- Text Size +
Author's Chapter Notes:
Lisa moves in and gives Jim some advice.

Thanks again to my awesome beta, Elly!

Now, please enjoy!
On Friday night Jim called Pam around 7:00 to finalize plans to help Lisa move in. Since Lisa was 8 months pregnant and practically useless, Pam insisted that she would help with moving Lisa in. Jim had already cleaned the entire apartment and even, went grocery shopping the night before and all he had to do now was move Lisa in tomorrow. Her bed and dresser were the biggest items so Jim called his friend Tom who had a pickup truck. Tom and Pam were coming over at 11:00, and they would all drive to Lisa's.

Jim and Pam decided they should see a movie because for the next 2 days, things were sure to be busy and they wanted an excuse to see each other. Pam picked him up at 7:30 and headed toward the mall. They had some time left before the movie and Pam wanted to pick up a new book she read some reviews on. They went to the book store and found the book right in front on a large display. Pam remembered another book she wanted so she went up to the counter to get some help. Jim was walking around looking at the sports books first, and then he found himself in front of some baby/family planning books, he picked up one about fatherhood. He started flipping the pages and skimming the paragraphs.

Pam found her book after being pointed in the right direction and decided she was good with these 2 for now, she started looking for Jim. She went to the sports section first but there was no Jim, she started to wander the aisles wondering where he was. She stopped behind a shelf when she noticed him in the family section with an open book in his hands. His brow was furrowed and he had that worried look again. She walked toward him and he looked up when he noticed the movement beside him.

"Hey" he shut the book and smiled at her. "Just…curious I guess?" He showed her the front of the book, Pam recognized the title.

"Why don't you get it? My sister bought that one for her husband when she found out she was pregnant. She read it too, said it was good."

"Couldn't hurt, huh?"

"You do need all the help you can get." Jim smiled at her teasing tone. Pam's support was really comforting and her joking helped him not freak out too much. His head was still spinning with all of the sudden changes and Pam was really great trying to keep things at least feeling normal. Jim decided he would get the book and they headed toward the register. Once they had their bags, Pam realized it was 10 minutes until the movie.

After arriving at the theater, they grabbed some snacks and headed inside to find some seats. They were able to get a good spot since the movie was already out for a few weeks and it wasn't very crowded. They shared some popcorn and Pam kept stealing his chocolate raisins. They enjoyed the movie and at times were whispering insults to each other about some of the cheesier moments. Pam was really enjoying the feel of Jim's breath on her neck when he'd lean down to say something to her. She kept wishing he'd hold her hand or put his arm around her, but she had to remind herself that this wasn't a date.

Pam started to feel really tired, she was up early that day and it was probably nearly 10:00. Her eyelids felt heavy and she was really trying to fight it. Jim felt a pressure on his shoulder and looked down to see Pam asleep. It was just like he had that time in the conference room and he had smiled just like he did back then. When the movie was over people were getting up to leave so he had to wake her, "Pam" he whispered and she began to stir.

"Hmm?" she still had her eyes closed and she wasn't ready to move.

"We should get going; the movies over." Pam opened her eyes and sat up, she forgot for a moment where she was, all she could smell was Jim and could feel his warmth on her cheek. She blushed in embarrassment.

"Sorry, I'm just tired." She mumbled as she stood up and started to put her coat on.

"Don't worry about it, do you want me to drive on the way back?"

"Yeah, but I should get a coffee or something, for the drive home."

"Geez, am I that boring, first you fall asleep during the movie, now you need coffee, I'm not a very good date, am I?" He froze for a moment; this wasn't a date, why did he say that?

"Your date skills are fine, I'm just tired because I was up really early."

He relaxed when she apparently brushed off his comment. They made their way to the car and Pam gave him her keys. She was yawning as she climbed into the passenger seat and tossed her books into the back seat. They pulled out of the parking lot. They went to a drive through Dunkin Donuts for Pam's coffee. Jim didn't have one, he was tired too but the coffee would've kept him up all night and he needed to rest for tomorrow.

When they got to his apartment Pam was fully alert, Jim got out of the car as did Pam and she walked around to the drivers side and said goodnight to each other. While driving home, Pam was thinking about his comment about being a bad date. She knew that could never be true. If Jim could make a lunch break at Dunder Mifflin fun, he could make anything fun. She wished they were on a date then maybe she'd be in his arms right now instead of driving back to her empty apartment alone. When she got home she took out her contacts, washed her face and put on her pajamas and glasses then she settled into bed with her new book. She started to feel tired again so she turned out the lights and fell asleep thinking of Jim's warm shoulder and the way she could still smell him just a little bit. Must be in her hair she thought.

The next day moving Lisa's things was not difficult at all. It only took 2 hours to get everything from her apartment and into Jim's. Lisa pointed out where she’d like the bed, her dresser and the crib. Tom and Jim put together her bed and then started on the baby crib, as Lisa and Pam sat in the living room and talked on the couch. They had all of Lisa's clothes folded or on hangers and were waiting to put them in her closet and dresser when they guys were done. Lisa put her feet up on the table and leaned back, she already felt tired and it wasn't even 2:00 yet. There weren't too many boxes in the living room, mostly the few baby items Lisa had picked up, and then one box with her personal items and one for her toiletries.

Pam thought Lisa was really nice and she seemed to be really sweet. Pam couldn't imagine being in her shoes, it seemed like Jim was the only friend she had. She explained that she worked a lot and then her ex-boyfriend Joe had taken up a lot of her other time. She had a few friends, but no family, and she didn't see her friends that often. They started talking about Jim and Lisa said she couldn't believe how great he was being.

"He is really great. He's my best friend and I'm really proud of him." Pam knew he was scared about being a father, but he was doing the responsible thing. Lisa noticed the look in Pam's eyes as she spoke about Jim, and that's when she realized that this must be the girl Jim was talking about that night. She thought her name was familiar that day they met, but she was so preoccupied that she hadn't really thought about it.

"So, you um…you really like him huh?" Lisa asked, she could tell from Pam's face, it was so obvious. And she knew how Jim felt, it was pretty obvious he still felt the same way.

"Um…" she didn't know what to say, it felt kind of weird talking to the mother of Jim's baby about her feelings toward him.

"You said you were single, right?"

"Now I am, I was supposed to get married in June, but I had to get of that, I mean…it wasn't a very good relationship. Roy, my ex, he and I just grew apart."

"And now you have feelings for Jim?"

"Is it that obvious?"

"Just a little. Sorry, I mean…is this weird for you? I know they can't hear us with that music on in there."

"I just, I mean, it's a little weird I guess, with you and Jim having a baby together and all…. Though it does help to talk about, I don't have many girlfriends either, just a few girls from class."

"We're kindred spirits then, except for liking Jim, which I don't, not in that way just so you know." Lisa then chuckled and continued, "I know it sounds bad, but this was really just a one time thing, booze and emotions, not a good mix. But, I'm not sorry about having the baby. I love him more every time he kicks me," she finished as she rubbed her belly.

"Already keeping you on your toes huh?"

"Yep, right now actually, do you wanna feel?" she pulled Pam's hand and rested it where the baby was kicking.

"Wow, that's so cool…my poor sister had this going on all the time, usually when she tried to sleep."

"I get my sleep now, but once he's here, we'll have to see what he's like."

"Feels like he stopped;" Pam pulled her hand back and went to refill their glasses and regroup. She felt like Lisa and she could be friends, however she also felt a type of jealousy that this woman was having Jim’s baby, Jim’s baby by another woman. She really wanted to be with him but she was worried about the jealousy toward Lisa, on the other hand, maybe she could just get past it in time.

She came back in and sat down with Lisa again, who apparently was not done talking about Jim.

"I just want you to understand, I have always thought Jim's a great guy, he's just not my type, you know? And this," she pointed to her belly, "was a one time thing. I know he cares about you, and we're only living together for the baby, just until we both have a grip, I have zero experience with kids, Jim said he has had some so, makes sense I guess."

"Thanks, that helps actually, it's just, I know that I kind of screwed things up with him, so until he's ready, I'll just be his friend."

"Well I hope we can be friends too, deal?"

"Deal"

Pam was very relieved after that conversation, and she knew that things would be okay between her and Jim at some point. Once the crib was done, Jim and Tom carried in the boxes and then Pam and Lisa were able to unpack the baby items and get all of her clothes put away. Jim ordered some sandwiches and they all had lunch when everything was done. Tom left just after lunch while Pam and Jim sat in the living room with Lisa and they had her laughing at stories about Dwight. Pam left at 6:00 to go home, she was having fun but could tell that Lisa seemed tired.

Lisa took a nap and Pam had left so Jim decided to read some of his new book on fatherhood. After about an hour Lisa came out of her room and noticed what Jim was reading, she thought of how sweet it was that he was trying to prepare for the baby with this book. She sat on the couch next to him, "Hey roomie, good book? I have the same one for mothers."

"Well, I knew some stuff before, but this is a bit helpful, only it makes babies sound like complicated stereos or something, there's so much to know and do and remember."

"Well, I think we shouldn't worry too much, cavemen could do it, so can we."

"Maybe, but cavemen invented fire too, they weren't as dumb as people think, could you invent fire?"

"Probably not, good point though."

"How are you feeling? Did you sleep okay?"

"Slept fine, feeling kind of okay, I actually have an appointment Monday."

"Is everything alright? Can I get you anything?"

"I'm fine, but thanks…I just…I guess I'm a little worried. The baby is fine, very healthy and all that, my last appointment was good."

"Why are you worried then, I don't understand?"

"Remember when I told you that the doctor was doing some testing, and I did the paternity and all that?"

"Yeah, I think so, I'm sorry I don't really remember the entire conversation, it was a doozy."

"Yeah, well anyway, the doctor thinks I may have something wrong, and my mom died when I was young, so I'm a bit freaked. I feel fine though, so it could be nothing. Mom was in an accident, she didn't have any disease or anything so, I don't know. I just get scared sometimes, thinking about the baby makes everything more real, or dangerous…I'm not even sure what I'm trying to say. I’m just scared, now I can’t just worry about myself. I have to think of this little guy with everything I consider."

"Yeah, I keep thinking that too, it’s not about me now. So, do you need me to go to your appointment?"

"No, it's okay, should be fine like I said. Anyway…so, you and Pam have been seeing each other a lot huh?"

"Just a bit, we're getting along great."

"I could tell, you two can really tell a story, you seem very in tune with each other, you seem to know her really well."

"Yeah." Jim was smiling, couldn't help it.

"So, are you going to tell her how you feel, now that she's single?"

"What do you mean?" Jim knew exactly what she meant and she didn't know he already told Pam how he felt, 6 months ago.

"Please…..I know that's the same Pam you told me about back in March."

Jim looked at her expectant expression and decided to spill. He told her all about telling Pam he loved her, her rejection, his transfer to Stamford, and then transferring back to Scranton. She listened to everything and then told him he was an ass for not giving her more time. He agreed, but knew he couldn't change the past, and now he had to focus on her and the baby.

"Jim, do you still love her?" she looked at him seriously as she asked, but she knew.

"Completely." of course, who's he kidding?

"Tell her again Jim; because she is definitely interested; so don't be ridiculous!"

"But you and the baby are going to need a lot of my time."

"Jim I am perfectly capable of handling this baby while you go out to dinner with Pam, and he's also a month away. As long as you have a phone, you can get back here if I go into labor. You deserve to be happy Jim."

"Why do you think she's interested?"

"It's obvious dummy, and she kind of admitted it."

"Really?"

"Yes really, now are you going to ask her out?"

"We've been hanging out a lot already."

"But?"

"I don't know, I just didn't think she was interested. She was kind of flirty a few times, but I just didn’t want to hope." he was really surprised she had admitted it to Lisa.

"Well, she is so.... man up!"

"Thanks Lisa, I guess we'll just see what happens."

"Bullshit! You call her right now and ask her to dinner!" Lisa had a smile on her face but her tone was serious.

"You are so bossy."

"Hormones Jim, read your book." She got up and went to the kitchen for a snack while Jim went into his room and called Pam. She picked up on the third ring,

“Hello?”

“Hey”

“Hay is for horses.”

“You’re a comedian, regular Gilda Radner”

“Nice reference, it’s the frizzy hair right? I don’t do it like that anymore you know, in case you haven’t noticed.”

“I noticed, it looks really nice actually.” Pam blushed, he never said anything, but she was glad he told her that.

“So, is this call for business or pleasure? I was watching a movie on TV, cannot rewind it.”

“Which movie? Spice World right? I knew it, closet spice girls fan.”

“My name is Pam, not Kelly thank you!”

“You are correct, terribly sorry, won’t make that mistake again.”

“Good, or I might have to call you Dwight.”

“Anything but that Pam, really, that is just…scary.”

“Alright, so again, what’s up? Did you not get sick of me today?”

“As if that could ever happen.” She could not believe he was flirting with her, did Lisa say something? Lisa tapped on his door. She stuck her head and whispered, “Well?” he held his finger up to her.

“You’re sweet, so….”

“Would you like to have dinner with me tomorrow night?”

“I’d love to. What time should I be there?” at his smile Lisa went back to the living room.

“How about I pick you up at 6:00?”

“Okay, sounds good.”

“Alright, then it’s a date.”

“Okay then.” He could hear the smile in her voice that matched his.

“6:00”

“6:00”

“So, I’ll see you then.”

“I’ll be ready.”

“Bye”

“Bye”
Chapter End Notes:
let me know what you think, or not...just hope the people are getting what they want ;)

You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans