- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Same disclaimer.

And same thanks to elly who helped with revising it and helping me get over the writers block I had for this chapter.  Plus her line from Dwight inspired me to write the rest of that scene.

It was mid September and JJ, Lizzie and Jim had been living together for almost two months. As the three spent more and more time together the pain of losing Jon and Lily had lessened. There were still moments that were harder than others, but Jim seemed to pull all three out. Every week had been a new and exciting adventure. Jim was beginning to grasp how to properly pull Lizzie's hair into a ponytail and he found his old basketball so that JJ could start learning how to play.

One of the tougher aspects of September was going back to school, for all three of them. Lizzie had just started kindergarten and she still didn't like going to school by herself, but she had made one good friend so she was starting to like it more. JJ who had just started fourth grade was better; he had all his old friends and even though he found some of the math work difficult, Jim was able to help him with most of it. Getting back into the groove of school was a difficult adjustment, to say the least. Jim applied and got into college for some writing and journalism courses. He went three times a week at night, but slowly he was finding out just how much he had enjoyed lectures and he was actually really good at writing.

The three also spent more and more nights with Pam. On weekends the four would go out for breakfast maybe see a movie, go to the park where Pam and Lizzie would swing while Jim taught JJ on the basketball court or just play board games if the weather was bad. Pam also baby-sat for Jim on his school nights, her art classes were every Wednesday at 6 and Saturday mornings so she was willing and always available to baby-sit. She would come over early and they would eat dinner and then Jim would leave. Pam, JJ and Lizzie would then do homework and when that was done they usually played games or watched a movie. Pam always looked forward to these nights, she was able to be a kid again and even just for a few hours JJ and Lizzie would have fun without thinking about their loss.

The most interesting part for Jim and Pam though spending all that time together was discovering the feelings that they had for each other.

When Pam would watch Jim tuck in JJ and Lizzie her heart would swell and she imagined him tucking in their kids, she always quickly brushed the image away. More and more however she noticed her growing attraction to him physically, he was tall, slender but she knew from their hugs he was toned and had more muscle than one would expect seeing him on the street, even though his face wasn’t the traditional type of handsome there was something in his eyes and his smile that gave Pam butterflies. This was all made more perfect by his amazing personality and the fact that he could make her laugh at almost anything. The only thing was she didn’t want to rush into a new relationship, even though it had been almost 10 months since ending the seven year long relationship with Roy she was enjoying her independence and being on her own was something she was really starting to revel in. She also didn’t want to start something that wouldn’t just affect her heart but the hearts of two you kids. She was quickly falling in love with the kids and she didn’t want to break their hearts or her own if something were to go wrong with Jim.

Jim just like Pam was noticing how every time she entered a room his stomach would tighten. He had developed a crush on her when he started, but it quickly went away when he heard about her boyfriend. But when he helped her through her tough times those feelings came back and had taken root, but even in those months before the accident he knew not to make a move because he saw that she was just trying to be on her own and he didn’t want to stop her from trying something new. Now though spending days with her he saw her beauty both inside and out, and he saw how she would glow when Lizzie or JJ did something amusing. It was though JJ and Lizzie that were now making him reconsider jumping into a new relationship. He knew that if he and Pam did go out they could be blissfully happy, but he was worried that JJ and Lizzie might think that Jim and Pam might be trying to replace their parents and he also didn’t want them getting to attached to someone new and then by some chance of fate or a terrible fight they break up and the kids go through another loss. At least as friends they wouldn’t have the extra pressure of trying to make it work for the sake of the kids.

Because the two of them felt these doubts neither made a move to push their relationship further. They flirted and made little comments, but when it would head into dangerous territory one of them would break it off with a light hearted comment about Dwight or Michael and the conversation would be changed. However there were those glances, and bright smiles that would make something inside them tighten, and their coworkers and JJ and Lizzie all took notice of blush that would rush to Pam and Jim’s cheeks.

It was now the end of September and JJ and Lizzie were having a PA day at school. Jim had called into work saying that he was going to be coming in for the afternoon and if it was okay to bring the kids with him. Michael immediately said yes and proceeded to explain to Jim how good he was with kids and how at night he would plan out his dream family. Jim on the other end of the phone listened to Michael almost break down into tears as he explains how one of his dream kids get sick and then he has to give up his kidney to save him, before Michael could say anymore Jim cut in and said that he had to go make breakfast and Michael let him go.

It was 12:30 as Jim, JJ and Lizzie entered the office, the two kids looked around shyly but when they saw Pam they ran behind her tall desk, hugged her and hid. Jim walked over, "Hey you two. You can't hide behind Pam's desk all day, you have to come out and say hi." The two faces turned away from Jim and Looked eagerly up at Pam as if she would allow them to hide behind the desk all day.

"Sorry you two. I have to agree with your Uncle Jim, you can't hide out here.”
“Thank you Pam.” Jim smiled.
“Well you know I can’t say to the cute uncle.” Both Pam and Jim blushed at the comment and Pam quickly changed the subject back to the kids. “If you two want I will come with you and then you can get all the Jelly Bellies you want."

"Yes! I love Jelly Bellies." JJ said. Lizzie didn't respond, she just grabbed Pam's hand and they walked out from behind the desk.

Just as they were heading to the break room Kelly caught a glimpse of JJ and Lizzie through the kitchen window and ran out.

"OH MY GOD! They are soooo cute. Jim they look exactly like you!!! You are so lucky that you got them, I mean not how you got them but that you are the one who looks after them and you got them at the perfect age. I mean they know how to talk and they can do things themselves and you don't have to worry about changing diapers. Of course though you missed out on them being cute little babies. I just wish I could have my own kids now but only as a little babies and then have someone else raise them until they get to an age where they can do things for themselves. I couldn't deal with the crying and whining and toilet training. Oh you are just so lucky."

She bent down to look at Lizzie who was hiding behind Pam because of the barrage that Kelly had just unleashed. As Kelly flitted off to the annex to tell Toby about how cute JJ and Lizzie are Michael walked out of his office. He was on his way to the kitchen and almost ran over JJ in haste. Michael stopped and just stared at the boy and then looked at Lizzie still behind Pam.

"Hi. I'm Michael. Me and Jim here are like brothers so you guys can just call me Uncle Mikey."

JJ raised his eyebrows in surprise, almost a classic Jim face and said, "That's ok. I think I'll just call you Michael."

"Oh too bad, I'm a really fun uncle, probably more fun than Jim over here. Hey there Lizzie Lizard, do you want to come help me organize my office toys?" Lizzie looked at him and then quickly shook her head.

Just as Michael was about to ask another question Jim cut him off. "Ok well Michael me and Pam are just going to take them to the break room to grab some snacks."

The four walked off leaving Michael standing outside his office slightly disappointed that he couldn’t get the kids to call him uncle Mikey or hang out with him. In the break room they found Dwight finishing his lunch.

“Hello tiny ones. My name is Dwight K. Schrute and I work with your uncle. Question: Do both of you have slacker tendencies like Jim?”

“Actually Dwight these two are not slackers at all. They work three times as hard as me and probably two times as hard as you.”
“No one works harder than me Jim. I have the highest sales record. I work from home the weekends, after tending the beets and I work through holidays. So that makes me the hardest worker.”
“Well Dwight these two are actually in training to be spies.”
“What?! They are too young to be spies.”
“Yeah well Lizzie is, but JJ just started his training at SKI.”
“I don’t believe you, go on.”
“Well I really shouldn’t tell you. Let me ask JJ if it is ok.” Jim bent and whispered in JJ’s ear. JJ nodded in response. “Ok he gave me the all clear to tell you about it. SKI or Spy Kids International is a top secret world organization that trains kids to be spies. They have them all over the world. I was freaked out when they came to the door requesting JJ. I went and tried to look them up online but there was nothing. When I asked about that they told me it was for the kid’s protection. So now on weekends JJ goes for training.”
Dwight was silent thinking it over. “I can’t see why they chose him he looks so weak, so does she.”
Pam jumped in, “Actually Dwight it helps if the kids don’t look all muscles and bulk. It helps with their blending in with society. And they said JJ has the potential of leading a team on a mission soon, and when Lizzie is old enough to be a great leader.” Jim smiled over at Pam and gave her a wink, she blushed and looked away.
“Well when I have children they will be even harder workers than these two and be admitted into the program earlier.” He turned to JJ, “Now give me the address or phone number so I can contact them to let them know to leave spots open for the children of Dwight Schrute.”
“I’m sorry Mr. Schrute, but that is classified information. If I told you I would have to kill you. Plus the agency will find you when they need you.” At that moment JJ’s watch beeped. “Uncle Jim that is code to call in, can I use your phone?”
“Sure. Let’s go. See you later Dwight.”

After leaving Dwight stumped and a little angry in the break room, the rest of the afternoon passed uneventfully. Jim was working, making three large sales. Pam taught JJ how to use the shredding machine and gave him a stack of documents to shred which he seemed to enjoy. Pam had Lizzie help her organize the files by her desk. Dwight suspiciously watched these activities. He had listened to JJ’s phone call before and became convinced of spy activity, he was watching to make sure the top secret company documents were not taken by the pint sized spies. Jim also like Dwight looked over at the three of them. He saw the smiles on all their faces, he heard the occasional laugh from Pam and Lizzie and in those moments he got the feeling that he could spend the rest of his life with the three of them having fun and enjoying each other's company. Pam looked up and gave him a huge smile and it was in this moment that Jim started to feel something deeper from Pam. He knew that he liked her, but it was more than that he knew he was starting to fall in love with her. But then Dwight said something- about how beets are essential to the growth of pre-pubescent children, especially ones that are in training- to interrupt his day dream.

At 5pm Jim, JJ and Lizzie left the office. They were going out for dinner tonight and Pam had said that she might join them for dessert after her art class. It was 7:30 when Pam met them at Cooper’s; they had just put their dessert orders in. Jim had ordered her a cappuccino and Jim offered to share his Chocolate Chip cheesecake with her. Pam smiled warmly at Jim. As they ate dessert they joked about the spy prank on Dwight, and how scary both Michael and Kelly could be. Pam said very little but watched Jim with the kids and she saw a man who would be a great father, and something inside her changed. She suddenly felt warm and flustered and realized that maybe what she felt for Jim was more than a crush; maybe it was the real thing. Jim made a flirty comment towards Pam and she quickly responded with her own. Both felt the colour rise in their cheeks, JJ and Lizzie looked at them, looked at each other and smiled.

Chapter End Notes:

A little R&R never hurt anyone.

up next: Jim's away, Pam has the kids and maybe a little Jam.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans