- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:

Sorry it's been a while. I had serious writer's block and just nothing inspired me until Dinner Party, that and exams have just been crazy.

Thanks to everyone who has read or reviewed this story. I hope that you enjoy this chapter. Oh the updates after this should be fairly quick, because the story is almost over. 

At the end of November Jim had handed in both his papers and now it was December and he was just waiting to find out his marks. As well as November got colder and December came JJ and Lizzie both got colds. Jim was actually handled taking care of the two sick children very well. He had of course Pam there to help when things got a little tougher and also to make her delicious chicken noodle soup for the kids. She also was an enormous help when he himself got sick for a few days. She took and picked up the kids from school and even though he was sick she would still spend time sitting with him in his bed watching TV or just talking. After Jim recovered he had taken Pam out for a thank you dinner, however because he had hired a baby sitter he had to go home and the two of them could not spend the night together. That was one of the down sides to having the two kids. Whenever Jim and Pam wanted to be alone or spend the night together it was almost impossible. There was the occasional night when they wouldn’t go out at all and spend the evening in Pam’s bed making love and eating and then Jim would go home, but even those nights were few, but Pam and Jim had learned to deal with it. 

However Jim wasn’t worrying about his relationship with Pam or the marks that he was waiting for from school, he was more concerned about preparing Christmas for JJ and Lizzie. This was going to be the first one with Jon and Lily and he wanted it to be special, it was also his first Christmas with Pam and he wanted to get her something memorable. 

Everyday at work Pam had been getting more and more excited about Christmas and winter in general. Jim could see her happiness and it bubbled over into his happiness. She had told him that winter was her second favourite season after fall because the blankets of snow that cover everything, and her most favourite thing tobogganing and then sitting around with mugs of hot chocolate and watching different Christmas movies or listening to Christmas carols. She had been even more excited Christmas this year after helping Jim and the kids decorate his place and then her place. She was going to share with JJ and Lizzie some of her favourite Christmas movies including A Christmas Story, How the Grinch Stole Christmas, Miracle on 34th Street, It’s a Wonderful Life and The Nightmare Before Christmas (Pam had watched twice a year, every since it came out, once on Halloween and then at Christmas). She had also decided on what to get the two kids and Jim, and his gift was really important as she wanted to reflect her dreams for him and her love for him as well. 

It was the last day at work, before the almost two week long break that everyone was getting for the holidays, and Michael’s Christmas Party was in full swing. Jim saw Pam leaning on her desk and sauntered over and leaned next to her. They were careful not to show too much affection at work. They didn’t want any inappropriate comments from Michael or anyone else and also they enjoyed keeping the secret.

“So Beesly ready for the holidays?”

“Yeah!” She said so enthusiastically that Jim chuckled. “I can’t wait to go home to see my parents and my family that are coming over for Christmas lunch. Oh and I am really excited for our December 26th Christmas Extravaganza. I really hope that there is snow that day so we can go tobogganing.”

Jim just stared down at Pam and wondered how he got to be so lucky that Pam was in his life. “Yeah JJ and Lizzie are really excited about that two. They can’t wait for you to open the gift that they got you.”

“They didn’t have to get me anything.”

“They really wanted to. Lizzie told me straight up that they were more excited about what they got you than what they got me.”

“Well I can’t wait. Hey look it’s twenty after six do you want to leave and join Larissa and the kids at home. I really can’t stand to hear Dwight sing another carol.”

“Sure. Let’s get out of here.”

They said their goodbyes and wished everyone Happy Holidays and went to Jim’s where they found Larissa and the kids about to watch How the Grinch Stole Christmas. The two of them joined the other three in the living room and settled in for a night of Jim Carrey comedy as the Grinch.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

On the 26th Lizzie bounded into Jim’s room and jumped on his bed.

“Wake up Uncle Jim! Pam’s coming soon.”

Jim looked at the clock and the red numbers showed that it was only 9:30 am and Pam would not be at the house until one.

“Lizzie it’s still early. Pam isn’t going to be here for a couple more hours. Why don’t you go back to sleep for a bit?”

“I can’t I’m not sleepy.”

“Ok well then what do you want to do so early in the morning?”

“Can we make some cookies for Pam when she comes.”

“Sure I think that I have some cookie mix somewhere.” 

Jim picked up his niece and carried her into the kitchen and set her down on the table and grabbed everything that he needed including the  chocolate chip cookie mix, the bowl and the eggs. Jim let Lizzie pour the mix into the bowl as he added the eggs and the butter, then let her stir it until it was ready. They had just put the tray full of cookies in the oven when JJ came out of his room rubbing the sleep out of his eyes.

“What are you guys making?”

“Cookies for Pam.” Lizzie answered licking some left over cookie dough off her finger.

“Nice. When is she coming over Uncle Jim?”

“She said that she would be here around one.” Jim knew that it was a two hour drive back to Scranton from her parents and with the roads being slippery from the past two days of snow he knew it would take a little longer. “Ok well since both of you are up let’s clean up a little and then wash up before Pam comes.”

            JJ and Lizzie went into the living room and began picking up the stray pieces wrapping paper that had been discarded from furiously unwrapping presents yesterday. Jim cleaned up after the baking the mess and took the now golden cookies out of the oven and set them to cool. He then wiped down the rest of the kitchen and then joined JJ and Lizzie with a garbage bag in the living room for all the garbage they collected. It was around 11:30 when the cleaning was done and Lizzie went to wash up. JJ went for a shower after her while Jim helped Lizzie get dressed and then pull her hair up into a pony tail. After helping Lizzie Jim went to set out his jeans and sweater for the day and then jumped into the shower. He shaved and ran his fingers through his damp hair, his version of combing it. He got dressed and then joined the two kids in the living room where they all placed their presents for Pam under the tree.

            It was just after one when they heard the front door open and heard Pam call out.

“Merry Christmas! Where is every one?”

When JJ and Lizzie heard this they took off towards the door. They practically tackled Pam when they both went in for hugs. Jim hung back just to watch the exchange. Pam was beautiful. Her cheeks were rosy from the cold, her eyes were sparkling and the smile plastered on her face was indescribable. After hugging JJ and Lizzie she stood erect and gave Jim a smile and then walked over to him.

“Merry Christmas.” She wrapped her arms around his neck and kissed him. Jim’s arms immediately wound around her waist and he deepened the kiss. They broke the kiss when they heard a sound of disgust come from JJ. Pam grabbed Jim’s hand and led him into the living room. Lizzie was already bouncing around, excited for Pam to see what her and JJ had gotten her. Pam sat on the floor and rested her back against the couch, Jim sat beside her.

“So what did you two get from Santa this year?”

Lizzie answered first. “I got two new Barbie’s, a jump rope, a big girl bike and sparkly helmet.”

“Wow. When the weather is nice we can all go for bike rides. What about you JJ?”

“Well I got the skateboard that I really wanted, a couple of interesting books, and a couple DVDs and an iPod.”

“Nice. So what did your uncle here get you?”

At the question Lizzie ran from the living room. Pam gave Jim a concerned look, Jim shot one back that said ‘don’t worry’. JJ then answered, “He gave me a couple cds from my Dad’s collection and that he said were essential to my growing up and for Lizzie he got her a photo album of her, Mom and Dad.”

That’s when Lizzie re-entered the room. “This is what he got both of us. His name’s Chester.” Pam saw that Lizzie was holding a black and white Kitten, Pam smiled at Jim and went over to pet Chester. “What inspired this? Have you been spending time with Angela, Halpert?”

“Nope, but that is where I got the kitten. Ok Lizzie I think you should put Chester back so that we can give out more presents.” When Lizzie heard Jim say that her face lit up and she ran from the room again, she returned within a matter of seconds.

“Ok well first how ‘bout you two open what I got you.”

            Pam went into her bag and pulled out two gifts. She handed the one in pink wrapping to Lizzie and the one in Ninja Turtle wrapping to JJ. JJ let Lizzie go first. She opened the first part which was a book on teaching how to do different hairstyles. Pam knew that it was a little advanced for Lizzie, but she also knew that it would be useful for Jim and later on Lizzie could learn how to try out some of the styles. The second part of the gift was a Polly Pocket play set which included a house and a couple of the dolls. Lizzie let out a little squeal at the present and then practically jumped into Pam’s lap to give her a thank you hug. When Lizzie had settled JJ opened his. The first again was a book, this book though was an art book on teaching how to draw comic book heroes and villains. JJ was really pleased with that he couldn’t wait to start drawing. The second was a Transformers video game for his PSP. JJ gave Pam a hug as well, Jim was happy that the two kids enjoyed their gifts and that Pam had picked out the most perfect things. He leaned over and whispered that in her ear and then placed a kiss on her temple.

            After that tender moment Lizzie announced that it’s time for Pam to open her gift. Pam smiled and shrugged her shoulders and she acted like she was a kid again. JJ spoke just before she unwrapped the present. “So this is from me and Lizzie, and well Uncle Jim helped a little.” Pam gingerly unwrapped the gift. The top present was a coffee table art book. It was filled with different artist’s paintings and descriptions of the artists. The second part brought tears to her eyes. It was a black and white photograph and a simple black frame. The image was two separate photos that had been combined to almost blend into one. The right hand image was Pam sitting next to JJ, both were working on different art projects. The left hand picture was Pam sitting behind Lizzie braiding her hair and Lizzie was reading through a Dr. Seuss book.

“Oh wow you guys. This is amazing, I… thanks you two.” Pam enveloped JJ and Lizzie in a hug.

“Yeah Uncle Jim helped me with the Photoshop for the picture and Lizzie thought that you would really like the book.”

“I love them both.” She hugged them again and looked over at Jim and mouthed ‘thank you’. “Ok well since it is nice and snowy today and the sun is out do you guys want to go tobogganing?”

“Yes! Yes! Yes!”

“Ok you two get ready and me and your uncle here will clean up.” JJ and Lizzie went to grab their snow gear and Pam crawled over and cuddled up to Jim. “That was really sweet of them and you for helping them.” She kissed his jaw.

Jim looked down at Pam and said, “I have something for you too, but would you mind if I give it to you when we get back?”

“Sounds perfect since I have something for you too.”

The rest of the afternoon was spent sledding at the golf course where the hills were perfect for them. When it started to get dark they all headed back to Jim’s where everyone changed into pyjamas, Nightmare before Christmas was put on and everyone snuggled in with cookies and hot chocolate. The busy day meant that JJ and Lizzie were out before Jack Skellington even took off to deliver the presents. Jim and Pam put them to bed and returned to the living room.

“So before we fall asleep ourselves I want to give you my gift.” Pam said reaching for the large package behind her bag and then a smaller one from in her bag. He opened the smaller package first. It was a leather spiral notebook, he opened to the first page and it read:

For all your future brilliant writing ideas. You will be great.
I love you,
Pam

“Thanks Pam, this is going to be really great for my short story writing class.” Next he went to open the larger package. It was plainly wrapped in a cloth and tied with a string. He pulled the string and lifted the cloth and he was met with a brightly covered canvas. The painting was the one that Pam had been working on since the end of November. She had snapped a picture of Jim and the kids napping on the couch and that was what she painted. Jim was silent for several minutes, he just admired the image and his heart swelled at the love he felt for Pam and for the kids. Pam watched Jim’s expression as he looked; she watched as he scrutinized it and then as his expression changed to love. He turned to her,

“Pam this is simply amazing. I just I knew that you were a great artist, but this is just wonderful. Thank you so much for the gift.” Before she had a chance to answer he leaned in and kissed her. It started of tentative as a thank you, but he quickly deepened it and Pam opened her mouth to him as he pushed her further down onto the couch. Just as Pam was going to pull off Jim’s shirt he stilled her hands.

“We can’t do this here Beesly. Plus I still have to give you your present.”

“I thought this was my present.”

“I knew it. You only think of me as an object.”

“Obviously, I only hang around because I love your body.”

Jim kissed her again and then pulled her up off the couch. “Come on. Your present is in my room.”

“I knew it.” She smirked.

Jim held her hand as he led her to his room. She sat on his bed as he went to get her gift from his closet. He came back with two packages one was small and the other was about the size of her lap. He handed her the larger one first and she opened it. It was a set of new paint brushes, charcoal, artists colour pencils and water colours. Pam had mentioned that she had needed new art supplies and the fact that Jim remembered and had gotten her top quality was beyond what she had expected. “Jim I can’t believe you got me these. These are like the best kind and now I am itching to use them.” Her hand running over the row of brushes and she leaned over and kissed Jim on the cheek. Next he handed her a small box, by the shape of it Pam knew what was inside. She was scared, shocked that this was moving so fast and the tears that pooled in her eyes threatened to fall as she looked up at Jim. He saw the fear in her eyes and knew that he had to explain. He took the box from her and opened it; inside was a simple silver band with a ruby (Pam’s birthstone) stone.

“Pam I can tell that you thought this was a different kind of ring, but this ring is a promise from me to you. I know that it seems a little rushed, but I have known you for years now, you’re my best friend and I just wanted to let you know that I love you. I’m in love with you.”

Pam didn’t speak for a minute she just gazed at the promise ring and then back at Jim. “Jim I… this is the most… thank you… I’m in love with you too.” She smiled as Jim took the ring and slid it down her finger. It was beautiful and against Pam’s pale skin the ruby really glowed. Jim brushed Pam’s hair out of her eyes and brought his lips in for another kiss. This kiss was passion and love and lead to Jim and Pam making love on top of his comforter.

            After they snuggled under Jim’s covers and their breathing returned to normal Pam rested her hand on Jim’s chest. She looked at how the ring sparkled in the minimal light from the street lamp. Jim placed kisses on her forehead and Pam moved in closer to Jim’s warm body. They lay awake whispering words of love, talking about each other, about the kids and about the future and what ever that would bring.



PokerChips is the author of 11 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 8 members. Members who liked Raising Jim Halpert also liked 2337 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans