- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
This is like the fluffiest part of the whole story you guys. Get that Kleenex ready!

I will say that I took a lot of the pastor’s speeches from a wedding website and tweaked them around, so don’t give me credit for it; I don’t own most of his words. I still think I made a good contribution to the chapter though; let me know what you think. Enjoy!
The doors to the church flew open and everyone stood to greet the bride. She walked slowly down the aisle, her father at her side, beaming from ear to ear. The camera panned to the altar, where both Jim and Michael stood with astounded expressions on their faces. Jim sighed sharply as if he was just remembering to breathe, and then came down the small set of steps to meet his bride. He shook her father’s hand and Pam gave her dad a big hug. The couple exchanged a glance and went back up the steps to the altar to await the pastor’s opening remarks.

The pastor began, “James and Pamela, today you are surrounded by your friends and family, all of them gathered to witness your marriage and to share in the joy of this occasion, a day which will be one of the most memorable days of your life. Love is one of the highest experiences that we human beings can have, and it can add deep meaning to our lives. The sensual part of love is truly one of life’s greatest joys—” Pam took her eyes off of her groom for a split second to make sure Michael wasn’t holding back any traces of ‘that’s what she said,’ and was relieved when she found that he wasn’t.

The pastor continued, “When combined with friendship, both parts of love are infinitely enhanced. These sentiments are echoed in a book by Anne Morrow Lindbergh. She writes, ‘For marriage, which is often spoken of as a bond, becomes actually many bonds, many strands, of different textures and strengths, making up a web that is taut and firm. The web is fashioned by many kinds of love: romantic love at first, then a slow-growing devotion and, playing through these, a constantly rippling companionship…’”

xxx

The wedding scene faded out as the voice of the pastor continued with his opening remarks. Scenes of the couple’s early years faded in and out while he spoke: “It is made of loyalties, inter-dependencies, and shared experiences.” Moments of laughing at the reception desk glinted on and off.

“It is woven of memories of meeting and conflicts, of triumphs and disappointments.” The flashback showed times of conflict when the intent of the day was conflict resolution.

“It is a web of communication, a common language, and the acceptance of lack of language, too.” A scene with a silent yet carefully planned exchange of a cell phone unfolded.

“A knowledge of likes and dislikes, of habits and reactions, both physical and mental. It is a web of instincts, and intuitions, and known and unknown exchanges.” Instances of the couple communicating with only their facial expressions flashed one after another. “’The web of marriage is made of nearness, in the day-to-day living side by side, looking… in the same direction.’”

xxx

“Therefore,” the pastor concluded as the cameras returned to the scene of the ceremony, “if that web of connections is a marriage, then a wedding is the acknowledgement of this web, and James and Pamela are honored that all of you are choosing to acknowledge the bond that they share.”

The Scripture was read from and prayers were said, and then the pastor came to the questioning. He began with a preface: “During the wedding ceremony, it is apparent that one individual marries another individual. There is, of course, a way in which that is so. However, the truth is that we marry into one another’s families and into each other’s extended families.” The camera focused in on couple, smiling first at each other and then out at all their friends and family, and the camera followed their gaze. “We need people with us not only on days like this when a once-in-a-lifetime celebration is taking place, but also when tragedy and difficulty arise. We need friends who will not abandon us under any circumstances or in any way.”

The parents of the bride and groom stood as the pastor addressed them: “To the respective families of James and Pamela: this couple wishes to acknowledge the significance of your life-giving relationship to them. Will you grant them your blessing, and pledge them your love and acceptance?” The parents each gave the affirmative answer and sat back down, and then the pastor addressed the congregation: “To those friends of Pamela and James, will all of you witnessing these promises do all in your power to uphold these two persons in their marriage?”

“Hell yes!” Michael shouted enthusiastically, taking everyone by surprise. Jim’s eyes widened in embarrassment and Pam held back her laughter as the pastor tried to recover from the vulgar outburst. Michael darted his eyes around, trying to act nonchalant and ignore what he had just impulsively done.

The pastor cleared his throat, “Uh, we are here then, to celebrate the love James and Pamela have for each other, and to give recognition to their decision to accept one another totally and permanently. Into this state of marriage these two persons come now to be united, with sentiments and promises that they have written and will read aloud to each other.” He motioned to the bride to read hers first, and so she handed her bouquet and “bronze medal” yogurt lid to her maid of honor and carefully unfolded a sheet of paper.

Pam took a deep breath and began to read, “Jim, in my life, I’ve only had one vision of what I thought happiness could be. I was pretty close-minded in that way, and so when I met you, you essentially turned my world upside down. I didn’t know this whole other kind of happiness even existed,” she paused to smile up at him, “and I found myself doubting what I always thought had made me happy and wanting more of the happiness you gave to me. Now that—“ She stopped to wipe her eyes and swallow the lump forming in her throat, “Now that we’re getting married, I know I only want one kind of happiness again: I want your happiness. And so, I promise to always try to make you happy, even when the odds are against me, because…” Her voice cracked, “You mean more to me than anything else in the world. This is my vow to you.”

By this point, she couldn’t fight the tears back any longer, and so she laughed to herself, somewhat embarrassed, as she tried to wipe them from her cheeks. The camera then turned to Jim, who was pulling something out of his pocket. It was a handkerchief, and he handed it to her with a soft smile. She wiped her eyes carefully, and then the pastor motioned that it was Jim’s turn. He grabbed her free hand and spoke, “I didn’t, write anything. Typical guy, I know, but I hope this improvisation turns out alright.” He took a deep breath, trying to maintain his composure, “From the first day I met you, I knew that we clicked. There was something in your laugh and, and the way you smiled at me, or how we could joke around… There was a spark there… And I knew as soon as I noticed it, that I could never let it die. Through all the stuff we went through, I didn’t ever want to give up on us, no matter how hopeless I felt. And I want you to know that, even today, I don’t ever want to see that spark that we have die out. So, I am here. Always. Whether you like it or not—“ they both laughed. “And this… is my promise to you.”

He smiled at her, slightly shaking from expressing those words so openly in front of everyone, and so her grip on his hand tightened as the pastor spoke, “James and Pamela will now exchange rings as an emblem of their vows. The ring is an ancient symbol of love, as the circle never comes to an end and, just like love, is considered to be the most perfect form of all forms in nature. Over the years, your rings will gain in value, for they are the constant symbol at your lifetime together.” Michael handed Jim the rings right on cue as the pastor turned to Jim, “James, as you place this ring, a symbol of your commitment of marriage, on Pamela’s finger, please repeat after me, ‘with this ring I wed you and pledge my faithful love.’”

xxx

The camera panned around as the couple exchanged their rings. They focused in on Kelly, silently sobbing into Darryl’s shoulder, and then panned to Ryan, rolling his eyes at her from a few rows back. They focused in on Andy, also crying like a baby, and Angela next to him, her face remaining stern, but smiling. Dwight sat behind them, not caring about the couple at the altar, but the one sitting directly in front of him. The camera caught Bob Vance kissing Phyllis affectionately on the cheek, and then panned to Kevin and Stacy, smiling at each other, and Toby, who looked somewhat bored, but content. Oscar wiped away a single tear from his face as Gil took his hand, and Meredith, sitting a few rows in front of them, tried her best not to blow her nose too loudly. Terri rested her head on Stanley’s shoulder, and Creed sat in the back playing a Gameboy. Finally, the camera focused on Jan, who was staring into the eyes of her own man, the best man. Her smile was radiant, and the camera panned over to see he was mirroring her smile back to her.

xxx

The camera panned back to the couple as the pastor said the final prayers. The congregation then recited the Lord’s Prayer, and the pastor followed with the traditional blessing. He then told the couple, “When this ceremony began, you, James, were a groom, and you, Pamela, were a bride. Now, James, you are a husband and you, Pamela, are a wife. And so, as a physical symbol of the commitments you have made to each other and the transformation you have undergone here today, you may embrace each other in a kiss.” The couple enveloped themselves in each other, feeling the rapid pulse of their hearts as their lips came together softly. After a moment, they let go and exchanged a dazed, yet blissful glance. The pastor announced, “Ladies and gentlemen, it is my privilege to introduce to you, Mr. and Mrs. James Halpert,” and the couple turned to face a cheering congregation.

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans