- Text Size +

Pam was so content, that she didn’t even feel him loosen his grip on her, and reach down into his pocket. She loved these moments, just the two of them, wrapped together, not a care in the world. Her face was still pressed to his chest, and she would have happily stayed like that forever if she could.

Jim placed the box on the floor next to them, and began to run a hand up and down Pam’s back, the other still around her shoulders, holding her close to him. He dipped his head down so that his mouth was next to her forehead and spoke softly as he began.

“Hey.”

“Mmmm?” She had her eyes closed contently as she responded to him.

“Think of the happiest moment of your life.” he spoke in a near whisper.

Pam opened her eyes and let out a chuckle. She knew he was serious when she didn’t feel a smile form on his lips and when he didn’t laugh back.

“Oh, I don’t know. Being with you. I‘ve never been happier in my life.”

“Fair enough.” He placed a light kiss on her forehead. “Now think of a time when you felt the most proud of something you accomplished.”

She didn’t even have to think about this one. “My last art show, when my oil painting won first place.”

“Good.” Another kiss. “How about when someone is proud of you, how do you feel?”

“Amazing. Like I can do anything.”

“And you can.” Kiss. “How do you feel when I tell you I love you?”

“Like I’m the luckiest person in the world.”

“I love you, by the way.” Kiss. “How do you feel right now?”

She thought about it for a moment before responding.

“Besides the fact that I’m worried that you’re asking me so many weird questions, I feel…loved…peaceful…like everything is perfect. There is no where else, and no one else I‘d rather be with right now.”

“Me too.” Kiss.

Jim let his lips linger on her forehead for a few seconds before sighing contently. He grabbed the ring box and placed it in his large fist before shifting to gently lift her up, enough so that he could place her back down on the floor, right where his body had been.

“Hey, what’re--”

She was immediately silenced when he dropped to one knee, and moved close to her so that their faces were just a mere foot apart. His eyes were closed and she saw his cheeks were wet with tears. She lifted up one hand to wipe them away, but he opened his eyes before she had a chance to see realize what the tears were for. She placed her raised hand on his cheek, cupping his face.

It took a few seconds for their eyes to lock, but once they did, Pam saw a look she’d never seen in his eyes before. If she didn’t know any better, she’d have thought he was in pain, but the love in his eyes told her otherwise.

He swallowed down the lump in his throat, and smiled as he opened his mouth, never breaking eye contact.

“Pam.” His voice was husky, raw with emotion. She now, too, had tears running down her cheeks. “Every happy memory, every moment you‘ve ever felt loved, and proud, and on top of the word, I want to be the one to help you experience those moments every day, for the rest of your life.”

She let her hand slide down to his shoulder, steadying herself, and her body shook with emotion. It was finally happening.

“I’ll devote my life to making you happy. I love you, and I want to take care of you.” He reached up and took her hand, and placed it over his heart, his hand never leaving the top of hers. “You fill the void that used to exist right here.”

Jim could barely speak anymore, as he watched Pam struggle to control her emotions. She was crying, but wasn’t like he’d seen her cry before. He knew they were happy tears, as were his. He let go of her hand and reached up to smooth her hair and let his hand rest on the side of her face.

“Pamela Morgan Beesly, you’re all I’ve ever wanted.”

He moved his left arm up, from where it had been resting at by his side, and revealed the little black box that had had been hiding. Pam’s breath stopped as he flipped the case open, revealing the most beautiful diamond ring she’d ever laid eyes on.

“Will you marry me?”

She knew words weren’t going to come, so she nodded vigorously, and mouthed a silent ‘yes’. She tried earnestly to wipe away the tears streaming down her face, but Jim gently took her left hand and slid the perfect ring onto his fiancee’s finger.

Perfect. It wasn’t a word she used a lot, but it described everything about that moment. Jim, Jim’s emotion, the proposal, the ring. Them.

Pam leaned forward and threw her arms around his neck, their cheeks meeting, and their tears melting together. Jim wrapped his arms around her and pulled her closer, until she was once again sitting on his lap. Neither one spoke, but they didn’t have to. The silence said it all.

Chapter End Notes:

One more chapter?

Thank you to everyone for your reviews!!!


You must login (register) to review or leave jellybeans