- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
This was a long, hard chapter to write. I really like it though. Plus we get to see a little more of Jim's big brother, Jonathan.

As always, I own none of these characters and no copyright infringement is intended.
Jonathan knocks on the hotel door.

“Come in.”, Pam nervously answers.

Jonathan enters, with his hand behind his back, to see Pam at the balcony door. She’s a vision in silk. He thinks to himself, if he wasn’t married, she would be in so much trouble. Pam turns her gaze to Jonathan.

“You like it then.”

“Yes, you look amazing.”

“Thanks, you can stop drooling now.”

Jonathan wipes his hand over his mouth, then shows her what he’s been hiding behind his back. “You needed one more for your bouquet.” He hands her an ivory colored rose. “Jim just wanted you to know he was thinking of you.”

“Of course, he’s so sweet.” She looks back out the balcony door to the courtyard below. Jonathan joins her at the door. The courtyard is set up with dozens of chairs with ivory chair covers. The isle is already scattered with rose petals. One can only assume an over zealous flower girl had already been at work. “It’s so incredible. It’s perfect. He‘s thought of everything”

“Not everything, but close.” Jonathan takes a small velvet box out of his pocket. “Actually, I was hoping you might wear this.” He opens the box to show the silver chain with diamond pendant hanging from it. “It’s been kind of a tradition in our family. My mother wore it on her wedding day. She gave it to my wife to wear on our wedding day. Now, I’m giving it to you.”

Jonathan takes it out of the box. “I think if three people have worn it, it’s considered a tradition.” She turns as he places it around her neck. She feels the pendant caress her skin.

“I don’t know what to say.”

“You don’t have to say anything.”

“It means so much to me. You know I never had a brother.”

“Well, you have one now. You’re almost a Halpert like the rest of us, so god help you.” Pam lets out a soft laugh then kisses him on the cheek. “Now you know, if our little sister, Jessie, ever decides to take a trip down the isle.”

“I will pass it on to her.” Pam rubs the pendant in between her fingers. “Where is she anyway? I was hoping I would finally be able to meet her.”

“I don’t know. Zimbabwe or something. Our Jessie thinks she needs to be on some sort of safari photo shoot. I e-mailed her, but she couldn’t get a flight back in time. So expect a VERY big gift. You wouldn’t believe all the stuff she sent when Brody was born. Now, enough of that. Do you have everything?”

“I’m assuming this necklace can be my something old. My earrings are my something borrowed from my mother. My dress is something new. Then my something blue is the garter Kelly gave me.”

“Wouldn’t mind seeing that.”

Pam smacks him on the arm. She picks up her bouquet from the dresser and works the rose into it. She picks up Jim’s wedding band that was lying next to her bouquet. She brings it to her lips and kisses it.

“For luck. You’ll hold onto it for me until we need it?“

“Of course.“ Jonathan places it in his pocket. She takes one last look in the mirror. Jonathan steps behind her and rests his hands on her shoulders. “Next time you look in a mirror, you’ll be a married woman.”

“I’ll be a Halpert.” They both smile as Pam hugs Jonathan
.
“Shall I escort you down then.”

“You shall.” Pam takes his arm as he walks her out of the room.

They arrive just out of Jim’s site where Michael and Betty are waiting for her. Jonathan leaves her in their capable hands. He makes his way down the isle to his little brother.

“Where have you been?”

“I was bringing your bride down. She’s waiting for her queue.”

Jim wipes his hands across his tux jacket. His long black tie flush against his crisp, white shirt. His jacket lays across his broad shoulders. “How is she?”

“She’s ready.” Jonathan places his hands on Jim’s shoulders. “Plus, she’s smoking’ hot.”

Jim smacks him on the shoulder. “Thanks for the observation.”

Betty stands with her daughter hand in hand. “I suppose this is my last chance to tell you a few things before…”

“Mom, you’re going to make me start crying, again. This is waterproof mascara, but I don’t know if it can take anymore and the service hasn’t even started.”

“Just let me get this out.” Betty’s voice is a little choked up as she tries not to cry. Pam just listens as she squeezes her hand. “Sometimes a person comes into your life and you know at that moment they were meant to be there. To serve a purpose, teach you a lesson, or help you figure out who you are and who you want to become. Jim is that person for you. For years, he’s been your best friend. Even though the road between becoming friends and realizing you were soul mates was incredibly long, you learned so much about each other along the way. You are the amazing woman you are today because of this journey you’ve been on. In finding Jim, you have found the you I always knew you could be. I am so blessed to have a daughter like you. I have no doubt that you will be happy for the rest of your life with the man you truly love.”

“I love you so much, mom.” Pam finally lets a tear go as she enters her mother’s embrace.

“I love you, too.”

“I love you both. I’m so happy to be here, sharing in this moment.” Michael hugs both women as they start laughing. They had almost forgotten he was standing inches away.

The processional music starts to play. “That’s my queue.” Betty gives Pam’s hand a tight squeeze as she leave to get Brody and the flowerless flower girl down the isle.

“I guess it’s my turn to bestow some words of wisdom.”

“No really, Michael. You don’t have to.”

“It’s just… I’ve always wanted love in my life. I had thought that I had found it so many times. I could just never make it work. When I see you with Jim, I get it. The two of you, it’s how love is suppose to work. You are an inspiration to me and to everyone around you. I have learned how to love from the two of you.”

“Thank you, I think.”

“Your welcome. Just a little something from me to you.”

Michael steps out onto the isle. Pam’s breath catches in her chest as she hears “What a Wonderful World” start to play for her to walk down the isle. Jim stands at the end of the isle waiting to catch a glimpse of his bride. Pam extends her hand to rest in Michael’s. Michael kisses her hand as he pulls her into view. Pam turns to face everyone, but she only sees him. She hardly notices Michael placing her arm around his. Jim smiles as she slowly makes her way down the isle. He can’t take his eyes off her. She’s radiant in a dress that extenuates all of her best features. Her hair is slightly blowing in the breeze when she makes it to end. Michael sticks to the plan. He kisses Pam on the cheek, extends his hand to Jim, then deviates a little by pulling Jim into an embrace. Jim reluctantly pats him on the back. Michael then takes Pam’s hand and places it in Jim’s. A soft sigh seems to emanate from all the guests. Michael starts crying as he makes his way to his seat in the front row.

“We are gathered her to join James and Pamela in the bonds of matrimony.” They could hear the words, but the beat of their hearts was thundering in their ears. Jim almost misses the judge say, “They have prepared their own vows. Jim?”

“What? Yes… sorry.” Jim voice cracks a little. He clears his throat and begins. “Somehow, I never thought this day would come. I’m sure many of you had that feeling.” He turns to look at the guests. “Now that I’m here with you, I have this to pledge to you. I, James, choose you, Pamela, as my best friend and my love for life. I promise to love you, to commit to you, and support you. I will stand by your side and sleep in your arms. I promise to laugh with you in the good times, to struggle with you in bad, to wipe your tears with my hands, to comfort your body with mine, to share everything that I am with you, all the days of my life.” Pam’s smile radiates across her face.

“Pam.”

“I’m not sure I can follow that, but I’ll try.” She sniffles as she begins. “I, Pamela, take you, James, as my husband. I promise to love you, encourage you, and inspire you. I promise to laugh with you in good times and comfort you in bad. I will be your best friend throughout our lives, always putting our family first. I will cherish you all the days of my life.”

Jonathan takes the rings from his coat pocket and hands them to the judge. He hands Jim Pam’s ring.

“Take this ring as a sign on my unending love and fidelity.” Jim slips the band on her finger. He smiles down on her as a tear falls from his cheek.

The judge hands Pam Jim’s ring. She takes Jim’s hand. “Take this ring as a sign of my unending love and fidelity.” She slips it effortlessly across his knuckle and squeezes his hand.

They both let out a sigh of relief as the judge announces, “With the power invested in me by the state of Pennsylvania, I now pronounce you husband and wife. You may kiss the bride.”

Jim places his hand on her cheek and pulls her lips to his. He takes in her breath and lets out a soft moan.

“Not half bad, Halpert.”

“We’re just getting started, Mrs. Halpert.”
Chapter End Notes:
Please let me know what you all think. Chapter 6 finally came to me last night. It's going to be wild.


Lindseyfair is the author of 0 other stories.
This story is a favorite of 6 members. Members who liked How Sweet It Is also liked 2147 other stories.


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans