen all of her wedding ideas, Pam realized that it didn’t matter. They were all ideas for a wedding that had never happened and Phyllis did look beautiful.

“Who is your…friend?” Phyllis asked with a smile.

“Oh sorry…” Pam said. “This is Aidan. Aidan this is Phyllis and Bob.”

“Bob Vance, Vance Refrigeration.” Bob said sticking out his hand.

“It’s a pleasure to meet you both.” Aidan said. “It was a beautiful wedding.”

“Thank you!” Phyllis said with sounding pleased. “Pam…this is a good one!”

Jim took another long drink from his glass. This was going to be a long night. He shifted in his chair and took a deep breath to try and relax. They were all startled by a loud squeal that could only belong to one person.

“Oh My God Pam!” Kelly ran up to their table dragging Ryan a long behind her. “Your dress looks fabulous! I saw one just like it in US weekly!” She stopped to take a breath and then looked at Aidan. “You two look sooooo sweet together! You will have the prettiest babies with each other.” Aidan cast Pam an amused look. She had warned him about Kelly.

Jim couldn’t take it anymore. He pushed his chair back from the table loudly eliciting stares from everyone. He turned to Karen and held out his hand. “Lets go dance.”

“Okay!” she said happily.

Phyllis and Bob chatted with Pam a few more minutes before moving on to the next table. Once they had left Pam sat back down and Aidan pulled his chair closer to her.

“Wow….” Pam said. “I can’t believe I’m making you suffer through this!”

“It’s fine.” Aidan smiled. “Pam…seriously though. That guy is hopelessly in love with you. I was scared he was going to stab me with  a sharp instrument from the bar.”

“Oh stop.” Pam laughed.

“I’m serious! You didn’t notice the way he’s been looking at me all night. I thought that was bad and then we actually spoke to each other. I felt like I should've bundled up or something. The guy was cold to me. You did what you set out to do, you made him jealous.”

Pam sighed. “Doesn’t feel exactly like I thought it would.” she said her eyes beginning to glisten with tears.

“I know…” Aidan said softly and pulled Pam into a gentle hug.

Jim looked up just in time to see Aidan wrap his arms around Pam. He felt a lump form in his throat and he was embarrassed by the fact that he could feel his eyes filling with tears. He quickly blinked them away before Karen could notice.

After a couple of songs Karen led him back to the table. She immediately took out her phone and started texting some more. Jim was grateful that Oscar came over to talk to him so that he wouldn’t have to watch Pam and Aidan who were engaged in a deep, whispered discussion. When he finally looked in their direction again they had left and gone onto the dance floor. Jim tried to be interested in Oscar’s story, but his eyes kept drifting over to them dancing. He had only seen Pam dance a couple of times, but he thought that she was the cutest dancer he had ever seen. He loved the fact that she wasn’t all flashy about it, but she always looked like she was having fun.

Eventually Pam and Aidan made their way back to the table. Pam sat down, her cheeks flushed from dancing. Karen tried to make small talk again with Aidan, but was interrupted when her phone rang…loudly.

“Oh sorry!” she said. “I have to take this.” She stood up and hurried out of the room. Aidan saw this as an opportunity. He leaned close to Pam and whispered in her ear. “Ask him…now.” Then he stood up and said, “If you’ll excuse me, I have to use the restroom.”

Jim wouldn’t look at her. He just kept his eyes glued to the door that Karen had disappeared out of. Pam knew this was her chance…maybe her only chance. She shifted in her chair and then lightly cleared her throat. That seemed to get his attention because he glanced at her and then quickly looked away again.

“Jim…” she said softly. After a long minute he finally turned towards her.

“Do you want to dance?” she asked as a slow song started in the background.

He just looked at her for a minute. A heartbreaking look. She took a deep breath. Finally without saying a word he stood up, walked around to her side of the table and held out his hand. She smiled and took it, a chill suddenly running through her body. He gently led her out onto the dance floor. She rested her hands on his broad shoulders and he lightly placed his hands on her waist. She could tell he was being careful, that he was afraid of what this meant. He moved her slowly to the beat of the music. The heat of his hands seared through her dress. She leaned a little bit closer to him and he slid his hands a little farther around her. She was close enough that she could smell his cologne and he smelled just like she always thought he would. She wondered if he could tell that her heart was beating a million miles an hour, threatening to burst out of her chest at what she was feeling at that moment. She finally dared to look up at him and almost went weak in the knees to see that he was gazing down at her intently, almost as if he was waiting, hoping that she would say something. She knew he had already opened his heart enough. Now it was her turn. She hoped that he couldn’t feel her trembling, but almost as if in an attempt to reassure her his hands slid farther around her waist and he pulled her slightly closer.

“Jim…I just wanted to say that I’m sorry.”

He didn’t speak. Just waited for her to continue.

I am sorry for so many things. The reason that I didn’t go to get coffee with you is because…I thought…” she could feel her voice wavering, but she continued. “I just…I didn‘t trust myself. I know that you are in a relationship….and I really just want you to be happy…with whoever that may be…even if it isn‘t me.” Their eyes locked and she continued. “You were my best friend before you went to Stamford and I really missed you. I just…I really miss you.”

The song ended and another started, but he didn‘t let go of her. Finally he spoke.

“Pam…” his voice was thick and deep, almost like it had been that night. “I…I’ve missed you too. Really. More than you know. It’s just…I left because I wanted to be…not here. I couldn’t take it anymore. I can’t go back to that. There is just so much…I just don’t think I can do this anymore.”

“I know….” Pam said softly. “I know.”

They didn’t speak again, just held on to each other. Every so often she would look up at him and their eyes would meet and her heart would flutter. Tears began to fill her eyes again. She knew that soon this Cinderella moment would be over. He noticed the glisten in her eyes and carefully reached up and touched her cheek. She just sniffled and shook her head. He wrapped both arms tighter around her and leaned down so that his cheek brushed against her soft hair. He wanted to hold her forever, wanted to tell her that he was in love with her and that he wanted to try again, but the wall he had carefully constructed around his heart wasn’t going to crumble that easily. It was then that he lifted his head and his eyes locked….with Karen’s. She was standing by the bar, her phone in one hand, just staring at them. He quickly straightened up and released his grip on Pam. She looked in the direction that he was, saw Karen and quickly let go of him. Luckily she saw Aidan standing off to the side. She looked at Jim once more and whispered, “I’m sorry.” before hurrying off leaving Jim standing in the middle of the dance floor, hands hanging limply by his sides. He couldn’t look at Karen when she came to stand next to him.

“Did you have a good dance?” she asked sarcastically.

“Karen….don’t.” he said softly.

Karen had stopped in her tracks when she reentered the reception hall, her eyes glued on the image in front of her. She saw Jim, moving slowly, arms wrapped around Pam, a look on his face that Karen had never seen before. She saw Pam look up at him and her heart dropped into her knees. He was in love with her. She could see it in his eyes, even from across the room. She couldn’t believe that she had never seen it before. The changes in Jim that she had seen over the past couple months were because of Pam. Karen knew that he had never once looked at her the way that he was looking at Pam right now.

“I need a drink.” Karen said.

“Fine…” without another word Jim walked towards the bar leaving Karen standing on the dance floor.

Aidan had watched Pam ask Jim to dance. He had watched the tender way that Jim had put his arms around her. He was happy, proud of Pam for actually doing it. He opened his phone and sent a quick text to Natalee, **She’s dancing with him**. However, shortly after he looked up again and saw both Jim and Pam looking across the room…at Karen. Pam quickly let go of Jim and hurried towards Aidan, tears beginning to slowly make their way down her cheeks.

“Lets go.” she said quietly.

“Okay.” Aidan said. He went to the table, grabbed their coats and led Pam out of the room. Her head was bowed and the tears were coming faster.

Jim was standing on the bar trying to control the throbbing in his chest, but it just worsened when he saw her hurry out, with Aidan. It took every ounce of self control he had to not go after her, grab her and kiss her. He wanted to be the one to stop her tears, but instead he stayed at the bar, grateful for the momentary happiness but coming to the crushing realization that that their dance, the one they've done for years, was only fleeting and would never last.

Chapter End Notes:
Reviews are almost as good as John's forearms....almost. So Review!! Please!!!

Some Visuals if you want

http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg148/jinxcoke/AidanCar.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg148/jinxcoke/Aidan.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg148/jinxcoke/KarensDress.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg148/jinxcoke/PAMSHOESPW.jpg
http://i247.photobucket.com/albums/gg148/jinxcoke/PamsDressWedding.jpg

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans