- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Thanks so much to EllaBella for all her help on this chapter. I'm still fumbling a bit, but I think I'm getting the hang of it. I hope you all love reading this as much as I loved writting it. Plus we get to meet Jim's nephew. Imagine a pint sized Jim.

Disclaimer: I own none of these characters. No copyright infringement is intended.
Her eyes flutter as sleep leaves her body. She turns to the empty space in her bed where his scent still lingers. After today, she would never have to be without him again. It’s her wedding day. The day every little girl dreams of all her life. Even before she realized just how much she loved him, she imagined him there with her. Standing at the altar. Slipping that simple band on her finger. Vowing to love her as long as they both shall live. Looking back, even if she had made it to that June 10th, she thinks she could have never gone through with it. His kiss still radiated on her lips for months afterwards. It would have been most present then. She had stopped herself then. She wouldn’t stop herself now.

Pam rises from her bed and wraps her Victoria’s Secret robe around her. Her feet glide across the carpet as she makes her way to the living room. The moment she come around the corner, she spies her mother waiting with several garment bags lying about.

“I think one of these should work. Where do you want to start?”

“I can’t even begin to know.” Pam sits on the couch taking it all in.

“It really doesn’t matter what you wear. You’re marrying the right man today.” Betty put extreme emphasis on the word ‘right‘.

“Yes, I am. I suppose it wouldn’t hurt to look radiant. You think one of these can help me pull it off?”

Betty pulls a gown from a bag . The gown is the perfect shade of candlelight silk. Pam eyes follow the gown as it floats through the air, coming to rest in front of her mother. Simple. Elegant. Just what she would have chosen for herself. “I thought this one with the one strap across, but I think I’ll have to see it on you to decide.” Betty runs her finger across the sheer silk as tears forms in Pam’s eyes.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sleep eluded him for most of the night, except for the last three hours. His subconscious took him on a journey through feelings of anger, regret, and remorse. The kiss that changed everything. The nights he spent aching for her in Stamford. The way he used Karen as a stand in. How he hurt the one he loved just because she had hurt him. The sadness when their eyes met at Phyllis’s wedding. When he saw her take Roy’s hand. When he realized she had come clean to Roy about their kiss. Wondering why then. The night on the beach, if Karen hadn’t been there, would he of acted differently? A yogurt lid made it all clear. Every sleepless night, every pain stricken moment, would be worth it as soon as he could get to her. When they finally got everything out, how sorry he was. Then their first night together. How she touched him, freed him from years of torture. How he felt like he was making love for the first time. The next day, he bought the ring, then searched for the perfect way to ask her. He had been planning this day since then.

“Uncle Jim! Uncle Jim! Wake up! Wake up!” Little Brody Halpert bounces all over the bed trying to get Jim’s attention.

Jim struggles to sit. “I’m up. You can stop now, Brody.”

“Grandma says come down for breakfast. You need to eat for your big day.”

Jim grabs Brody and pulls him onto his lap. “You tell grandma I’ll be down in a minute.” Jim tickles Brody before he wiggles out of his grasp and down the hall.

Jim stands in his childhood bedroom in front of the floor length mirror. Over the years, Jim had gotten ready for so many special occasions in front of this mirror. Now, it was the most important day of his life so far. His wedding day. He closed his eyes and remembered their last kiss the night before. He savored every second, knowing the next time they kissed, she would be his wife. With a t-shirt and his sleeping pants, as Pam called them, now covering what had been exposed, he makes his way to the kitchen.

Jonathan, Brody, and his mother, Larissa, are seated at the kitchen table when Jim enters.

“There’s still time, little brother. You can take me to Maui instead.”

“Not a chance.” Jim pours his coffee and sits down next to his mother.

“Don’t listen to him, Jimmy. I think it’s just payback for all you did on his wedding day.”

“It was pretty good, you have to admit.” Jim smirks as he takes a sip.

“Putting my car keys in Jell-O to make me late to the church was not what I call a joke.”

Both Larissa and Jim smile and laugh softly.

“What? He could have ruined the remote. The pocket of my tux smelled like cherry Jell-O all day.”

Brody started to giggle.

“Everything turned out fine. Plus it will be a good story to tell your grandchildren some day.” Larissa pats Jonathan on the hand.

“Don’t worry, his is coming. I still have the toast to make.”

“Oh god. It can’t be any worse than Michael’s. You might want to make sure you speak up first.”

“Why are you friends with that guy? I’d never be friends with my boss.”

“He’s a good guy, most of the time. He’s just unique.”

Larissa whispers, “He means gay.”

“No, mom. I didn’t mean that. He’s just.. Michael. It’s hard to explain.”

“Maybe I should just finish making breakfast before it gets too late. Betty already called. I guess it wasn’t a hard sell on the dress. She says, Pam fell in love with the first one she tried on.”

Jim’s head perks at the sound of Pam’s name. “So, things are going as planned?”

“It would seem that way.” Jim smiles as his mother set down his breakfast, his favorite, pancakes with whipped cream and strawberries. “Eat up. We have about an hour before you need to be at the hotel.”

Jim searches for the clock. “Right.”

“I like most of your friends, Jimmy, but there are just some things I don’t want to leave in that Kelly’s hands.”

“You and me both, mom.”
Chapter End Notes:
Added a few of my own touches. I love my sleeping pants.

Chapter 5 takes place right before the wedding. I get goosebumps just thinking of Jim in a tux and so does Pam.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans