- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Jim on his first day, and Pam at her doctors appointment

By lunchtime, Jim was regretting ever having taken this internship. He was tired, confused, and afraid of screwing up. It’s not like he didn’t know what he was doing…he did, probably more than half the people there, but he just wasn’t fitting in. Granted, it was only his first day, but he was a hard worker and didn’t like feeling useless like he currently did. He was grateful when the clock struck 12, and he practically ran out of the building and out to his car. He wanted to call Pam, but he knew her doctor’s appointment was soon, and he wasn’t sure if he’d catch her in time.

His thoughts drifted to his wife and their unborn baby. Today was the day that they found out if they were having a boy or a girl. ‘I should be there, with her, watching that baby on the monitor, holding Pam’s hand as we find out if Jackson gets a little brother or sister.’ he thought. This is exactly why he didn’t want to take this internship, but Pam-always his voice of reason--reminded him of the time so long ago, that she didn’t go for the internship she wanted, and how much she regretted it. Yeah, 4 weeks will probably be tough, she added, but it’s something that will make all the difference for us in the long run. He tried to remember her wisdom, but it hadn’t even been two days and he was already miserable.

He leaned his head back on his headrest and closed his eyes. "Please just let this get over with." He said outloud to no one.

-----

Pam dropped Jackson off at her neighbor Debbie’s house around noon. Her three-year-old was rather attached to his mommy, so Pam spent a good 10 minutes trying to calm down her wailing son before finally heading back home. “Oh, baby, I hope you’re a little calmer than your big brother.” She said, smiling, while rubbing her swollen stomach.

She missed Jim terribly, but was grateful that she had Jackson to keep her company and take her mind off of his absence. For the last 6 years they hadn’t spent so much as a night apart. They’d spent enough time apart before they started dating, and it was almost as if they were still making up for lost time. Even when Jim traveled away to the paper conventions, she went with him. They had talked about Pam and Jackson joining him in Phoenix, but in the end they decided it was best if they stayed in Philadelphia. Pam was going to fly out to Arizona for the last weekend of his internship, and thinking about it was all she could do to keep from going insane.

Pam cleaned up their house for a few hours before heading off to the doctor. She wished he could be there for this. It was a big moment for them, and she didn’t want to have to go through it alone. Her mom was going to fly out to spend some time with them, but those plans fell through, and she found herself sitting in the waiting room alone.

“Pam Halpert?” The nurse called out.

Pam grabbed her bag and followed the nurse through the door. After being weighed (‘Do I really weight that much?' she thought), she had a seat in the chair next to the ultrasound machine.

Minutes later, Pam watched the monitor in awe as she saw their baby moving around on the screen. Seeing that perfect little angel brought tears to her eyes, and her emotions went even more out of control when the doctor spoke:

“Would you like to know what you’re having?”

“A baby…I hope?” She tried to crack a joke to lighten the mood. “I’m sorry…yes, please.”

“Say hello to your beautiful baby boy.”

“A boy?” She had tears streaming down her face now. “Another little Jim.” Jim…her tears increased as she though about this magical moment, and how he wasn’t here to witness it.

“Is he healthy?” She managed to whisper, between sobs.

“Yes, he’s perfect and right on schedule. Would you like me to print out some pictures?”

“Yeah. For his daddy.”

----------

Jim had had it. His boss, Keith, had given him an assignment that he had finished a hour ago, and now he was trying to fix a mistake that his coworker, Chris, had made. He was just about ready to snap at Chris when a new email popped up on his computer.

From: Pam Halpert

Subject: It’s a….

BOY!

Congratulations, daddy! Wish you were here. Your wife and boys miss you.

Love, Pam

“My boys.” He said outloud with a huge grin plastered to his face.

Chapter End Notes:
Come on, friends. 2 reviews? You can do better than that. This story might not go on like I'd hoped it would...

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans