- Text Size +

 

“This is really weird.” Pam clutched the folder to her chest, as they sat outside Stephen Laurie’s office.

“You think?” Jim answered as coolly as possible, just as he had to all of her questions on the ride over.

“Yeah, I mean…I’m not complaining or anything…” she smiled at him warmly, “…but I’ve never been on a sales call before.”

“Well, it shouldn’t take long, anyway.”

“Okay…” she trailed away as she looked casually around the waiting room.

However, in a matter of a couple seconds, the receptionist called Jim’s name, and they stood up together.

“You ready?” He asked playfully, with raised eyebrows and wide-eyes.

“Um, yeah I guess….” She answered, confusion returning to her face.


--

--


“Hello, hello…Halpert, right?” Stephen Laurie, a man in his early sixties, with a blue sweater vest, and a slightly hunched posture, shuffled from behind his desk to greet them as they entered the office.

“Yes, sir. And this is…” He shook Stephen’s hand and then gestured to Pam graciously, “is Pam Beesly…our Junior Sales Associate. The best new saleswoman in the office.”

Pam’s eyes went wide, and her face drained of any color at his words. Jim tried desperately not to laugh as Stephen shook her limply offered hand.

“Best new saleswoman in the office, eh?” Stephen parroted to her, but Pam stood motionless, her gaze fixated on Jim.

After a couple seconds of awkward silence, Jim tried to break it as smoothly as possibly. “Absolutely, Mr. Laurie. We wanted to make sure you got the best people we have after the problems with the website.”

Stephen’s attention, and slowly concerned expression regarding Pam’s sudden immobility, shifted towards Jim and back to the problem at hand.

“Yes, yes. That damn thing.” He walked back slowly to his desk, and sat behind it. “Makes me want to use Staples or Office Depot, you know?” He said knowingly, and challengingly.

“Well…” Jim sat down as he spoke, as did Pam, who still said nothing. But, with a quick sideways glance he could tell she had quickly processed what was going on. That she understood a prank well enough to know when she was the victim of one.

“….Sir, I can assure you, that we are here in person to make sure that there are absolutely no errors or mistakes, and of course…” he motioned in the air, cleaving an arc in front of him. “We can offer you a discount…because the mistake was ours.”

“Hmmm.” Stephen sat back in his chair a little in contemplation. His fingers pressed together and steepled under his chin.

“And…Miss Beesly can tell you more…because this really is her perspective account.”

Jim smiled widely, and overly warmly at Pam. She smirked back at him knowingly, and then cleared her throat.

“Um, yes…Mr. Laurie, Dunder-Mifflin is, I mean….its about people. People who know people.” She stopped quickly, and blinked rapidly, in disbelief at her own words.

“That is so true, Miss Beesly…” Jim picked up, the joy in so completely fooling Pam evident in the lightness in which he spoke them. “….Dunder-Mifflin is about people, with people…and also, you know, helping people.”

“Um, yes thank you Mister Halpert….” Pam regained her composure quickly. “What I was trying to say is that the customer service, is you know, very helpful. Kelly Kapoor, who is the head of it, can make sure that any problems that you could have….are solved.”

Pam looked over at Jim, and quickly lifted her eyebrows playfully.

“Miss Beesly, are you saying that I’m going to have further problems?” Stephen asked.

The rush of excitement that Pam had felt, quickly left her. “No! No, sir. What I mean to say is…that Dunder-Mifflin has great customer service, for re-orders….other places can’t match that. Right? How many times do you want to go through a pre-recorded touch….button thing?”

“Yes well, those…are ridiculous. Especially the fact that I have to push One for English! Ridiculous.” Stephen grumbled.

“That is ridiculous. Obviously you speak English.” Pam countered quickly….obviously too quickly.

Jim looked over at her, slightly disbelievingly, and shook his head. She saw him out of the corner of her eye, but refused to look over.

“Well, yes obviously I speak English.”

“Yes…that…yes.” Pam bowed her head slightly, still avoiding Jim.

“Well, sir. We’d very much like to be your paper supplier…...” Jim stepped in; his voice was firm and sure.

As he spoke, Jim heard Pam take a sharp breath next to him, and then interrupt him. “Mr. Laurie. Dunder-Mifflin can provide you with a, um, wide range of products to meet any need that you have. And like my sales associate said, I can promise you that we will do everything to provide you with the best service.”

Jim nodded happily. “Exactly, Miss Beesly.”

“Thank you, Mr. Halpert.” She replied in kind.

“Well….” Stephen drew out, and then he placed his hands on the desk. “I think you’ve sold me on it.”

“Fantastic, well….Miss Beesly has all the paperwork, and we will have you stocked by tomorrow.”

“Very good….” Stephen looked expectantly over at Pam.

“Right! Yes….I do have the paperwork.” Pam opened the folder and sat it on the desk.

After the appropriate signatures, which Jim made sure to sign, hoping that it wouldn’t be noticed, Jim and Pam walked out of the office with a new client.

Before she could say anything…Jim spoke. “So….what do you want to do with your sales commission?”

“I cannot!” Pam looked quickly back at the receptionist, who had perked up slightly at the volume of her voice. She continued in a whisper….”I cannot believe you did that!”

Jim laughed easily, but quietly as he ushered her through the door with his hand on her back. “I know, I know…but you have to admit, you didn’t see it coming right?”

Thankfully, Pam laughed as well. “No! God…I….what was I even saying in there? People helping people?”

“I know, I didn’t realize you became Michael under pressure.”

She shoved his lightly, but he just wrapped his long arm around her, as she leaned in against him while they walked to the car.

“Anyway, that’s not the best part…”

“What’s the best part?” She looked up at his questioningly.

“Well…..”

 


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans